Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Adding New Books > Help adding a book please!

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by KonicStar (new)

KonicStar Hi,
So I am not a librarian but I would like to add a book with a URL link to where people can find the story. It is a free read. It is my understanding that only librarians can add URLs. Are there any librarians available to help me with adding a new book.

message 2: by Z-squared (new)

Z-squared | 8580 comments is the book on Goodreads already? if so, can you provide the link to its entry here? if not, provide all the following information you can:

* Title
* Author(s) name(s)
* ISBN (or ASIN)
* Publisher
* Publication date
* Format
* Description
* Link to cover on a NON-BOOKSELLER site, such as a publisher site, an author site, etc. No B&N or other bookseller links can be used as sources for covers or other book data, with the (recently-changed) exception of Amazon and its subsidiaries.

And you will need to provide the free-read URL that you'd like added.

message 3: by KonicStar (last edited May 08, 2014 05:59PM) (new)

KonicStar Thanks for replying. The book is not on goodreads. It is also not published. This is the info for book 1 (it is a 4 book series). Also, the book did not have a cover image so I personally created a simple cover (I am not the author), would it be against policy to use my cover? I don't have a link for the cover image, only a jpg file I could send you.

message 4: by Z-squared (new)

Z-squared | 8580 comments hrm. the URl field is really only for official pages, either from the author or from the publisher. where is this story published?

message 5: by KonicStar (new)

KonicStar The story is not published. Its a story that I followed on a message board. The author gave me permission to post it.

message 6: by Z-squared (new)

Z-squared | 8580 comments I'm not sure this is a book by GR standards. Any other librarians want to weigh in?

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 43615 comments Mod
Jiffy wrote: "The story is not published."

Then it does not belong on Goodreads. If it has also been posted -- complete and in its entirety -- on a site like Wattpad, that would constitute publication for Goodreads purposes. But not uploading to a Google Drive.

message 8: by KonicStar (new)

KonicStar I thought allowances were made for fanfics as far as actually being published. But thats fine, thanks for letting me know. As I am new to the site I dont know all the rules. Can you please delete this entry from when I tried to add it myself, (I deleted all the info already):
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 9: by Z-squared (new)

Z-squared | 8580 comments done

message 10: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Jiffy wrote: "I thought allowances were made for fanfics as far as actually being published."

They are. That's why we accept stories listed (complete and in their entirety) on sites such as Wattpad, Archive of Our Own, Fanfiction.net, and so on.

message 11: by KonicStar (new)

KonicStar The site which the story is originally from is a message board, would that count as being published? Could I use that site in the URL section? And if so could I still include the mobi file? Only because it's so tedious to read the story from the board. And the author gave permission to share the link.

message 12: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Jiffy wrote: "The site which the story is originally from is a message board, would that count as being published?"

Sorry, but no. And by the way, you wouldn't be able to upload the mobi here regardless.