Not Just Another Buddy Read discussion

group threads > Erin, Kristy, Karen

Comments Showing 1-50 of 549 (549 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

message 1: by Erin (new)

Erin McGowan  (errorcode) | 130 comments Mod
Ok this is where we'll discuss and choose books. My suggestions for this month are Unholy Magic (Downside Ghosts, #2) by Stacia Kane Fanged & Fabulous (Immortality Bites, #2) by Michelle Rowen or The Vampire Narcise (Regency Draculia, #3) by Colleen Gleason

message 2: by Karen (last edited Jun 09, 2016 09:15PM) (new)

Karen | 227 comments Oh I just saw this! Out of those three I like Unholy Magic the most :)

Also, I love our new mini group thread! Yaay!

message 3: by Erin (new)

Awesome! Then I think we should definitely read that one this month. When you both have a copy, we can start the read

message 4: by Kristy (new)

Kristy | 147 comments All three of them sound good. I'm just wondering since they're part of a series, will we be lost if we haven't read the first one?

message 5: by Erin (new)

I dunno. Most are pretty good. I usually start with a book in the middle and if its good, I'll go back and start at one. Usually by the 4th book, the story is set in its way, rather than all over the place

message 6: by Kristy (new)

Kristy | 147 comments Ok. I got the book so I'm ready whenever you guys are to start reading :)

message 7: by Erin (new)

Awesome, we can start as soon as Karen is ready

message 8: by Karen (new)

Karen | 227 comments I will try to get it tonight. I'll let you know as soon as I do :)

message 9: by Kristy (new)

Kristy | 147 comments Just so you both know - I haven't started reading the book yet.. I only put it in my "Currently Reading" shelf so I wouldn't forget that was the next book I needed to read :-)

I know it's a little weird, but it seems to work for me lol

message 10: by Erin (new)

I do the same thing, otherwise it could wait for weeks

message 11: by Karen (new)

Karen | 227 comments I still haven't gotten my hands on the book but I'll let you know as soon as I do. :)

message 12: by Erin (new)

No worries!

message 13: by Karen (new)

Karen | 227 comments Okay, I got the book :D

We can start reading :)

Should we start tomorrow or the 15th?

message 14: by Erin (new)

15th is good for me. (have an exam tomorrow)

message 15: by Kristy (new)

Kristy | 147 comments 15th also works for me :)

message 16: by Kristy (new)

Kristy | 147 comments Oh and good luck on the exam!

message 17: by Erin (new)

Thanks! I'm not feeling too confident with it. I've read the same sentence 7 times and still cant tell you what it said. Ugh. I wish it was a multiple choice exam

message 18: by Karen (new)

Karen | 227 comments Good luck with those exams!!! I had some hard ones last year...they left me traumatized lol

And okay, the 15th it is :)

message 19: by Erin (new)

Thanks guys. I will totally need this book after the exam, lol. What a great way to destress.

message 20: by Erin (new)

I'm starting mine now. A little late but hopefully I'll catch up

message 21: by Kristy (new)

Kristy | 147 comments I've only read the first chapter so far, this week got a little busy :-)

message 22: by Karen (new)

Karen | 227 comments I'll try to read some today during my down time at work. I read the first couple of pages the day I got it. I was a little confused by what was happening but it was just the beginning so I'll keep reading.

message 23: by Kristy (new)

Kristy | 147 comments I felt the same, Karen. Hopefully we get some answers as it goes on.

message 24: by Erin (new)

I'm up to chapter four. The first one was a bit confusing, but its getting pretty good now

message 25: by Karen (new)

Karen | 227 comments I finished Chapter 1 today at work! It's not bad but I've never read a book like this before. I just finished a book about ghost exterminators that's aimed towards middle school kids. Unholy Magic gave me the same vibe when the specter appeared in chapter 1. But the similarities end right there lol I've never read a book where the main character takes hard drugs and curses and is involved with blood magic. Much darker and grittier than my usual. I wouldn't have picked it up on my own but I guess that's the point of a book club :) It makes you try things you never have before. I'll keep at it!

What should I look forward to up to Chapter 4? Without spoiling of at all possible heehee :)

message 26: by Erin (new)

I know, I was shocked about th drugs myself. It gets pretty interesting. There could be a killer ghost. Or its a gang war. I don't know yet. Lol

message 27: by Erin (new)

So I'm almost finished the book and it gets so much better. I'm still iffy about the drugs, but it works into the story, and makes her more believable as a character, so I can overlook it. So far it's pretty good and I can't wait to see what happens next.

message 28: by Karen (new)

Karen | 227 comments Haven't read more but will give you an update as soon as I do!

message 29: by Kristy (new)

Kristy | 147 comments It definitely gets better & more interesting as it goes on.

message 30: by Erin (new)

I found that too! I'm going to read the next one because I want to know what happens

message 31: by Kristy (new)

Kristy | 147 comments I am just starting Chapter 10, but I was a little frustrated with how Chapter 8 ended and how Chapter 9 began - I felt that there was a part missing. Did you guys get that feeling too?

message 32: by Erin (new)

Is that the chapter that ends with her seeing eyes in her car? Because I was so confused. It felt like they'd skipped a whole chapter, but it does explain it later

message 33: by Kristy (new)

Kristy | 147 comments Yes, that's exactly the part that confused me. I'm glad it gets explained later :-)

message 34: by Erin (new)

I thought they left it at a huge cliffhanger with a guy in her car. Turns out it was a literal pair of eyes. Gouged and placed in her car. That chapter ending really sucked, tbh. The author could have described it so much better.

message 35: by Kristy (new)

Kristy | 147 comments Oh, I thought it was just a reflection in her window of the guy coming to attack her. I completely agree the author could have described that so much better. I was wondering what happened and very confused. I've noticed that the author does jump from place to place though without notice - like the same kind of thing happened when Chess left the Pyle residence to when she's with Lex in that Market. I was confused for a minute on that too. Maybe that's just the author's style though? I'm still interested in the plot though and wish I had more time to read.

message 36: by Erin (new)

The plot is great, but I think the author is trying to make it a cliffhanger on each chapter so that you keep reading. I thought someone was in her car to attack her, so that while scene was super confusing. The plot is good though, I enjoyed it as a whole

message 37: by Kristy (new)

Kristy | 147 comments I agree with you Erin, and it definitely works because I can't wait to read what happens next.

message 38: by Erin (new)

I know! Once you get past the initial confusion, the plot makes up for it

message 39: by Karen (new)

Karen | 227 comments Sorry for being MIA guys! I haven't gotten much reading done but I promise I will finish it eventually!

I already got to the part where Terrible is introduced! Is he the love interest?! Please tell me he is! I read the review you made for the book Erin and it sounded like he was. And I was so surprised but happily so! Since he's introduced as a guy that's not attractive I was thinking ah okay, he's not the love interest but as we read some more I wished he was. He gives me a HUGE Sandor Clegane vibe (aka The Hound from Game of Thrones) who I loveeee. I can't wait to read more.

message 40: by Kristy (new)

Kristy | 147 comments So far it seems as though he's interested in her & there's a chance she's interested in him, but she's with someone else ...at least as far as I've read - I think I'm on chapter 10 or maybe 11 now lol
I personally think her & Terrible would be great together (he's so sweet towards her).

message 41: by Erin (new)

He's so wonderful. Shes scared of commitment and he's in love with her. There's some betrayal left to happen and terrible stops talking to her completely. I have the next book so I can see what happens.

message 42: by Kristy (new)

Kristy | 147 comments Oh my word, so much is happening & I can't put the book down lol

message 43: by Kristy (new)

Kristy | 147 comments OMG! I can't believe that just happened! I just finished chapter 22 & yikes... I'm speechless, what a way for the bad guys to get at her.

message 44: by Erin (new)

I know!! I loved the book so much

message 45: by Karen (last edited Jun 25, 2016 09:56PM) (new)

Karen | 227 comments Sorry for being behind you guys! I'm on Chapter 5 but I plan to read diligently tomorrow and make a lot more progress. I will finish it before the end of the month!

I haven't read the last few posts between you two just because I'm scared of getting spoiled but I will go back to them and read them and reply :) I got the gist of it and glad to hear the book is good and gets really exciting!

Still so many little things about the world I don't understand. The world they live in itself due to this Haunted Week but it's slowly coming together. I think at the end of Chapter 4 they referenced something she went through in the first book.

Omg that street fight was so intense! Love the images in my head of the hookers taking out their cleverly hidden weapons and fighting the gang dudes lol So gritty! I usually read Harry Potter/Game of Thrones level action where stuff gets thrown around and then there is one final dramatic blow but in this book stuff gets real fast! And omg, murderer wearing the eyes of the girl he just killed? Creeeepy!! I also think it's interesting how she has changed up the street dialect/slang. I get surprised by the little details the author throws in but she's slowly building up this very unique world in my head. So the MC is juggling two gangs and the Church? Uh oh! Looks like a recipe for disaster! I'm going to keep reading :) I'll be back with more comments then!

message 46: by Erin (new)

It's a huge disaster in the end, but the story is well worth it. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. I've borrowed the next book in the series to continue it

message 47: by Kristy (new)

Kristy | 147 comments I just finished the book & I'm torn... I really enjoyed the main plot, but the subplot was just not my thing I guess. I absolutely loved Terrible & the ending (oh my word!) but I just didn't like how Chess treated him. I won't say any more since I know Karen is still reading, but I did enjoy the mystery & action. Overall I enjoyed it :)

message 48: by Erin (new)

I'm interested in reading more, but I agree that I hate the way she treated him. But I can see the reasoning why she did that.

message 49: by Karen (last edited Jun 28, 2016 05:48PM) (new)

Karen | 227 comments Unholy Magic is the only book I'm reading now and I'm revving up the reading speed. I'm in the middle of Chapter 9.

I'll keep posting little thoughts here.

1. I love how technical the author gets with the magic/ghost aspect. Chess could recognize the species of owl from one look at a feather! Amazing! I wonder how much training the Church gives their employees. That part is pretty interesting. Also, how there is a prison for ghosts?!! Waaaah?? I thought they would get exterminated, sent on to the afterlife and that was that so was very surprised by the ghost prison. Also, the ghosts get tortured. The Church does not play around lol

2. The part where Chess goes to the movie star's house for the first time and feels the awful thing in the bathroom! Intriguing...wonder where that is going to lead.

3. Where does the author come up with these little details?!! The fact that the hookers don't like anyone touching their purses cause they can't control who touches their bodies but they can control who touches their stuff. Wow. The author throwing in little details like that always takes me by surprise.

4. Awwww Terrible took her out to eat at a dinner which led to her not doing hard drugs. He's good for her!!! And awww he told her she was smart and she blushed LOL

5. Got to the weird transition at the end of Chapter 8. I'm not sure if I hadn't read your posts I would have realized she meant literally carved out eyeballs instead of eyes still on a person's face. She should have used the word eyeballs instead of eyes. It does say "eyes sitting placidly on gray fabric" but eyeballs would have made it clear. It is a bit weird of a transition regardless. Usually when you end on a cliff hanger the next scene doesn't include the same people/person that was in the cliffhanger scene. Or if it does, it is that person dealing with the aftermath of the cliffhanger moment and then inserting a flashback to explain what happened. Oh well.

I'll be back once I've read some more :)

message 50: by Karen (last edited Jun 28, 2016 09:40AM) (new)

Karen | 227 comments I'm on Chapter 13 right now. Sorry I'm taking forever but I haven't really found my pacing with this book. I haven't gotten sucked in.

Again, I love some of the clever lines and details the author comes up with. It really helps form a picture in your mind. The latest was when Terrible was beating up some guy named Nestor to collect a debt and she writes "Nestor nodded - Nestor's entire body seemed to nod, but that could have been convulsion."

LOL it's so wrong but it couldn't paint a more perfect picture of the guy writhing in pain on the floor.

What I didn't enjoy was the chase scene in the crematorium the chapter before. It was so disorienting. I couldn't picture it in my head at all. I don't get the ghosts in this book and I'm not sure if it's cause we don't have some backstory but they can physically manifest at random? It's so odd. Also, during this scene is where it really hit me that the bad guy aka the murderer is using sex magic so the whole time Chess is fighting this guy she feels aroused. It's just weird to me. I don't think it's really necessary. Just odd, throws me off. So...let's see if it starts making sense or really "working" as the story progresses.

Also, now I'm starting to see more of Chess and the way she's playing both sides and how deep her addiction to drugs is. I like flawed characters for the most part though. Mostly because it gives them room for redemption and I love a good redemption story. But...based on what you guys said that doesn't happen in this installment of the series so not sure how I'll feel at the end of the book.

Edit: Just finished Chapter 13! Oooooh now she's REALLY working both sides. Again the blow up for this is really inevitable...

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11