Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Author Help > Boost or Bust

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Reber | 181 comments I don't have much activity on my Facebook author page, but there is some. I'm on the verge of getting a couple of paperbacks out, so have very little cash to spare at this point, but am in need of publicity. My question is about the 'boost' option on Facebook. Do any of you use it? Does it actually help? Is it worth the money? I'm just not sure. Anybody want to enlighten me? 8-)

message 2: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) Some people seem to get results, some don't. I didn't get any results at all with an ad on Facebook, but I spent only $5.00, so my experience may not be the best guide.

message 3: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4270 comments Mod
I haven't had much luck with it, but I've only tried it a couple of times.

message 4: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Reber | 181 comments That's kind of what I thought, that it wouldn't REALLY help. Still debating if anyone else has had luck. 8-)

message 5: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

C.B. Archer | 1090 comments Mod
Does it boost it to everyone out there, or just your followers?

message 6: by Joe (new)

Joe Jackson (shoelessauthor) Facebook ads/boosts require specific targeting, and then you have to ask yourself: how do you usually respond to ads on sites you visit?

message 7: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Reber | 181 comments According to the thing I read, you can choose for it to be shown to your follower's friends as well.

message 8: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Reber | 181 comments Joe wrote: "Facebook ads/boosts require specific targeting, and then you have to ask yourself: how do you usually respond to ads on sites you visit?"

Agreed. I ignore them. You make the best point so far. I'm not going to waste my money. Thank you guys! 8-)

message 9: by Ben (new)

Ben Mariner I did one not too long ago totally on a whim. Just wanted to see how it worked. You can customize it to who you want to see it, age range, friends, all that stuff.

Honestly, it did nothing for me, but I did it on a kind of random post so I'm not sure what I expected. They're not expensive. Just give it a shot and see what happens.

message 10: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) I targeted my ad very narrowly, and it took several days to reach the $5.00 limit I set. I got clicks but no sales.

message 11: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Wall (goodreadscomnathanwall) | 37 comments If you don't have very memorable or entertaining things to share or boost from your Facebook page then you won't get very many results.

I saw pretty good results with my facebook campaigns, but then again I was using this: https://www.goodreads.com/videos/9607...

message 12: by Nathan (last edited Jun 09, 2016 01:20PM) (new)

Nathan Wall (goodreadscomnathanwall) | 37 comments Also, I saw someone say something about targeting your ads to areas that speak the language your book is written in.

Most of Europe speaks English. I did ads in German, Belgium and Netherlands targeting English speakers in those areas. I got a bunch of likes at a cheaper rate than I did targeting Americans and Canadians.

The goldmine sweet-spot was the UK.

Also, my royalties from Germany for Kindle Unlimited has been more than from Canada and Australia, and almost on par with the US. So, move over David Hasselhoff.

message 13: by Matthew (last edited Jun 09, 2016 01:32PM) (new)

Matthew Perry I like the facebook boost button. I targeted my audience directly to Civil War and History buffs in a certain age range. I got many likes and saw a slight tick in KDP pages read. For only 3 dollars to run a 2 day ad I say that it was a success.

message 14: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Everson (authorthomaseverson) | 424 comments After having spent $50 of my own and $50 promotional gift on FB advertising, with narrow targets, it was completely useless. They clicked through to eat my money, but there were no purchases.