AskAManager discussion

Other Bookshelf Ideas > Historical Fiction

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Third Assistant Librarian (thirdasstlibrarian) | 11 comments I'm not sure about everyone else, but historical fiction is one of my favorite genres.

Kate Morton is probably my favorite author of the genre - her books that are kind of half historical fiction and half mystery. She's written four books at this point, and they all kind of weave in and out of different time periods, generally covering several successive generations - they often start when a woman gets curious about some unexplained aspect of her mother or grandmother's life - and you don't really get the full picture of what's really been going on until the end. The Forgotten Garden and The Secret Keeper are my two favorites, but the others are also quite good.

I also like Alison Weir a lot - she's a historian who writes a lot about English history (mostly in the Wars of the Roses/Tudor eras), and she's written a few fiction books as well. I've really enjoyed the ones that I've read.

message 2: by Eve (new)

Eve | 2 comments I'm reading Philippa Gregory's books on the British queens right now. I find myself rating them as managers! The Red Queen was terrible (as a manager) and the White Queen was better.

Maeve, which of Alison Weir's books should I start with?

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (cocoonofbooks) | 4 comments The Invention of Wings is fantastic! I didn't know it was based on real people until I'd finished it, but that just made it even more interesting.

message 4: by DeAnna (new)

DeAnna | 2 comments You should all try Sharon Kay Penman, especially The Sunne in Splendour and her Welsh trilogy: Here be Dragons, Falls the Shadow, and The Reckoning.

Third Assistant Librarian (thirdasstlibrarian) | 11 comments Eve, I started with A Dangerous Inheritance, which is probably still my favorite, but you really can't go wrong with any - they're all terrific.

I like Philippa Gregory, too, though I haven't read her since I started reading Ask a Manager - there are still a couple I haven't gotten to, and I love the idea of evaluating them as managers as I read!

The Sunne in Splendour is fantastic - definitely second it.

message 6: by Eve (new)

Eve | 2 comments I just finished The Other Queen by Philippa Gregory. It's great to be able to look up historical details so easily on the Internet! I've been trying to figure out to what extent Philippa Gregory's characters think and feel and judge like modern men and women or if they reflect the people of the period. Any opinions?

I empathize best with Bess of Hardwick, who also has very common origins. Mary, Queen of Scots, is clearly entitled and I would hate to have a boss who didn't take any promises seriously. I am surprised how much I dislike George Talbot, Earl of Shrewsbury, considering how much I also value honor, but he has his head in the clouds and a boss with high ideals who goes bankrupt without noticing it isn't going to be able to keep on paying me!