AskAManager discussion

Professional Books/Resources > Professional Books recommendations (general)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Third Assistant Librarian (thirdasstlibrarian) | 11 comments I think we're all agreed that this should include something about professional development books/resources, so I thought we should get started!

Which professional development books would you recommend that we put on a bookshelf? Which have made a strong impact on you?

message 2: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (montano) These are a few of my favorites:
Mindset:The New Psychology of Success by Carol Dweck
The First 90 Days by Michael D. Watkins
Scaling Up Excellence: Getting to More Without Settling for Less by Robert I. Sutton
Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking When Stakes Are High by Kerry Patterson
Crucial Confrontations: Tools for Resolving broken promises, violated expectations, and bad behavior by Kerry Patterson

Third Assistant Librarian (thirdasstlibrarian) | 11 comments I'm not sure if it quite counts, because it's more interpersonal relationships in general than strictly workplace situations, but I've found that reading The Gift of Fear by Gavin de Becker has been really helpful in my ability to identify problematic situations, including in the workplace. The domestic violence chapter can definitely be problematic in places, but overall, it's definitely a very valuable read, IMO.

message 5: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 3 comments Nice Girls Don't Get the Corner Office: 101 Unconscious Mistakes Women Make That Sabotage Their Careers

There's definitely some slightly dated advice in there (like your hair should get shorter as your get older), but it's a useful guide.

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jlw4690) | 2 comments I just finished Simon Sinek's Leaders Eat Last and really enjoyed it. His advice is appropriate for people in any sort of leadership position, but I think it's especially relevant for managers. Some of his ideas are maybe a bit too optimistic, but still worth consideration.

Two of my favorite go-to management books are Bob Sutton's The No Asshole Rule: Building a Civilized Workplace and Surviving One That Isn't and Good Boss, Bad Boss: How to Be the Best... and Learn from the Worst. Both are full of practical, real world advice for dealing with the often unpleasant realities of the workplace. They're also really easy reads and are VERY entertaining!

message 7: by Trish (new)

Trish (spygrl1) | 1 comments I'm really enjoying Creativity, Inc. and have been recommending it to colleagues. Pixar is a great model