RDG 6319 Foundations of Reading, Summer 2016 discussion

4 views
The One and Only Ivan

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Thornton | 19 comments I was not expecting to like this book at all. After a slow start, I could not put it down! Katherine Applegate does an amazing job at capturing the feelings of the animals. I could not help but feel sympathy for the animals at the mall and then began to think about the animals who really experience this. It is also cool that it is inspired by true events. The way that the book is organized is also interesting. It seems like it would be a tough read based on the thickness but really it is not.


message 2: by Nickole (new)

Nickole Castillo | 39 comments I thought the same thing about the thickness of the book, but it wasn't too bad. I get worried sometimes when the books get thicker; I'm not sure if they'll be any good or not. I like this story, and it reminded me of the gorilla at the zoo who just died. It's always sad to see animals locked up behind glass walls. I would definitely have this book in my classroom library.

-Nickole


message 3: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Weaver | 39 comments Nickole wrote: "I thought the same thing about the thickness of the book, but it wasn't too bad. I get worried sometimes when the books get thicker; I'm not sure if they'll be any good or not. I like this story, a..."

When Stella was sharing the story of the little boy who fell into the gorilla's area at the zoo, I couldn't help but think about how polarizing that recent situation in Ohio has been!


message 4: by Kimberly (last edited Jun 10, 2016 08:39AM) (new)

Kimberly Weaver | 39 comments Victoria wrote: "I was not expecting to like this book at all. After a slow start, I could not put it down! Katherine Applegate does an amazing job at capturing the feelings of the animals. I could not help but fee..."

I really enjoyed this book as well! I'm not a animal activist or anything, but the way Mack was treating Stella and Ruby made me so angry!


message 5: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Weaver | 39 comments This was a great read! My daughter LOVES animals. We took her on the African Safari at Disney World last summer (she slept through the whole thing), and rhinos charged our jeep! I was a nervous wreck the whole time. We went to the FW Zoo a few months ago, and I was so paranoid she was going to fall in with the lions that I had a hard time enjoying the experience. I have really enjoyed reading these books; each one has reminded me that books are great teachers. Despite basically being imprisoned, Ivan, Stella, Bob, and Ruby still formed a very close community. Ivan being able to use his gift as an artist to free his 'family' was inspiring!


message 6: by Robyn (new)

Robyn | 18 comments I like how the story is told from the point of view of Ivan. Ivan has adapted to humans watching him and scarcely thinks about the jungle. This book shows that little things can change someone’s life. I think this book would work great with fact and fiction – history of the real Ivan. Students could research the mountain gorilla in its natural habitat and think about ideas to help gorillas worldwide


message 7: by Nickole (new)

Nickole Castillo | 39 comments Robyn wrote: "I like how the story is told from the point of view of Ivan. Ivan has adapted to humans watching him and scarcely thinks about the jungle. This book shows that little things can change someone’s li..."

I like your idea of using fact or fiction activities with this book, I think you could find some great activities to go along with the true story of Ivan. :)
-Nickole


back to top