Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Past nominations (closed) > August Classic Novel Discussion Topic selection complete

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Please use this topic to nominate a Classic Science Fiction or Fantasy novel you wish to discuss as a group in August (beginning August 1.)

(A Classic novel would typically have been published prior to 2000 and be considered a popular, trailblazing or important work of science fiction or fantasy. Presumably, any actual "classic" is still in print!)

You need not have read the title you are nominating; after all, you'll be reading along. Feel free to say why you are making the nomination, if you care to. If your nomination is selected by the group, you'll be expected to take the lead in the discussion.

We read two different SF/F novels and one short SF/F work each month: One is a "Classic" SF/F novel which was written before 2000; that discussion starts on the 1st of each month. One is a "Contemporary" SF/F novel, which was written after 2000; that discussion starts on the 21st of each month. We also read one or more short stories each month; that discussion starts the 11th of each month. You can always check on our upcoming SF/F Novel discussion topics by scrolling down on the Group Homepage to the "Upcoming Reads” section.

You can review past group selections in the "read" section of our Group's BookShelf. If you wish to continue a discussion of one of those past selections, all those discussion topics are still open in our Book Discussions area.

Note that this is our discussion selection for August. Eddings's Pawn of Prophecy has already been selected as our July Classic Novel discussion topic.

Nominations will be open through Thursday, June 16, when I'll collect the nominees and post a poll so members can choose among them.

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2159 comments I'll nominate Jack of Shadows by Roger Zelazny again. It narrowly lost last time. It's a short book, superbly imaginative of a world that is half fantastic, half scientific & a man that walks the shadows between them.

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren ❦ Carpe Librum ❦ | 27 comments I'd like to nominate The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien. Obviously an essential fantasy novel which laid the foundations of the genre and one I personally feel every fan of fantasy should read. I tried to read it a few years ago, and to my shame did not get very far. This year, I am determined to read it through to the end, and think a group read might help motivate me if I start struggling. I'm hoping that I might find it easier now that I've read some other classic novels, and feel I am becoming accustomed to less easy reading.

If it is allowed, I'd like to make a second nomination of The Time Machine by H. G. Wells. This classic sci-fi novel is believed to have first popularised the theme of time travel, and in fact the phrase "time machine" was first coined by Wells. I haven't read much of the sci-fi genre, but am a fan of sci-fi in television and plan to expand my reading in this area.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) How about Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman? It was published in 1990 and is the only collaboration by these authors who are both well respected in the fantasy field. The book is well reviewed and said to be hilarious.

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 14, 2016 06:45PM) (new)

Lauren wrote: "If it is allowed, I'd like to make a second nomination..."

Lauren, just one per month per customer, please. In a couple of days, I'll have a poll available and you'll have to vote for one or the other, so I suggest you nominate whichever one you'd vote for. (I'm going to assume the Tolkien, unless you correct me.) You can always nominate Wells next month, if you like.

(I have on occasion posted a list of several novels I'd be interested in discussing, usually upcoming contemporary books, just to see if anyone wanted to second one, but in the end, there can be only one. :)

It's not a perfect system (it would be nice if Goodreads polls allowed us to make more than one choice, the better defined the broadest possible consensus.)

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Lauren ❦ Carpe Librum ❦ | 27 comments G33z3r wrote: "Lauren wrote: "If it is allowed, I'd like to make a second nomination..."

Lauren, just one per month per customer, please. In a couple of days, I'll have a poll available and you'll have to vote f..."

Thanks, I thought that might be the case. Then my nomination is Tolkien, I'll save Wells for another month :-)

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren ❦ Carpe Librum ❦ | 27 comments Randy wrote: "How about Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman? It was published in 1990 and is the only collaboration by these authors who are both well respected in the fantasy field. The book is well r..."

That sounds good, too. Haven't read any of their works before, though planning on reading Neil Gaiman's Stardust later in the month.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Reminder: Thursday is the final day to nominate a Classic Fantasy or Science Fiction novel for our August group read and discussion.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Announcement banner
Thank you for the nominations.

A poll to select our Classic Science Fiction / Fantasy Novel discussion topic for August is now open. If you are interested in participating in a group discussion of one of these novels, please vote here for the one you would prefer to discuss.

Please only vote if you plan on participating in the discussion of that book.

Note that this is our discussion selection for August. Pawn of Prophecy has already been selected as our July Classic Novel discussion topic.

This poll will be open through Thursday, June 23.

message 10: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 24, 2016 05:04AM) (new)

Announcement banner

None of the three nominees won a clear majority, so I've set up a runoff poll between the two top nominees, Jack of Shadows & Good Omens.) If you are interested in participating in a group discussion of one of these two novels, you can vote here for the one you would like to discuss.

Please only vote if you plan on participating in the discussion of that book.

Note that this is our discussion selection for August. Pawn of Prophecy has already been selected as our July Classic Novel discussion topic.

This poll will be open through Thursday, June 30.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Announcement banner
Our chosen Classic Science Fiction / Fantasy Novel discussion topic for August is...

Jack of Shadows by Roger Zelazny Jack of Shadows by Roger Zelazny

The discussion will begin August 1.

message 12: by Phil (new)

Phil Jensen | 329 comments The discussion is showing up on my timeline as August 21.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Phil wrote: "The discussion is showing up on my timeline as August 21."

Should be August 1. Fixed now, I hope.

message 14: by Michael (new)

Michael | 152 comments I first read this story many years ago. Indeed I think it was the first Zelazny book I ever read. I'm looking forward to revisiting it for this discussion.

message 15: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2159 comments This was one of my early Zelazny reads, too. Jack is possibly the first & best antihero that I read about.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.