Bookspiration discussion

Group Talk > Reading Challenge 2016

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kat (last edited Jun 10, 2016 12:58AM) (new)

Kat Have you started on a reading challenge this year? How many books did you decide on? How's it going? What's the best/worst book you've read so far?

message 2: by Taylor (new)

Taylor | 7 comments My goal is to read 40 books and I'm already at 18 so I might need to make it 50. The best book I've read is a tie between All The Bright Places, Me Before You and Made You Up. These 3 were all so good and I would read them again in a heartbeat. The worst book I probably read was The Kill Order which is the 4th book in the Maze Runner series. James Dashner should've stopped after 3.

message 3: by Kat (new)

Kat Cady wrote: "My goal is to read 50 books. Its not going so well so far; I've only read 10 books. But I've also been really busy and now I have some downtime, but then again I only have a little over a month bef..."

Don't worry! You still have a lot of time left! I remember the Pretties, I read the book in middle school when it arrived in the library. I don't remember whether I liked it much then but I was remembering the book the other day and decided to give it another go. The first book was really meh, but I guess I was bored that day and went for the sequel. Ugh, horrible. Didn't bother with the 3rd.

message 4: by Kat (new)

Kat My goal is to read 100 books, which I hope wasn't too presumptuous. I'm currently one book behind schedule with 43 books read this year.

The best books I've read would have to be the Roswell High Series, which I was pleasantly surprised to know existed, I used to watch the show with my aunt and later on became slightly obsessed with it on my own. It was my fandom before I knew what a fandom was. Love the show but the books were wayyyy better. The Martian by Andy Weir and The Lizzie Bennet Diaries by Bernie Su and Kate Rodrick are both tied for a close second.

The worst book would either be What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang or The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger or The Last Star by Rick Yancey.

message 5: by Luciana (new)

Luciana (lcruzm) | 22 comments Mod
I set my goals at 120 books this year, and I'm starting to think I might not make it! I've read 30 books so far, and while I think that is a good number, I'm falling behind 23 books late according to the goodreads schedule. I was counting on my holidays to catch up, but now they might get cancelled, so I don't know...

The best book I've read so far was either Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (which I just finished yesterday, and hadn't read before) or Joyland by Stephen King. As for the worst...either Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert (it's not even that bad, just not my kind of thing) or The Colorado Kid by Stephen King (if you've watched the TV show Haven, it's based on that book, and while the show is good, I was so disappointed by the lack of unf in the literary inspiration!).

message 6: by Meg (new)

Meg Rehmert | 7 comments Okay, so my goal was 50. Then I changed it to 30 because I don't know, my reading this year has been slow. I don't know about you all but I go in reading spurts. I will read literally 4 books in a week. And other times it's like I'm in a rut. I'll read one book over the time of one month. I didn't really want to push it this year. I've been busier than usual too. But summer may lead to another change in my goal as I acquire more free time! I've read 11 so far, so I'm already kind of behind. But it should even itself out by the end of the year!

message 7: by Kat (new)

Kat Luciana wrote: "I set my goals at 120 books this year, and I'm starting to think I might not make it! I've read 30 books so far, and while I think that is a good number, I'm falling behind 23 books late according ..."

I heard the same thing about Under The Dome. While the show was interesting and kept you on the edge of your seat, the original by Stephen King was boring and dragged out. I was a little surprised, King being such a huge author and all.

message 8: by Keert (new)

Keert | 8 comments My goal is 50 books. I've read 22 books so far. The best books I've read so far would have to be the first 4 books in the Pretty Little Liars series. Another one would have to be the first book in The Selection series. The worst book would probably have to be The Opposite of Loneliness: Essays and Stories.

message 9: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilysmusespace) | 9 comments Mod
My goal is 50 books! I'm at 30 right now and I might change it if I get up to 40 by the end of July.