Our Shared Shelf discussion

Miscellaneous > Feminist / Relevant Social Media Accounts

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ana, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Ana PF | 746 comments Mod
Hey, hey, everybody! What better way of coming back after another forced leave ('real' life, looking at *you*, you party pooper) than bringing a new topic for all of us to chat on! Actually, make it a couple, there are some pretty interesting podcasts that I always forget to share with you guys.

Soooo, the title of this thread speaks for itself but still, a little intro never hurt anybody, right? Post away your fav feminist media accounts here for the rest of us to discover and possibly, hopefully, follow. ;) Instagram! Twitter! Facebook! Snapchat? (I don't do Snapchat and I don't really think you'll find a lot of feminism there, but oh well, maybe?) Mind you, we're not only talking about the superfamous / celebs / etc. accounts, but also and mostly, really, about those everyday / scholarly / underground / not so well known accounts that you bumped into and loved. Parody accounts, people from academia, teenagers, sex workers, WOC, everybody is welcome! As you know, we like it diverse and intersectional here. ;)

I'll have to check out for this weekend (ughh, pretty important exam in Madrid!) but I really hope to be back and wayyyy more active in Monday. In the meantime, I'll start this thread myself with two recs and a question - does anybody know accounts by queer / LGBTI Muslims? I've read a bit on that lately and found it immensely interesting.

My recs:

[ES] La Tribu de Frida I'm afraid this one is for Spanish speakers only, but for those of you who can read along, it's a really nice blog / community focused on feminism through literature. They're starting to get more active, particularly with some events in Madrid and sometimes Andalusia, so worth following. :)

Assigned Male Comics While feminism is not the main topic of these comics, as you may have guessed, it is definitely there. Where? In this brilliant web comic on Stephie, a trans girl created by Sophie Labelle, a very talented artist who will make you think hard about trans issues and much-deserved recognition...even if you think you had it figured out already! I know I have laughed with all of the comics but also blushed with others, the kind that comes when you learn some much-needed basics. ;)

What about yours? :D

message 2: by Chey (new)

Chey (cheyaguilera) | 1 comments As a Portlander, I must recommend a global social networking site that started here. I learned about it in a Social Justice course I had to take for my Women's Studies minor. It's brilliant.

World Pulse
https://www.worldpulse.com/en

Blurb(s) from their site:

"We are a growing social network connecting over 25,000 people from 190 countries with one mission: to create a world where all women thrive—one click, one comment, one connection at a time.
We are social media for social revolution

Change isn’t happening fast enough. For decades, countless individuals and organizations have been working tirelessly for women’s equality, but we still haven’t ended the global suppression of women. We need a global solution.

That solution is digital technology: it is the fastest way to unite and empower women everywhere. It breaks down language barriers, offers a stage for the silenced and unites people from all walks of life. With technology, global revolution is possible. That’s why we’ve created a safe, supportive space where women from every corner of the globe can connect."

message 3: by Sofia (new)

Sofia (thisissofia) | 20 comments I know you said you aren't really looking for celebrities, but I have to bring up two of my favorite people. Amandla Stenberg is 17 years old and she's played Rue in The Hunger Games and young Cataleya in Colombiana, among other roles. She has a really cool tumblr, Instagram, and Twitter (she might have other social media but I don't think so) and she made a video about cultural appropriation called Don't Cash Crop My Cornrows on her tumblr as well as other stuff. The second person is Rowan Blanchard. She's known for playing Riley Matthews on Girl Meets World and she also has cool Instagram, tumblr, and Twitter.

message 4: by Christine (new)

Christine Periña | 67 comments It's hard to say, but I'm just deeply saddened on what happened to Christina Grimmie :( she's one of my favorite feminist media accounts.
I know it's not relevant to say it here but another senseless act of violence against a soul just happened ... #RIPChristina

message 5: by Annie (new)

Annie (theanniediarie) | 1 comments Christine wrote: "It's hard to say, but I'm just deeply saddened on what happened to Christina Grimmie :( she's one of my favorite feminist media accounts.
I know it's not relevant to say it here but another sensel..."

I didn't know about the tragedy.. Your comment prompted me to a quick google search. Literally in tears right now.

message 6: by Christine (last edited Jun 13, 2016 04:06AM) (new)

Christine Periña | 67 comments Annie wrote: "Christine wrote: "It's hard to say, but I'm just deeply saddened on what happened to Christina Grimmie :( she's one of my favorite feminist media accounts.
I know it's not relevant to say it here ..."

It happened after her performance in Orlando, Florida .. while she's signing for an autograph and then suddenly this deranged man came in front of her and then shot her 3 times (i think) ..
It's so sad because she's too young to die in that way ..

And then 24 hours later, there's 50 people who shot dead in a night club in Orlando again and 53 wounded .. This isn't normal. This isn't right.

message 7: by Ana, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Sofia wrote: "I know you said you aren't really looking for celebrities, but I have to bring up two of my favorite people. Amandla Stenberg is 17 years old and she's played Rue in The Hunger Games and young Cata..."

Oh, but all of them interesting accouts are welcome! :) Besides, I am totally not celeb-savvy, so Amandla was a novelty for me. Get me further than Beyonce, Taylor Swift and Lady Gaga and I'll be a very confused girl, haha. Oh, dear.

Gotta watch the cornrows video! It was only recently that I read for the first time about hair and the huge cultural and identity significance linked to it and ever since I've wondered how is it that so many pretty obvious issues are just not noticed by the average person when it's clear that they're there, they've got a meaning, they exist.

Not at all irrelevant to talk here about the utterly shitty week in Orlando. What the hell? I sadly knew nothing of Christina Grimmie until her murder, but it's just crazy to think about it. She hurt nobody, she was there trying to make music happen for her, and then this sorry excuse of a human being came and took her life. Then again, their family, friends and fans had barely had time to mourn here before the hate crime at Pulse shook everybody in the same city.

Sometimes it's hard to keep faith in mankind. All this hatred, tragedy and nonsense. All this heartbreak and blatant injustice. I don't even know how we've managed to survive all these years on earth.

message 8: by Ana, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Chey wrote: "As a Portlander, I must recommend a global social networking site that started here. I learned about it in a Social Justice course I had to take for my Women's Studies minor. It's brilliant.

World..."

Keeping this on my tabs for further reading, Chey! Talk about the right use of social media and platforms.