The Story of Ferdinand The Story of Ferdinand discussion

Forgotten Gems

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

David Rose I thought some of us might enjoy sharing the treasured books of distant memory that began us on our voyage of discovery.

Anyone remember this one: Wasp?

How about The Story of Ferdinand?

Or (for younger readers this might qualify as long ago): Jonathan Livingston Seagull?

GoodReads is helping me rediscover books like this, which I last read at least 30 years ago and had completely forgotten about.

What dusty treasure have you rediscovered?

I'm going to ask that we restrict this to books published before 1980; otherwise they've not gathered enough dust!

Fernanda Bomtempo-Marzo A Wrinkle in Time (Time, #1) by Madeleine L'Engle loved that book.... Read several of her books...

Joanne I read Ferdinand to my grandsons.

David Rose Fernanda wrote: "A Wrinkle in Time (Time, #1) by Madeleine L'Engle loved that book.... Read several of her books..."

Somehow I missed it. Now it's added to my to-read shelf. Thank you!

message 5: by Sam (new)

Sam Anderson This was always my number one Arthurian story, and I think it always will be: The Once and Future King

Kylie My son became obsessed with Ferdinand when he was 2 or so... that bee! He loved it.

I reread the first three novels (maybe only 3 novels?) in the Wrinkle in Time series 5 years ago or so. Loved them all over again! Reread the first 4 Wizard of Oz novels and The Phantom Tollbooth around that time as well. Great stuff.

Carrie Pokey little puppy is a classic. I read it as a child, now I read it to my nephews. Love it!

Joanne There were a lot of good old Golden Books. I remember one where bunnies made a dragon costume, to scare a weasel I think.

David Rose Joanne wrote: "There were a lot of good old Golden Books. I remember one where bunnies made a dragon costume, to scare a weasel I think."

I found two descriptions and a link. Would this be the book you remember?

The Little Golden Book The Lively Little Rabbit has the rabbits and an owl build a long dragon costume out of tree bark and leaves, with all of the rabbits underneath it and the owl's wings protruding. It's a surprisingly awesome-looking dragon. It succeeds in scaring away the mean old fox.

Ariane, Gustaf Tenggren (illus), The Lively Little Rabbit, 1943, copyright. A Little Golden Book, reprinted many times. A squirrel, several rabbits, and an owl disguise themselves as a dragon/monster, to frighten a weasel who wants to eat them. They shout "Ooo! Ooo! Ooo!" in loud voices & the owl flaps his wings, and they chase the weasel away.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookD...

Licha I love The Story of Ferdinand. It was one of my first books and I absolutely loved this story. Reencountering here brought a sigh of nostalgia to my heart.

Joanne David wrote: "Joanne wrote: "There were a lot of good old Golden Books. I remember one where bunnies made a dragon costume, to scare a weasel I think."

I found two descriptions and a link. Would this be the boo..."

That's the book. Great illustrations. Thanks

Joy2116 Fernanda wrote: "A Wrinkle in Time (A Wrinkle in Time Quintet, #1) by Madeleine L'Engle loved that book.... Read several of her books..."
I really love this book too! I am also a huge fan of Eleanor Estes. The Hundred Dresses is a great, short read.

Jessica Blair I love ferdinand the bull i used to read it to my kids som i've lost count how many times its been read but its a treasured memory now.

David Rose So many people seem to remember (and love) Ferdinand! What about this one, quite a bit more obscure: David and the Phoenix?

Ginesthoi In addition to Ferdinand, I loved:

The Story About Ping by Marjorie Flack

Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile by Bernard Waber

Make Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskey

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Oz, #1) by L. Frank Baum

Carrie Ginesthoi wrote: "In addition to Ferdinand, I loved:

The Story About Ping by Marjorie Flack

Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile by Bernard Waber

Make Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskey

[bookcover:The Wonderful Wizard of O..."

Yes!!!! Classics. I love them as well.

Jessica Blair In adition to ferdinand i loved, the paperbag pricess, the painters trick,(an old one), all the munch stories and of cour peter rabit and of course life would not be complete winnie the pooh.

David Rose Just for the clickable links:
The Paper Bag Princess, The Painter's Trick, and I presume you mean Robert Munsch (although most of his work is after 1980 it's still a good while ago now!)

And - of course! - The Tale of Peter Rabbit and Winnie-the-Pooh. I thought about rabbitting on (pardon me, I couldn't resist) about these being Forgotten gems; but then I reconsidered. Our children (and grandchildren) are a digital media generation, and those treasures we have loved for decades they have in a sense forgotten, without ever having known them in the first place.

So thanks to Jessica for reminding us all of this collection of wonderful stories, which started many of us on our journey of discovering reading!

Jessica Blair My kids are now 18 and 21 so these are some of my favorite memories of their childhood, i have to admit i miss those days. If i ever have granchildren (praying) i will do like i did with my kids sit on their bed and read them a bedtime story or when we are just chilling on the sofa might be a good time too.I do read from a kindle due to vision problems but would be happy to either load these on or take a little longer and use a paperback with of course my grandchildren. I hope.

Jessica Blair Jennifer wrote: "The Velveteen Rabbit
Corduroy"

I had forgotten all about that one, boy its been a long time.

Carrie What about The Borrowers?

Licha Love The Borrowers.

Jessica Blair Oh that one was so cute.

David Rose Another one for my 'must get a copy' list! Ours was lost years ago (moved house too many times).

Beverly Loved the Borrowers, Velveteen Rabbit, Mike Mulligan and his steam shovel, the Story About Ping and of course the Story of Ferdinand which got us started on this trip down memory lane.
I must confess that a lot of my favourite picture books were read on Captain Kangaroo! Even before e-book picture books, they made a picture book come alive on the tv screen!! :)

Licha I remember Captain Kangaroo! That brought a smile to my face, hearing that :)

Love The Borrowers, too. Indian in the Cupboard was another similar one that I enjoyed.

Carrie Indian in the cupboard...yes! I also liked Mrs.Frisby and the Rats of Nimh.