Smashwords Authors discussion

Matthew Drzymala
This topic is about Matthew Drzymala
Self Promotion > Matthew Drzymala - Starting my own writing group set my mind free.

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matthew (new)

Matthew | 7 comments I'm new to Smashwords, not really being able to format my book correctly but I have finally released some work on Smashwords, with hopefully more to come soon!

My new story collection The Bumpkinton Tales: Volume One is now live on the website for just $3.99. It consists of 5 humorous, cozy stories called Last Christmas, Bittersweet, The Bachelor, The Family Jewels and Albert's Christmas.

If you enjoy a light, gentle read with lots of chuckles and a bit of pathos throw in then this book may appeal to you :)

Hope you enjoy it if you choose to buy a copy.

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view...

message 2: by Matthew (new)

Matthew | 7 comments I always wanted to join a writing group, but was far too nervous to make the leap.

Many seemed rather strict and others unwelcoming unless you write in perfect prose.

All in all it was a little bit disappointing.

However, one day my friend, Anna, told me to start my own with my rules.

It seemed ridiculous, but I did it.

That was September 2015, and its still going strong today!

Read more about it on my website, and if you're local and a writer, why not join us?

http://matthewdrzymala.com/2017/03/10...

message 3: by Cinda (new)

Cinda MacKinnon | 9 comments Writing groups can be frogs or princes i.e you have to "kiss" a few of them to find the right fit. I tried one where everyone was too polite( or unable?) to offer constructive criticism so I got nothing out of it; another where two queen bees thought they knew everything and belittled everyone and finally a wonderful group of good writers full of helpful suggestions - made tactfully! Glad yours is a good one!

message 4: by Matthew (new)

Matthew | 7 comments Thanks, Cinda.

I just couldn't find one that felt right. Just by their descriptions, they sounded stuffy or very harsh which strict rules before you could even go.

Mine I allow people to dip their toe in anD observe and help them gain their confidence. Sometimes others read their work out for them and over time I've seen some fantastic writers come out of their shells.

I only allow constructive criticism and if people are being unnecessarily harsh, I'll tell them but this doesn't really happen.

One writer is now writing a serialised children's story every month that is absolutely phenomenal, and I know she'll have success with it when she's finished. It's just perfect for the age range, she's got it spot on.

I'm really happy that the group has helped her :)