Play Book Tag discussion

Archives 2016-2017 > 30 Days of Books: Day 24

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenni Elyse (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1264 comments It's been one of those kinds of days again. Sorry this is late.

Today's prompt is a book you wish more people would read. This one is hard because I usually read what's popular. I don't read many obscure books.

I'm choosing Stitching Snow by RC Lewis because it's so good, still newish, and I don't think many people have read it yet. In fact, I think a lot people are reluctant to read it because they've heard it's like Cinder by Marissa Meyer. It is a sci-fi retelling of a fairytale, but that's the only similarity to The Lunar Chronicles.

I really enjoyed this book. I loved Lewis's take on the Snow White fairytale and I loved seeing how she worked it into the world she created. I especially loved her versions of the dwarves, which I didn't get until the end of the story, lol. And, I loved her take on the kiss that happens in Snow White. It was clever.

What book do you wish more people would read?

message 2: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8018 comments The first one that always comes to mind for me is:
Shake Hands with the Devil: The Failure of Humanity in Rwanda by Romeo Dallaire.

The next one:
The Longest Day by Cornelius Ryan.

Hmmm, one war book and one genocide. Lovely...

I have a short list that I moved from shelfari to librarything called "Books I Would Love to See Everyone Read":
http://www.librarything.com/list/1069...

message 3: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments LibraryCin wrote: "Hmmm, one war book and one genocide. Lovely... ..."

Ha! I was just thinking that!

While I love fiction and wish everyone would read something by Nora Roberts (and guarantee you will like it so as not to crush my tender soul), the books that have impacted me the most have been nonfiction....about war and other general atrocities....

message 6: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4855 comments The Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander. I think it has wonderful lessons for young kids. Teaches young boys how to be a man. Teaches girls to be independent and self-sufficient. I love this series more as an adult than I did as a kid.

message 7: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments Wow, this is a tough question.

I think I'm going to go with a recently published story by the actor Ethan Hawke. The book is Rules for a Knight. It's a charming story in the form of a knight writing a letter before battle to his kids. It's short and sweet with lots of common sense advice about how to be a good knight (and person).

message 8: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments A book that springs to mind that is lesser known, has a lame and misleading cover, but that I found compelling is A Cupboard Full of Coats by Yvette Edwards.

message 9: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5537 comments True Grit by Charles Portis - It's so much more than "just a western" - wonderful female lead, great action/adventure, strong message, complex relationships.

message 10: by Marnie (new)

Marnie | 94 comments Hmmm well I guess I would have to say If On A Winter's Night A Traveller by Italo Calvino. And then second would be Lolita and another would be Stuart Hills The Icemark Chronicles.

message 11: by Red52 (last edited Jun 10, 2016 09:47AM) (new)

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8156 comments Book I wish more people would read? It's unquestionably Shadow of the Wind. One of my all time favorites. You could also make that my favorite book that I own. And one I've reread - two or three times. Fits all categories - see?

message 13: by Blueberry (new)

Blueberry (blueberry1) Book Concierge wrote: "True Grit by Charles Portis - It's so much more than "just a western" - wonderful female lead, great action/adventure, strong message, complex relationships."

Great book!

message 14: by Blueberry (last edited Jun 11, 2016 01:02PM) (new)

Blueberry (blueberry1) Gathering Blue the second book in the set/4 The Giver Quartet. One it was good, two it I it's dystopian 'message'? resonated with me.

message 15: by Blueberry (new)

Blueberry (blueberry1) Jgrace wrote: "Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide"

I'm reading the follow-up (I think) book, A Path Appears: Transforming Lives, Creating Opportunity next month in my f2f church bookclub. We used Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide to make a presentation to our church on abuses against women. This one we will make a presentation on human trafficking at a women's retreat.