Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

The Story of Lucy Gault
This topic is about The Story of Lucy Gault
The Story of Lucy Gault, by William Trevor

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tracey (traceyrb) This was my week 20 choice; book with a first name in the title.
I was torn between giving this a 4 or a 5. This book is definitely one I would re-read even though the story is melancholy and sad.
The author is a true writer. Many people write books but few can write as this man could. In years to come I believe and hope this book will be considered a classic.
The story begins in 1921 and moves on through time. I won't spoil the story by saying too much but if you are a person who loves being able to be in the moment and be transported by the power of the word to the time and place of the story, then this book is for you.
I haven't read anything else by this author but I will look out for more of his works now.
Beautiful, lyrical, melancholy, heartbreaking, redeeming and real. What people's emotions, rash decisions, selfishness, selflessness and obsessions can do.
As the author said in the story, "Calamity shaped a life, when long ago, chance was so cruel. Calamity shapes the story that is told, and the reason for its being....

message 2: by Stacey (new)

Stacey D.  | 1707 comments You should read Felicia's Journey, if you like Trevor's work. I read it for Week 20, too. But all in all - it's a very sad - and chilling - story.