Beta Reader Group discussion

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann Swaim (chirpyann) | 83 comments Hi! My name's Ann.
I hope I'm doing this right. Each time I post, for the first time, on a forum, even if I've read the rules a dozen times, I'm worried I'm going to start by breaking a rule xD Well... Here goes...

I've written a few screenplays in the past, but the novel writing world is very new to me. I started writing a novel in December of last year and I'm almost done with my first edit. YAY! At first I was just going to write it to get it out of my head and see how I liked the process. After a couple of months, I found I loved the process and wanted to know what to do next.
I didn't even know beta reading was a thing until I started doing some research. So I googled, "how to find good beta readers" and it led me here.

I can't wait to dig through the group convos and meet some beta readers and authors.

ttyl :)

message 2: by Pat (new)

Pat | 105 comments Welcome! How exciting for you to have your work on paper! Best of luck!

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann Swaim (chirpyann) | 83 comments Thank you, Pat! I'm really enjoying the interaction in this group already. Seems like this is a supportive and helpful group of people. :)

message 4: by Alex (new)

Alex Tamburro (alextamburro) | 41 comments Hey there!

I'm Alexandra (or just Alex). Welcome to the crazy world of beta-reading!! Good fortune on your writing endeavors. Chat me up sometime.

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann Swaim (chirpyann) | 83 comments Thanks Alex :) Do you read, write, or both?

message 6: by Alex (new)

Alex Tamburro (alextamburro) | 41 comments Both. I'm hoping to publish my first book by next year and read a lot more.

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann Swaim (chirpyann) | 83 comments Awesome! That's so exciting! Mind me asking what it's about or just the genre? I'm currently working on a fantasy novel. I'm about 40 pages away from being done with the first edit. :)

message 8: by Alex (new)

Alex Tamburro (alextamburro) | 41 comments Of course I don't mind you asking!
My first novel is The Rose Vendetta.
I still need to research genre but for now I'm going with NA Fantasy Romance. I've been working on the story for about 6 years (yes, 6 years) and my newest draft took me about 8 months to write.
I'm trying to reduce my word count but so far I've added onto it and now it's 128K (yikes!).

Basically, the premise is that Rose, the main character, has been having this recurring nightmare for over 2 years but she suddenly starts having other dreams that are related to it and she tries to find out exactly what's going on.

What about yours?

message 9: by Ann (new)

Ann Swaim (chirpyann) | 83 comments That sounds really interesting! :) Congrats on getting through 128k!

Oh man xD I haven't had to pitch this yet. lol I'm still in the head space thinking if I tell people too much it will kill my momentum, but I suppose I need to get over that.

It's called The Legacy and Lazar Dynn. It's a fantasy/contemporary fantasy about a man, Lazar, who's magic amulet brings him to Earth from another world. But upon landing, the magic, that transported him, creates a prison suitable for it's surroundings. Trapped in his suburban home, with no need of food, water or rest, he makes one friend, the girl from across the street. But they never really meet, until the day the door opens.

I've never written a blurb or anything, so I'll need to work on it a bit more. Hopefully that doesn't give too much away xD

message 10: by Pat (new)

Pat | 105 comments There are a few things in the blurb that could be fixed. The book sounds interesting, though

message 11: by Renea (new)

Renea Taylor (lr_wimberly) | 2 comments Alexandra, have you thought about making your book into a series? With that many words, you have the means to turn it into three books.

message 12: by Ann (new)

Ann Swaim (chirpyann) | 83 comments Thanks Pat! Writing that post was my first attempt at that blurb. If you have suggestions, I'd be open to them. It's been a really fun story to write and I can't wait for others to read it :)

IKR, Renea! Or at least a duet? Is that what they're called? Two book series, yeah :)

message 13: by Alex (new)

Alex Tamburro (alextamburro) | 41 comments Ann, that sounds pretty interesting! My only advice on your blurb is that you shouldn't include any plot points that occur past the first 100 pages. I and many other people have read books where a certain plot point is mentioned in the back cover or front cover flap and wait hundreds of pages for it. The most well known example might be the Twilight back cover where it says something about Edward being a Vampire but that isn't revealed in the book for quite a while.

Renea (and Ann), funnily enough the book has actually already been split into two books. "The Rose Vendetta" is the first half and I'm still working on the second half/book. So far, I'm looking for what things I could cut down based on what my betas say because splitting it again seems really difficult and it also milks the series too much.

message 14: by Ann (new)

Ann Swaim (chirpyann) | 83 comments Thanks! I'll keep that in mind. I definitely need to do more research on the subject :)

Sounds like you're making some great progress :) Will be keeping an eye out for that release date!

message 15: by Pat (last edited Jun 11, 2016 10:18PM) (new)

Pat | 105 comments It's called The Legacy and Lazar Dynn. It's a fantasy/contemporary fantasy about a man, Lazar, WHOSE magic amulet brings him to Earth from another world. UPON landing, the magic that transported him creates a prison suitable for ITS surroundings. Trapped in his suburban home, with no need of food, water or rest, he makes one friend; the girl from across the street. But they never really meet, until the day the door opens.

message 16: by Ann (new)

Ann Swaim (chirpyann) | 83 comments LOL don't you just love when you miss those silly little typos. Thank you for that :)

message 17: by Pat (new)

Pat | 105 comments I am blessed (cursed?) in that I almost always see them. It's great when beta reading or when there are only a few, but can really mess me up when I'm trying to just read for fun.

message 18: by Ann (new)

Ann Swaim (chirpyann) | 83 comments Oh I can imagine xD I will need a lot of grammatical help. I'm terrible lol

message 19: by Pat (new)

Pat | 105 comments I LOVE fixing grammatical errors...sounds like we would work well together! I have beta read for several authors, including one who has four of the top ten books in Occult/fantasy on Amazon.

message 20: by Ann (new)

Ann Swaim (chirpyann) | 83 comments Looks like this is the beginning of a beautiful betaship lol :) I'll be ready for beta reading in the next couple months. I'm almost finished with my first edit. I'll give you a holler when it's ready, though, if that's ok with you. Thank you!

message 21: by Pat (new)

Pat | 105 comments Sure As long as I'm not jammed up with another read, I can get it done pretty quickly.

message 22: by Ann (new)

Ann Swaim (chirpyann) | 83 comments Sweet! Thank you :) I'm so glad to have found such a cool group. It's scary getting into something new and not know what to expect. This place has exceeded expectations!

message 23: by Pat (new)

Pat | 105 comments I'm fairly new here, too, and it is really fun to see what everyone is writing.

message 24: by Pat (new)

Pat | 105 comments Hi Talha. Pretty name! Welcome!

message 25: by Ann (new)

Ann Swaim (chirpyann) | 83 comments Yay for newbies! Hi, Talha! Nice to meet you too!