Our Shared Shelf discussion

Miscellaneous > Feminist / Women Themed / Relevant Podcasts

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ana, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Ana PF | 746 comments Mod
I always keep forgetting to share some of my very favourite podcasts with you guys. I discovered them a couple years ago (I know, so edgy, right, wow LOL) and have been obsessed ever since. I will listen to some of these gems on my way to school, on a break from work, at the treadmill on the gym, everywhere.

It's very late for me and I should really go to be because I'm going on a trip awfully early in the morning, but here is one of those women related podcasts that I've been meaning to share here. The Salon, part of the BBC World Service 'Documentaries' series.

What about yours? :D

message 2: by Alice (new)

Alice (aliceinwifiland) | 14 comments Hi Ana, hope your trip goes well :) Will definitely try check that podcast out.

My favourite podcast is Oh Witch Please in which two hilarious lady scholars dissect the Harry Potter universe with an emphasis on feminism and how bad ass Hermione Granger is. Definitely recommend it for any huge Harry Potter fans and it's really really funny too! At least I think so :)

message 3: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (boundingheart) | 18 comments BBC's Woman's Hour all the time, every time!

message 4: by Carolin (new)

Carolin (cassa) | 2 comments I love BBC women's hour too!!

message 5: by Ana, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (last edited Jun 15, 2016 04:10PM) (new)

whatrhymeswithowl wrote: "Hi Ana, hope your trip goes well :) Will definitely try check that podcast out.

My favourite podcast is Oh Witch Please in which two hilarious lady scholars dissect the Harry Potter universe with ..."

Aw, thanks! I did have a nice weekend before and after the crappy exam that had me travelling. It sure is hot in Madrid right now! But I lurrrrve it.

Oh, wow, I did not know about the BBC Women's Hour, why? Haha, adding them to my ever-growing list now. As for the Harry Potter themed one, needless to say, I'm gonna give it a go tomorrow. Yay. Diehard HP fan here.

I also remembered 'Call Your Girlfriend'. It's been a while since I last listened to it but I'd also add it to the list.

message 6: by Kressel (new)

Kressel Housman | 436 comments Malcolm Gladwell has just released a brand new podcast and the first episode is all about feminism, focusing on the story of the Victorian painter Elizabeth Thompson. The episode is called "The Lady Vanishes," and the overall podcast is called Revisionist History - http://revisionisthistory.com/

message 7: by Ana, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

The Victorian era, art and feminism? Well, I knew this thread would promptly pay off... :)

message 8: by Alice (new)

Alice (aliceinwifiland) | 14 comments Ah I wish I could be warming my bones in Spain today. 17 days into winter and I've forgotten what warmth feels like.

I loved the idea behind 'The Salon' - conversations between women and their hairstylists discussing class, race, sexuality etc but always linked back to their hair or the hairstyle they were going for. So many interesting individuals and a lovely reminder how different our lives and experiences and outlook on life can be. I hope they do more episodes, I really enjoyed 'eavesdropping' on them all! :)

Also, to anyone wanting to try the BBC Woman's hour as recommended above you can listen to and download episodes here: BBC Woman's Hour. I'd never come across it before but I downloaded several episodes to try, just whatever topics caught my eye the most and I'm really enjoying it :)

"The Lady Vanishes" sounds interesting Kressel, I'll give it a go. Will also have to try "Call Your Girlfriend".

message 9: by Kressel (new)

Kressel Housman | 436 comments Another podcast I like, made by a woman but not necessarily about feminism, is "You Must Remember This Podcast," which is about the history of Hollywood. Right now, the focus is the Hollywood Blacklist, but she's also covered Hollywood and Charles Manson, and such stars as Marilyn Monroe, Audrey Hepburn, Elizabeth Taylor, Lena Horne, and Jane Russell.

As I said, the focus isn't feminism, but it's interesting to hear about how these women became sex and style symbols. It brings up the same kind of debate we've had about Beyonce. If she's in charge of selling sexy images of herself, is that feminist from a business perspective or anti-feminist self-objectification? And of course, all the older stars had LESS control than Beyonce probably does (or Emma for that matter).

message 10: by Ross (new)

Ross | 1444 comments Kressel wrote: "Another podcast", "is that feminist"

I read recently about stars and there Images after a article about a product Emma had "faced" in the past and it seems even today Stars have limited control. We have all seen actresses and actor used there Image to promote a product. Apparently the company pay for the person image for a certain amount of time.

If something happens good or bad to the person involved that image may be used again at the company discretion not the person even for another product not in the original advertisement.

So if someone makes a stand for feminism like Emma and other high profile women have done they only the option to change what they work on in the future not what is already "in the can".

So I feel we should give people the benefit of the doubt with regards of what they have already done and judge them on what they work on subsequently.

message 11: by Corey (new)

Corey | 29 comments I cannot believe that there is a Hasty Potter podcast that I missed! I'm so excited! Anyway, podcast that I love is Pantsuit Politics. It is not a strictly feminist podcast, and it is focused exclusively on American politics, so it may not be interesting to everyone. However, it is two woman from opposite sides of the aisle trying to have respectful conversations about all areas of American politics., and it is really fascinating to see how they approach women's issues from different perspectives.

message 12: by Melle (new)

Melle (feministkilljoy13) | 68 comments Bitch Media does a great podcast!

message 13: by Ana, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Ross wrote: "Kressel wrote: "Another podcast", "is that feminist"

I read recently about stars and there Images after a article about a product Emma had "faced" in the past and it seems even today Stars have li..."

I'd say Kressel's thoughts were not strictly going in that direction, but it's still true that we do need to give each other the benefit of the doubt and that past actions can only be changed with our current and future ones. :)

Oh, and Kressel, I hadn't heard of that one, but if you shared it with us here, it most likely belongs to this thread. :) After all, as you said, it's not only and strictly about feminism. Female voices in and of themselves are already worth to hear.

message 14: by Kressel (new)

Kressel Housman | 436 comments Oh my gosh, it's so good. History and pop culture all rolled into one!

message 15: by Kressel (new)

Kressel Housman | 436 comments Elizabeth Gilbert is one of those writers that people seem to either love or hate, but I just listened to a great interview with her. The end part deals with feminism the most directly because she got her start at GQ, a men's magazine.

https://soundcloud.com/longform/episo...

message 16: by Sherrie (last edited Jun 21, 2016 01:19PM) (new)

Sherrie | 184 comments So, there's a podcast called "Stuff you missed in history class" and it's basically history class, told by two really funny women. I've only listened to a couple episodes but I think if you're into history, you might like this one.

Disclaimer: I've only listened to a couple episodes because I listen to podcasts while working out and the vocal fry of the two hosts is very grating while doing cardio. I realize that's unfair to them so I've tried to listen while not working out (much better on my ears) but if you're someone who is sensitive to voices...just a heads up.

message 17: by Kressel (new)

Kressel Housman | 436 comments I just posted this on the Fatphobia and Thin Privilege thread: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio...

message 18: by Bunny (new)

Bunny I've had several people mention that one to me! Haven't listened yet but intend to.

message 19: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Farley | 3 comments Wow! What a treasure trove of excellent stuff! OMG!

message 20: by Bunny (last edited Jun 22, 2016 10:17PM) (new)

Bunny Kressel wrote: "Another podcast I like, made by a woman but not necessarily about feminism, is "You Must Remember This Podcast," which is about the history of Hollywood. Right now, the focus is the Hollywood Black..."

I really enjoy that podcast. I would say that although is not explicitly about feminism she definitely approaches her subject from a feminist perspective. Most of the time she is talking about the history of the film industry in times when women had even less power than they do now, but she really pays attention to the ways they often struggled and had uphill battles to have more control of their working lives. How they sometimes succeeded against the odds and sometimes did not in a system that was often exploitative.

message 21: by Kressel (new)

Kressel Housman | 436 comments Here's another relevant one: http://freakonomics.com/podcast/gende...

message 22: by Kressel (new)

Kressel Housman | 436 comments Bunny wrote: "I really enjoy that podcast. I would say that although is not explicitly about feminism she definitely approaches her subject from a feminist perspective."

Longform did an interview with her: https://soundcloud.com/longform/episo...

message 23: by Kressel (new)

Kressel Housman | 436 comments I just heard a fantastic podcast that goes right to the heart of the myth that "looks don't matter." The subject is a man, not a woman. A seriously deformed man.

http://www.wnyc.org/story/robert-hoge...

message 24: by Angie (new)

Angie (lifewithalyons) | 11 comments She Explores is one of my favorites, its a new podcast but it's from the creators of a website by the same name which focuses on women adventurers. Whether they are living in a van solo or with a partner or through-hiking or rock climbers or painters or photographers. The website is all about sharing and supporting the experiences of women in the wilderness.
Here's a link to their podcast:
http://www.she-explores.com/podcast/

And a link to their site:
http://www.she-explores.com/

message 25: by Melle (new)

Melle (feministkilljoy13) | 68 comments Has anyone mentioned Guys We Fucked? It's amazing. Sex positive, feminist. :)

message 26: by Kressel (new)

Kressel Housman | 436 comments Bunny wrote: "I really enjoy that podcast. I would say that although is not explicitly about feminism she definitely approaches her subject from a feminist perspective. "

Have you heard the summer season? It's about Joan Crawford. For better and for worse, she was a powerhouse of a woman.

message 27: by Ana, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (last edited Sep 10, 2017 08:16AM) (new)

Hello there, peeps!

Got a few podcast recs these days in the shape of articles that mentioned them, so I thought I would share with you all...

13 Podcasts By Women You Should Be Listening To Right Now

17 Queer and Feminist Latinx Podcasts To Get Into

Stuff Mom Never Told You

Strong Opinions Loosely Held

The Guilty Feminist

Arte Radio: Noir is the New Black (French)

La Poudre (French)

Enjoy them and please, please, don't forget to share your own recs here! :)

message 28: by Ana, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (last edited Sep 10, 2017 08:22AM) (new)

Also, since our fellow member Camille kindly shared another rec with us in a duplicate thread, I am pasting her text here so that it won't get lost. Thanks a lot, Camille! Hope you don't mind me doing this, I'd have hated to lose your rec,

While I am fully aware this is a book club, I thought I would share a (free) podcast database, that I have found really useful over the years, with other OSS readers, if it's alright to focus on a medium other than books in this thread.
The London School of Economics hosts many lectures and conferences during the academic year and most of these events are recorded and posted on this website: http://www.lse.ac.uk/website-archive/...
Of course the topics are extremely diverse (they range from politics or economics to science or philosophy) but, while browsing, I realised that many of them touch upon matters that are of interest to us: women in public life, women in religion, women in war, women in science, women careers... There are so many!
So, for instance, two days ago, I listened to the podcast of "Drop the Ball: how women can achieve more with doing less" (talk + Q&A) with author Tiffany Dufu and found it both thought-provoking and inspirational: http://www.lse.ac.uk/website-archive/...
What I also appreciate about the medium, to be completely honest, is that it gives you a pretty good idea of the core of a book or a speaker's views in about an hour and a half, which (while not ideal) is a good substitute when you don't have time to actually read the book or the body of work.
So if anybody feels like listening to, recommending or discussing any of these LSE podcasts, I'd be really happy to engage in conversation :)

message 29: by Camille (new)

Camille | 18 comments Thanks, Ana :)

message 30: by Kressel (new)

Kressel Housman | 436 comments I don't know if anyone's caught this one, but it's sponsored by Cole Haan and the women behind the mic are from Gimlet Media:

http://extraordinariesonthemic.com/

message 31: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments How did I only now come across this wonderful trunk full with treasures.

On a sidenote: It's nice to read you again, Kressel:)

message 32: by Kressel (new)

Kressel Housman | 436 comments Here's a single episode of Trumpcast in which two women journalists ask the feminist question of why Ivanka Trump seems to get a pass. If women can head corporations, they can also commit corporate crimes.

http://www.slate.com/articles/podcast...

message 33: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (crazylittlebookpage) | 55 comments The only podcasts that I listen to that are women centered and focused are fertility podcasts & Doula podcasts mostly

I listen to One Bad Mother Podcast which has lots of interesting stuff.

Holistic Fertility and Wellness, Evidence Based Birth

Sorry I don't have more lol

message 34: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Slate has the Double-X Gabfest which I really like. The World Service also has some interesting programs like the 100 Women. Also, France 24 has the 51 Percent program.

message 35: by Leslye (last edited Apr 24, 2018 06:36PM) (new)

Leslye (lesmargott) | 5 comments Para las personas de habla hispana,o los que entiendan español, igual les dejo un link de un proyecto que estoy realizando, son unos podcast que abordan la temática del feminismo, publicamos casi todos los lunes, somos unas chicas de Chile y otra de España.

https://www.ivoox.com/podcast-valerie...

saludos :)

message 36: by Maria (new)

Maria Cecilia (MezaCecilia) | 4 comments Lex wrote: "Para las personas de habla hispana,o los que entiendan español, igual les dejo un link de un proyecto que estoy realizando, son unos podcast que abordan la temática del feminismo, publicamos casi t..."

¡Gracias por compartir!

message 37: by MeerderWörter (last edited Apr 26, 2018 11:55AM) (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments It's not a completely women-themed podcast/radio show (it is being archived so while it is live, you can later listen to the recording), but Native Trailblazers has definitely some ass-kicking women on its Programme.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/nativetr...

message 38: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments Hey, I thought maybe we could include not only podcasts but blogs as well? Written by women, for women, about women, any of those three?