Christian Theological/Philosophical Book Club discussion

The Cafe - Open Discussion > Burn the Witch

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Lampros | 57 comments Interesting new song from Radiohead. It doesn't say much directly about Christianity or religion, although it speaks to the dangers of social conformity and acquiescence. In the Gospels, Jesus frequently went against the status quo to defend kindness, honor, and common sense. Check it out, see what you think. https://youtu.be/yI2oS2hoL0k

message 2: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle Fun.
We could burn witches - but 99% of them fail the test.
As hard as proving somebody IS a Christian. Going to church doesnt make you a Christian anymore than watching Charmed makes somebody a witch.

message 3: by Xdyj (new)

Xdyj Just curious, can you give an example of the 1% that passed the test?

message 4: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle It's obvious : they flew around on broomsticks and threw pumpkin bombs at people. Sheesh!

message 5: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle What makes somebody an official witch? I don't think it's the hat or black cat.
Although the cornfield orgy with Demons is a clue...and the nose wart.

message 6: by Lee (new)

Lee Harmon (DubiousDisciple) | 2112 comments Xdyj, you're a witch if you can perform as a medium and summon Samuel up from Sheol. But he apparently was content down under the earth, and was a bit cranky when he got top-side: "Why have you disturbed me by bringing me up?" So it's not really a good idea to go around summoning people.

It's a mystery where Samuel got the white robe he was wearing when he came up, since to our knowledge there are no tailors in hell. (We've since quit believing in Sheol and starting calling the underworld "hell".) So there are some disbelievers who think the Witch of Endor was really a trickster in cahoots with a dress-up artist.

I guess we'll never really know.

message 7: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle Funnest comment ever Lee.

The Robe just might mean Samuel went to the heavenly realm.
Sheol is a challenge theologically - best not to rely on grouchy Old Testament characters to give us clear thinking while emotionally distressed. (Abraham, Isaac and Jacob that is).

message 8: by R.J. (new)

R.J. Gilbert (rjagilbert) | 93 comments My definition (as in, it's not in the Webster's dictionary, but it's what I go by based on personal experience) of a witch is somebody who seeks to either control or to make a bargain with any supernatural "something" that is bigger than them. Sometimes it's the old "quid pro quo" deal, and sometimes it's just pagan worship, and sometimes it's the idea of locking up some kind of a genie in a bottle and charging admission to the masses if they want to get a chance at wishing.

Every culture has something like this, because the desire to control that which is larger than us is inherent in human nature. Sometimes it's as simple as the taming of a larger animal--the cow or the elephant. Often, though, it goes farther and dips into the supernatural. Look at the old Egyptian gods and consider that the ones they most sought to appease and tame were the wild animals they were least able to control in real life. The same goes for those who try to control death, weather, health, fertility, prosperity, etc.

It doesn't matter if they say they are trying to appeal to "God", if they're trying to get what they want out of the relationship--if they're trying to tame that which is bigger than them--in my book, it's witchcraft.

message 9: by Robert (new)

Robert Core | 1864 comments If you accidently marry a witch you'll know what one consists of pretty quickly!

message 10: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle There's a reason Satan isn't married.

message 11: by Robert (new)

Robert Lampros | 57 comments Here's a live version of the full album, pretty cool:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew644hg...