Play Book Tag discussion

A Study in Sable (Elemental Masters #11)
This topic is about A Study in Sable
June, 2016: Fantasy > A Study in Sable by Mercedes Lackey - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

annapi | 4850 comments I love this series. After a few duds from Lackey it's great to have a good solid book in one of my favorite series. In this volume (#12), she brings back two characters that we met as children in book 5 of the series, and makes them protagonists in their own story. Now grown up, they use their psychic and mediumistic powers to help clients. What makes this even more fun is that their clients who are in need of their abilities are John & Mary Watson, who turn out to be Elemental Masters (Mary of Air and John of Water), as well as Sherlock Holmes, who is definitely not and does not believe in the existence of magic. This series has always used fairy tales as the basis for the stories and using Holmes and Watson now makes for a pleasant and interesting twist.

message 2: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2710 comments I've never read Mercedes Lackey. Any suggestions about a good place to start?

annapi | 4850 comments Yikes, she has so many series, and of different types, it's hard to recommend. Her first book was Arrows of the Queen, which introduced the world of Valdemar, where most of her writing is set in. But that first trilogy, as with a lot of first books by an author, has its flaws and is really more YA. One of the best Valdemar trilogies was the Last Herald-Mage (Magic's Pawn, Magic's Promise & Magic's Price). Another Valdemar favorite for me is Oathbound / Oathbreaker / By the Sword.

She was also my introduction to urban fantasy, with her Diana Tregarde series, way before the term "urban fantasy" was coined.

I love the Elemental Masters series, which is kind of fairy tale retellings. Her Five Hundred Kingdoms series is also good, that one is more closely related to fairy tales.

She has another series with dragons and dragonriders, and another urban fantasy series featuring elves and bikers (Serrated Edge), which is a collaboration with other authors.

She just started a new series, Hunter, which is very good.

message 4: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2710 comments Thanks! I've read that she compares well with McCaffrey. What do you think?

annapi | 4850 comments Jgrace wrote: "Thanks! I've read that she compares well with McCaffrey. What do you think?"

As far as quality of writing, yes. Both of them have hits and misses. Overall both are very good, and very prolific. Interestingly, both have a sci-fi storyline involving cutesy space cats, though of those I prefer Lackey's (I found McCaffrey's cats too saccharine).

Let me know which book you are thinking of starting with. I can also get you ecopies of any of the books.