Fringe Fiction discussion

Fringe Fiction General Chat > Advice for book release party

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason Crawford (jasonpatrickcrawford) | 591 comments Exciting news! I managed to book a release party at the local Barnes and Noble for my novel Chains of Prophecy. The representative there said that, in order to be considered a "success," we would have to sell 30 novels between 6 and 8 p.m.

So, my question for my fellow fringies: Have you been to/held a release party? What would you recommend? Any tips or advice for me to work with? I really don't want to leave B&N with a whole bunch of copies of my book that didn't sell...kinda ruins the impression :)

Thanks in advance!

message 2: by Wren (new)

Wren Figueiro | 216 comments I don't have any advice, but wanted to say congrats! That does sound exciting :)
Is there someplace you can get a list of book clubs in your area to send event info to? Let me know when it is, and I'll share on my FB page in case anyone there is near you.

message 3: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) I also don't have advice, but want to say, congrats!

I do have a suggestion. take it, leave, come up with your own ideas, up to you.

Dress in character, or appropriate for the book overall. Live the dream.

message 4: by Lena (new)

Lena | 187 comments Can you do a short reading of an exciting part that will leave them wanting more?

message 5: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Wells | 1890 comments Mod
Local papers? Hand out fliers in local cafes where people might be excited to meet an author?

message 6: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Rand | 532 comments Invite everyone you have ever known, ever.

message 7: by Jason (new)

Jason Crawford (jasonpatrickcrawford) | 591 comments This is all great advice! Thank you so much for your support and encouragement. I'm very excited ;)

message 8: by Brian (new)

Brian  J. J. (jokeboy) | 37 comments Hey Jason, when is the party going to be?

message 9: by Jason (new)

Jason Crawford (jasonpatrickcrawford) | 591 comments June 13th from 6 to 8 pm.

message 10: by Jason (new)

Jason Crawford (jasonpatrickcrawford) | 591 comments So B&N ordered 31 copies for the release party! I need to sell them out and - hopefully - get some on order!

/cracks knuckles

message 11: by Courtney (new)

gasp! What determines how many books they order? Do you have to sell those on the spot to people?

message 12: by Jason (new)

Jason Crawford (jasonpatrickcrawford) | 591 comments Exactly. They decide how many to order - they probably kept it small in case I don't sell well - but I plan to have back orders filling up!

message 13: by Courtney (new)

You tell us your secret if that happens.

message 14: by Jason (new)

Jason Crawford (jasonpatrickcrawford) | 591 comments You know it ;)

message 15: by Tiger (new)

Tiger Gray (tiger_gray) | 291 comments Oh cool. How did you set that up? I'd like to do it for my next book.

message 16: by Briana (new)

Briana Gaitan (brianagaitan) | 10 comments I have only done one release party for my first book, but we did it at a local coffee shop (awesome foot traffic on a friday night) with live music. 30 copies are easy to do with friends and family (IMO) but we got a local printer to sponsor with fliers, then advertised with the local newspaper. This time around we have two radio interviews lined up and changed the venue to a local bookstore. We did raffles last time as well from donations. Hope your signing goes good!

message 17: by Jason (new)

Jason Crawford (jasonpatrickcrawford) | 591 comments Awesome! Thanks for the advice!

@Tiger (sorry for the delay!) My wife called around and sent emails to the Community Reps of the B&N stores in Palmdale and Los Angeles and kept poking until we heard back. I made a media kit, too, that we could just send them with info.

message 18: by Violet (new)

Violet Vaughn This is exciting! Please don't forget to post how it went. I'll be watching.

message 19: by Jason (new)

Jason Crawford (jasonpatrickcrawford) | 591 comments I shall :)