DFW Planetary Society Book Club discussion

The Martian > Science Specialties

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 82 comments Mod
Every crew member on The Ares 3 mission had two scientific specialties. Mark Watney's were engineering and botany. If you were to pick two scientific fields in which to become an expert, what would they be?

message 2: by Markie (new)

Markie (vegoego) | 90 comments Mod
My favorite science fields has always been biology and geology, so I'd probably go with those two if we're picking based on the science we like.

I'm assuming chemistry and biology would pair better, or chemistry and geology.

But chemistry is hard, haha! :p

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 82 comments Mod
Since astronomy isn't something really needed in a mission like that, I would probably land on botany and chemistry. Plants are fascinating to me and the idea of figuring out how to grow them on moons and planets is something I find to be exciting. Chemistry I would pick because I'm a situation like that, chemistry would teach us a ton!

But then I would have quickly died on Mars if it had been me. Engineering clearly was far more useful in that situation than chemistry would have been.

message 4: by Markie (new)

Markie (vegoego) | 90 comments Mod
Oh, yeah. No contest, I would have been seven shades of dead by day two.

message 5: by Mark (new)

Mark | 87 comments Outside of making the decision based on survival in Watney's situation, I'd go with SysOps (computer science/programming) and Medical because those 2 skill sets are hecka useful (and lucrative).

message 6: by David (new)

David Marchbanks | 16 comments I think engineering would be a given for me, I am fascinated with the way things work. I considered becoming a mechanical engineer at one point. I think my second would be be computer related like Mark said, because I like tech stuff. I think the two would pair well.