Bailey's/Orange Women's Fiction Group discussion

Books of the Month Nominations > Nominations for August 2016

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Val (new)

Val What would you like to be reading in August?
Please nominate any book from the long or short lists. It can be from 2016, if the judges missed your favourite, or from any of the earlier lists.

message 2: by Jen (new)

Jen | 114 comments Hi Val, I haven't been here for a while, I hope everyone has been well. I'll nominate La Cucina from the 2002 list. I've had a copy on my shelf for a long while now.

message 3: by JenniferD (new)

JenniferD (jooniperd) | 343 comments Jen wrote: "Hi Val, I haven't been here for a while, I hope everyone has been well. I'll nominate La Cucina from the 2002 list. I've had a copy on my shelf for a long while now."

oh - that sounds like a good summer read (for those in the northern hemisphere, anyway)! :)

message 4: by Val (new)

Val I haven't read that one, but the description reminds me of Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel, which I really liked.
If we get no more nominations in the next few days, we will be reading La Cucina in August. (If we do get more nominations I will set up a poll.)

message 5: by Val (last edited Jun 17, 2016 02:44AM) (new)

Val La Cucina by Lily Prior will be our August book.

It looks at though at least three of us will be reading it and I hope a few more group members will join in.

message 6: by Jen (new)

Jen | 114 comments Great! Thanks Val, I look forward to it.

message 7: by JenniferD (new)

JenniferD (jooniperd) | 343 comments Val wrote: "It looks at though at least three of us will be reading it and I hope a few more group members will join in."

i don't actually have the book, though it does appeal. can't promise i will be taking part because life is chaos, and planning/scheduling reads are not really working out for me lately. sorry you misinterpreted my earlier comment to jen as a commitment to read it. i was just pleased jen nominated it as it put it in my radar. i had somehow missed this one in looking through past lists.

message 8: by Val (new)

Val Sorry Jennifer, a bit of wishful thinking on my part. If you do ever get to read it, the thread will stay open and I will welcome your comments.

message 9: by JenniferD (new)

JenniferD (jooniperd) | 343 comments Val wrote: "Sorry Jennifer, a bit of wishful thinking on my part. If you do ever get to read it, the thread will stay open and I will welcome your comments."

it's in my mind, and if it works out with the timing then i will definitely take part. (or pop in later.) :) i just didn't want to have this idea of my commitment floating about. sorry about that, val.

message 10: by Jen (new)

Jen | 114 comments Sorry guys I was late to get to this, but I picked it up today as I was home from work. I've almost finished, it's a very quick read. Has anyone else read this? I don't want to be rude but I'm having a really tough time reconciling this making the shortlist. I haven't finished and will come back to say more then.

message 11: by Val (new)

Val I have read it. It is a very quick read, as you say Jen.
I quite enjoyed it, but thought it was not well written or thought out and it seemed to change genre part way through.
It got two stars in the end, an 'it was OK'. I have given higher ratings to books I enjoyed less, but that is when I can recognise that they are good even though I didn't like them.