The Challenge Factory discussion

♦TCF Monopoly Archives♦ > TCF Monopoly Maddison vs Amanda vs Neretan vs NancyMaire

Comments Showing 1-50 of 156 (156 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Paris (new)

Paris (pah13) | 4285 comments

Roll Dice

Monopoly Rules

• You do not need to wait for the other player to finish reading before you take your next turn. As soon as you're done reading, go ahead and roll.
• Each property is represented by a shelf. For each grouping of shelves/properties you would read a certain amount of books from that shelf. Once you finish the amount of books you would then “Own” that shelf.
• If you land on an “owned” shelf you would have to read a certain amount of books above what the owner had to read.
• If one person “owns” all of the books in a group (think Mediterranean and Baltic) and another player lands on their properties they would be able to recommend at least one of the books that the player has to read.
Utilities – For the Electric Company – Read a book where the characters have electric chemistry. For Water Works – Read a book that makes you cry. Books have to be 150 pages or more.
• If a player lands on an “Owned” utility, then the owner will recommend a book with electric chemistry or that makes them cry.
Railroads – For Reading Railroad – Read whatever you want. For Pennsylvania Railroad – Read a book set in Pennsylvania. For B&O Railroad – Read a book that someone else thought stunk. For Short Line – Read a novella. Page minimum 150 for all but Short Line. 25 page minimum for the novella.
• If a player lands on an “owned” railroad, the owner will recommend a book for that specific railroad.
Chance and Community Chest – there are 12 cards for each. If a player lands on one of those spots they will roll the dice a second time and then would “pull” the corresponding card and do whatever it says on the card. Once a card is used, it will be out of play unless needed to finish the game. Books for this would need to be at least 150 pages.
Being in Jail – To get out of jail you would need to have one of the get out of jail free cards, roll doubles on one of your next three turns or read a book where a character is arrested or has been in jail. Books for this would need to be 150 pages or more.
Just Visiting – Read a novella of your choice, 50 page minimum
Free Parking – Read any book 100 pages or more
Go – Read any book of 200 pages or more
Luxury Tax/Income Tax – Read a book with a rich character, a really poor character or someone that works in a bank. 150 pages or more
• Each roll, you'll post your starting spot, the roll and your new spot on the board.
• When you finish your book you'll post the spot your on, book name, rating, when it was finished and a short review of the book. If you were supposed to read a book that had a specific element (water works utility, book that made you cry), then please mention that in the review.
• Re-reads are allowed.

Link to Frequently Asked Game Questions

message 2: by Paris (new)

Paris (pah13) | 4285 comments Property/Shelves - Version B

Mediterranean Avenue – Books read must start with M. - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.
Baltic Avenue - Books read must start with B. - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.

Oriental Avenue - Books read must start with O. - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.
Vermont Avenue - Books read must start with V. - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.
Connecticut Avenue - Books read must start with C. - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.

St. Charles Place – Author’s first or last name must start with C. - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.
States Avenue - Author’s first or last name must start with S. - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.
Virginia Avenue - Author’s first or last name must start with V. - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.

St. James Place - Author’s first or last name must start with J. - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.
Tennessee Avenue - Author’s first or last name must start with T. - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.
New York Avenue - Author’s first or last name must start with N. - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.

Kentucky Avenue - Author’s name or book title must start with K. - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.
Indiana Avenue - Author’s name or book title must start with I. - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.
Illinois Avenue - Author’s name or book title must start with I. - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.

Atlantic Avenue - Author’s name or book title must start with A. - Must read 2 books to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned.
Ventnor Avenue - Author’s name or book title must start with V. - Must read 2 books to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned.
Marvin Gardens - Author’s name or book title must start with M. - Must read 2 books to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned.

Pacific Avenue - Author’s name or book title must start with P. - Must read 2 books to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned and 1 of those books must also have a green cover.
North Carolina Avenue - Author’s name or book title must start with N. - Must read 2 books to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned and 1 of those books must also have a green cover.
Pennsylvania Avenue - Author’s name or book title must start with P. - Must read 2 books to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned and 1 of those books must also have a green cover.

Park Place - Author’s name or book title must start with P. - Must read 3 books to own and 1 of those books must also have a blue cover. Must read 5 books if the property is owned and 2 of those books must also have a blue cover.
Boardwalk - Author’s name or book title must start with B. - Must read 3 books to own and 1 of those books must also have a blue cover. Must read 5 books if the property is owned and 2 of those books must also have a blue cover.

message 3: by Paris (new)

Paris (pah13) | 4285 comments Community Chest

2. Get out of Jail Free
3. Holiday Fund Matures - Read a Holiday themed book.
4. Yes Sir! - Read a book with a bossy character.
5. Go Directly to Jail
6. Laugh Riot - Read a book that makes you laugh.
7. Go Forward 3 Spaces
8. Fight Night - Read a book with a fight in it.
9. Advanced to St. Charles Place
10. You Inherit $100 - Read a book that was given to you or with a character in it that has inherited something.
11. Pay the Hospital - Read a book that takes place in a hospital or where someone goes to the hospital.
12. You've won a beauty contest - Read a book where a character is considered beautiful.

Chance

2. Advance to Illinois Ave
3. Fright Night - Read a book that scares you.
4. Get out of Jail Free
5. Play Ball - Read a book with a sports theme or athlete in it.
6. Go to Jail
7. Sing A Long - Read a book with a musician
8. Go Back 3 Spaces
9. Warm & Fuzzy - Read a book that makes you feel warm & fuzzy or that has a pet in it.
10. It's Your Birthday - Read a book you got for your birthday or where someone celebrates their birthday.
11. Great Job! - Read a book where the main characters works for a living.
12. Pay For School - Read a book that takes place in a school or where someone goes to school.

message 4: by Maddie (last edited Oct 22, 2017 07:40PM) (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3592 comments Tracking
Mediterranean Avenue
Baltic Avenue

Oriental Avenue - Owned by Nereta
Vermont Avenue
Connecticut Avenue

St Charles Place - Owned by Maddie
States Avenue
Virginia Avenue - Owned by Nancy

St James Place - Owned by Nereta
Tennessee Avenue - Owned by Maddie
New York Avenue

Kentucky Avenue
Indiana Avenue
Illinois Avenue - Owned by Maddie

Atlantic Avenue - Owned by Nereta
Ventnor Avenue - Owned by Nancy
Marvin Gardens - Owned by Maddie

Pacific Avenue - Owned by Maddie
North Carolina Avenue
Pennsylvania Avenue - Owned by Nereta

Park Place
Boardwalk - Owned by Nancy

Water Works
Electric Company

Reading Railroad
Pennsylvania Railroad
B&O Railroad
Short Line Railroad - Owned by Nancy

message 5: by Maddie (last edited Oct 16, 2017 02:26AM) (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3592 comments Community Chest
2. Get out of Jail Free
3. Holiday Fund Matures - Read a Holiday themed book.
4. Yes Sir! - Read a book with a bossy character.
5. Go Directly to Jail
6. Laugh Riot - Read a book that makes you laugh.
7. Go Forward 3 Spaces
8. Fight Night - Read a book with a fight in it. Maddison
9. Advanced to St. Charles Place
10. You Inherit $100 - Read a book that was given to you or with a character in it that has inherited something.
11. Pay the Hospital - Read a book that takes place in a hospital or where someone goes to the hospital.
12. You've won a beauty contest - Read a book where a character is considered beautiful.

Chance
2. Advance to Illinois Ave
3. Fright Night - Read a book that scares you.
4. Get out of Jail Free
5. Play Ball - Read a book with a sports theme or athlete in it.
6. Go to Jail
7. Sing A Long - Read a book with a musician
8. Go Back 3 Spaces
9. Warm & Fuzzy - Read a book that makes you feel warm & fuzzy or that has a pet in it.
10. It's Your Birthday - Read a book you got for your birthday or where someone celebrates their birthday.
11. Great Job! - Read a book where the main characters works for a living.
12. Pay For School - Read a book that takes place in a school or where someone goes to school.

message 6: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3592 comments Bummed rolled a 5+2=7
Start: Go
End: Chance :/ (I always end up with something as a non-property on my first roll)
Chance Roll: 3+3=6
Task: Are you joking me right now? GO TO JAIL!

message 7: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3592 comments Wow this is turning out really well.

Jail Roll 1: 4+1=5

At least if I don't roll doubles tomorrow my current book has characters who are imprisoned, even though it's not the typical jail.

♎ Nereta♎  (littlecleo) | 65 comments Hi, thank you for letting me join!

♎ Nereta♎  (littlecleo) | 65 comments Rolled a 5+1=6
End: Oriental Avenue

Task:Books read must start with O. - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.

message 10: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3592 comments Good luck with that one!

message 11: by Nancy85 (new)

Nancy85 (nancymarie85) | 773 comments Roll 1: 4 (1+3)
Finish: Income Tax
Task: Read a book with a rich character, a really poor character or someone that works in a bank. 150 pages or more

message 12: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3592 comments Everyone's always landing on income tax!

message 13: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3592 comments You and I aren't too good at landing on properties first go, are we Nancy :p

message 14: by ♎ Nereta♎ (new)

♎ Nereta♎  (littlecleo) | 65 comments What if two people stand on the same property before that property is owned?

message 15: by Nancy85 (new)

Nancy85 (nancymarie85) | 773 comments No we are not Maddison

message 16: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3592 comments @Nereta: Then the person who finishes first gets it, but the other person doesn't need to pay rent, they just read what it would cost to own it and then move on.

message 17: by ♎ Nereta♎ (new)

♎ Nereta♎  (littlecleo) | 65 comments Maddison wrote: "@Nereta: Then the person who finishes first gets it, but the other person doesn't need to pay rent, they just read what it would cost to own it and then move on."

Thank you

message 18: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3592 comments Algood.

message 19: by Nancy85 (new)

Nancy85 (nancymarie85) | 773 comments The Miserable Mill (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #4) by Lemony Snicket
Read: 6/12/16
Rate: 5 stars
Review: This is the 4th book in the unfortunate events. This time the children are sent to a mill to work til they get to a certain age. Like the first three books, Count Olaf tries anything that he can to get the children's fortune, but like the first three books, he gets caught by the children and the banker and he always escapes. Hopefully, he will really get caught in the next book.

message 20: by Nancy85 (new)

Nancy85 (nancymarie85) | 773 comments Roll 2: 6 (3+3)
Start: Income tax
Finish: Just Visiting
Task: Read a novella of your choice, 50 page minimum

message 21: by ♎ Nereta♎ (last edited Jun 30, 2016 03:29PM) (new)

♎ Nereta♎  (littlecleo) | 65 comments Completion post
Book One Pink Line by Dina Silver
Date read 06/16/16
Rating 5 stars
How it fits
Title starts with o letter
Review:
I loved this book since its similar to real life situations. Sometimes we make big mistakes and just person who cares very much about you can forgive them. It showed me that true love can overcome anything if needed.

message 22: by ♎ Nereta♎ (new)

♎ Nereta♎  (littlecleo) | 65 comments Rolled 5+5=10
Start: Oriental Avenue
End: St. James Place - Author’s first or last name must start with J. - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned

message 23: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3592 comments Updating that you now own Oriental :)

message 24: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3592 comments Are you able to link to your book that starts with O? Because Pink Line doesn't start with an O?

message 25: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3592 comments Jail Book
Henry VIII's Wives The Story of Henry's six queens by Alison Prince
Task: Read a book where characters are imprisoned
How it fits: Henry imprisoned many wives/subjects/randoms
Date read: 18/6/16
Rating: 4 stars

Review: I'm glad I finally read this one :) I've owned it for a while, and have been meaning to read it. I thought it was actually a compilation of three littler books, but to find out it was it's own whole story is awesome :D And rather educational too, about Henry VIII's six wives: Catherine of Aragon, Katherine Howard, Katherine Parr, Jane Seymour, Anne of Cleves and Anne Boleyn. So many Katherine's and Anne's! I would be incredibly scared if I was one of Henry's wives, and if any I'd prefer to be Catherine, his first. I can't believe he would kill 4 of them, and then claim to have loved them, while still finding a new wife so soon. I liked the POV, as she wasn't really a lady-in-waiting, more of just a court lady. And I'm so pleased that she and Will got married :) Sad about the miscarriage, but surprising that her friend Kitty had like 4 consecutive children. Also that she was like 14/15 when she got pregnant the first time? That's so crazy, thinking that by my age (18) I would have at least one child. Such a different world we live in.

message 26: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3592 comments I didn't even roll my second and third set of dice to see if I got doubles haha. Oh well. Forgot about it.

message 27: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3592 comments Rolled 5+1=6
Start: Jail
End: St. James Place
Task: J Author

I'll be reading Below the mountains the diary of Amy McDonald, Milford Road, 1935-36  by Jean Bennett

message 28: by ♎ Nereta♎ (new)

♎ Nereta♎  (littlecleo) | 65 comments Maddison wrote: "Are you able to link to your book that starts with O? Because Pink Line doesn't start with an O?"

Its one pink line :-)

message 29: by ♎ Nereta♎ (last edited Jun 30, 2016 03:21PM) (new)

♎ Nereta♎  (littlecleo) | 65 comments Book Halfway to the Grave jeaniene frost
Task St. James Place - Author’s first or last name must start with J. - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned
Date finished 06/19/16
Rating 5 stars
Review:
My friend said that this book is worth reading so I gave it a shot and I dont regret it. The storyline was great. Once I started reading I couldnt put it down. Before this book I didnt really like paranormal stuff such as vampires, werewolves, ect. But this book changed my views. Its one of my favorite books now.

message 30: by ♎ Nereta♎ (new)

♎ Nereta♎  (littlecleo) | 65 comments Rolled 6+4
Start: st. James place
End: Atlantic Avenue - Author’s name or book title must start with A. - Must read 2 books to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned.

message 31: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3592 comments Oh bummer you just beat me to St. James Place! Oh well at least I still only need to read 1 book haha.

message 32: by Nancy85 (new)

Nancy85 (nancymarie85) | 773 comments Just letting you know, I still want to play the game but I haven't been able to read since last Thursday. I had to go to the ER twice yesterday so I don't know when i'll be able to read again.

message 33: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3592 comments Whoops I missed updating this a while back!

message 34: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3592 comments St. James Place Completion
Below the mountains the diary of Amy McDonald, Milford Road, 1935-36  by Jean Bennett
Rating: 3 stars
Read: 19/6/16
Task: Read a book with a B author
Task: Author Jean Bennett

Review: This was a quick read. Interesting to read about the history of my country 80 years ago. Seems like such a hard life, even though it's not the worst I've read. Can't imagine being scared of earthquakes and avalanches all the time, and getting no sun during the winter. Or of freezing so much with only thin little blankets in the middle of winter. Really glad that Angela and the mum were okay throughout the pregnancy.

message 35: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3592 comments Rolled 6+2=8
Start: St. James Place
End: Illinois Avenue
Task: Author/Title start with I

Bummer don't own any property yet and Nereta owns 2!

message 36: by ♎ Nereta♎ (last edited Jun 30, 2016 03:17PM) (new)

♎ Nereta♎  (littlecleo) | 65 comments Book The Hot Corner
Author Amy Noelle
Task Author/title starts with A
Date finished 07/01/16
Rating 5 stars
How it fits: Authors name is Amy
Review:
The first why I read this book is because I love sports. I came across baseball not long ago since I live in Lithuania where baseball is rare. I liked this book since its about romance. I liked the heroine. She was a little bit a naive, but very much. I think she didnt make mistake by leaving ex. But I was happy thag they came together. It shows that true love does exist and if one wants to be happy he or she has to fight for it.

I need to read another one to own this property

message 37: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3592 comments Thanks for mentioning you need another :) Helps with tracking.

message 38: by Nancy85 (last edited Jul 02, 2016 04:32PM) (new)

Nancy85 (nancymarie85) | 773 comments The Divine Souls a novella (The Divine Souls, #1) by J.H. Kieren
Read: 7/2/16
Rate: 3 stars
Review: This was an interesting novella. I liked it. I liked the characters of this novella. I might check out the authors other books.

message 39: by Nancy85 (new)

Nancy85 (nancymarie85) | 773 comments Rolled 6+4=10
Start: Just Visiting
Finish: Free Parking
Task: Read any book 100 pages or more

message 40: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3592 comments Easy haha.

message 41: by ♎ Nereta♎ (new)

♎ Nereta♎  (littlecleo) | 65 comments Completion post

Book Infinity + One
Author Amy Harmon
Task Author/title starts with A
Date read 07/03/16
Rating 3 stars
How it fits Authors name starts with A (Amy)
Review
I read this book because my friend recommended it. It was sweet road-trip romance book. Bonnie and Clyde two sad people meet in unsual situation. They met on bridge when Bonnie was thinking of jumping from it but is stopped by Clyde and then their trip to Vegas began. I gave it three stars because it was well written but just not my type of book.

I own now Atlantic Avenue

message 42: by ♎ Nereta♎ (new)

♎ Nereta♎  (littlecleo) | 65 comments Rolled 4+4=8
Start:Atlantic Avenue
End:Pennsylvania Avenue
Task:Author’s name or book title must start with P. - Must read 2 books to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned and 1 of those books must also have a green cover.
You rolled 2 dice:

4 4

Timestamp: 2016-07-03 07:24:57 UTC

message 43: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3592 comments Updating.

message 44: by ♎ Nereta♎ (new)

♎ Nereta♎  (littlecleo) | 65 comments How it is going guys? I feel that I am much more ahead. Maybe I need to slow down a bit?

message 45: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3592 comments Na it's alright, it just depends what books I have planned. I don't read specifically for challenges.

message 46: by ♎ Nereta♎ (last edited Jul 03, 2016 01:14AM) (new)

♎ Nereta♎  (littlecleo) | 65 comments Thats good. I have a question. What if there is just authors initials. Does it still work for Task?

message 47: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3592 comments What do you mean?

message 48: by ♎ Nereta♎ (last edited Jul 03, 2016 01:21AM) (new)

♎ Nereta♎  (littlecleo) | 65 comments The Dead Key is writted by author D.M.Pulley. So if the task is to read book by authors whose first name starts with D letter. Would it work?

message 49: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3592 comments Yeahp :) As long as one of their names starts with the letter.

message 50: by Maddie (last edited Jul 12, 2016 07:19PM) (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3592 comments Illinois Avenue Completion
Indiana Jones and the Pyramid of the Sorcerer by Ryder Windham
Task: Read a book with an I author/title
How it fits: Title Indiana
Date read: 13/7/16
Rating: 3 stars

Review: I like how even this children's book can hook me :p I was even surprised when (view spoiler) and I like Bert. I was glad when (view spoiler) Glad I finally read this, means I can sell it :p

« previous 1 3 4