Ancient & Medieval Historical Fiction discussion

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beth (new)

Beth Mast | 34 comments The only Camelot stories I know are the romantic ones. I would like to find some that are more accurate, if one exists. Any recommendations?

message 2: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Jun 10, 2016 06:06PM) (new)

Terri | 19571 comments Hmm..it is a tough one as the ones I know of that cover Arthur's potential time frames in an history, don't really go into Camelot. They are more about Arthur.

I know many people will say Camelot didn't exist..or in the very least, there is no proof of it existing..but I get what you mean, Beth. I assume you mean an historically believable setting. A setting that is a true historical context and IF Arthur were real, then he may have lived in it.

I would recommend Bernard Cornwell's trilogy.
The Winter King
Enemy of God
Excalibur

The Winter King (The Warlord Chronicles, #1) by Bernard Cornwell Enemy of God (The Warlord Chronicles, #2) by Bernard Cornwell Excalibur (The Warlord Chronicles, #3) by Bernard Cornwell

message 3: by happy (new)

happy (happyone) | 2719 comments I'll second Cornwell's trilogy

another series is Jack Whyte's camulod cronicles . It's a nine book set that starts with where Excalibur came from (roughly 380 AD) and ends with the death of Arthur three or four generations later
https://www.goodreads.com/series/4225...

I personally liked it, but there are others here that didn't particularly care for it. If you are sensitive to that sort of thing, there are some fairly graphic scenes of sensuality and violence, esp in the first volume.

message 4: by Beth (new)

Beth Mast | 34 comments I will check out the recommendations, I appreciate it! Thank you

message 5: by Msjodi777 (last edited Sep 20, 2016 07:32PM) (new)

Msjodi777 | 38 comments How about Gwenhwyfar: The White Spirit, quite different from what you are used to, though, there might be some "romance" in it too... don't remember, it's been several years since I read it.

Also Mary Stewart's series starting with The Crystal Cave is old, but still pretty good... though again, don't remember if it had any romance in it.... sorry...

Finally, Stephen R. Lawhead has the The Pendragon Cycle which starts with Taliesin and which I really enjoyed. <><