Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Workshop No New Posts > Blurb Motivation

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ben (new)

Ben Mariner I usually don't have a lot of trouble writing a blurb for a book. It comes pretty easily, for the most part. But now I'm facing writer's block...for a blurb. Ugh. The idea of condensing this book into a paragraph or two seems incredibly daunting right now. I just can't seem to find the words.

Someone help! How do you write your blurbs? Any techniques you use? How do I kick blurb block in the groin and knock this thing out?

message 2: by Ben (new)

Ben Mariner A treasure hunter is hired to steal a necklace from a princess, but gets a lot more than he bargained for when he (kind of) kidnaps her instead.

message 3: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments Ben wrote: "Someone help! How do you write your blurbs? Any techniques you use? How do I kick blurb block in the groin and knock this thing out?"

Well, first of all, I would NEVER kick it in the groin. Blurb blocks don't really appreciate that too much, and really, who can blame em, eh? *smirks* Okay, I'm a dork. Don't hate me. Unless hating me sparks your blurb! Then please, hate away!! :D

Okay, serious answer. Hmm. Personally, I just write whatever random stuff pops into my head and give it a haircut (or a shave) from there. But that's probably not the best "strategy." Sooo. Perhaps you can compile a short list of what you want the reader to know, then cut it down to what you think is essential, then cut it down to what you think is most compelling from those?

I dunno if that helps at all. Yeah, I probably shouldn't have answered this hahaha but *shrugs* it's already typed out, so I'm hitting "post"...

message 4: by Ben (new)

Ben Mariner Annie wrote: "Ben wrote: "Someone help! How do you write your blurbs? Any techniques you use? How do I kick blurb block in the groin and knock this thing out?"

Well, first of all, I would NEVER kick it in the g..."

Stream of consciousness posting is totally a Ben move. I respect it.

message 5: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments That's a good start Ben. I would skip the (kind of) though. It lessens the punch. Other wise, it think it's perfect. I like it.

message 6: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments Although I just read another blurb with the 'more than he/she bargained for'. So maybe it's a bit cliché. Is there a way to phrase it a bit differently? more personalized for the book?

message 7: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4270 comments Mod
G.G. wrote: "That's a good start Ben. I would skip the (kind of) though. It lessens the punch. Other wise, it think it's perfect. I like it."

Unless the book is intended to be a bit humorous. Then it works.

message 8: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 606 comments Hello :). I go off the basics, that a blurb should introduce the protagonist, setting, and conflict. That is where I try to start.

So-and-so is a (lovable? scoundrel?) jewel thief for hire who _____.

When a simple heist turns into a hostage situation, _____.

It was just another day for Princess so-and-so, until _____.

I tend to go comatose after reading three paragraphs of a blurb that has several more paragraphs afterward. I think that keeping it short and sweet is always the goal. Good luck :).

message 9: by Ben (new)

Ben Mariner Ok, first of all, love all this advice. Thanks everyone!

This is a fantasy book set on a cube planet and it's definitely a humorous story, so take that into account.

Here's a rough first draft:

Cubonia’s most famous treasure hunter, Broderick Porter, has just been hired to steal a necklace from Queen Annelise’s youngest daughter, Alexandra. The job seems simple enough. Sneak into a well-fortified, swipe the goods, and sneak out. But Alexandra has different plans. She dreams of leaving her stuffy royal life behind to hunt monsters. When Broderick shows up looking for the necklace, they strike a deal. Alexandra will give up the necklace if Broderick trains her to fulfill her dreams. When the duo delivers the necklace to the dastardly Witch of the Wastes, things take a rather unexpected turn. Alexandra is taken prisoner by the Witch, and Broderick, wanted for kidnapping the princess, finds himself in the royal prison. Broderick is more than willing to make a deal with Queen Annelise to rescue her daughter in exchange for his freedom. Teaming up with some unlikely partners, Broderick sets off to rescue a princess he’s responsible for endangering in the first place.

Not super pleased with this. I feel like it's a little wordy. Thoughts?

message 10: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Cubonia’s most famous treasure hunter, Broderick Porter, has just been hired to steal a necklace from Queen Annelise’s youngest daughter, Alexandra. The job seems simple enough. Sneak into a well-fortified, swipe the goods, and sneak out. But Alexandra has different plans. She dreams of leaving her stuffy royal life behind to hunt monsters. When Broderick shows up looking for the necklace, they strike a deal.Alexandra [says she] will give up the necklace if Broderick trains her to fulfill her dreams. When the duo delivers the necklace to the dastardly Witch of the Wastes, things take a rather unexpected turn. Alexandra is taken prisoner by the Witch, and Broderick wanted for kidnapping the princess finds himself in the royal prison. Broderick is more than willing to make a deal with Queen Annelise to rescue her daughter in exchange for his freedom. Teaming up with some unlikely partners, Broderick sets off to rescue a princess he’s responsible for endangering in the first place.

Just a thought.

message 11: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

C.B. Archer | 1090 comments Mod
Now you've done it Ben. You've gone and learned that blurbs are hard to write. :D

My advice: Don't learn that fact and you will be fine! ;)

message 12: by Ben (new)

Ben Mariner Ok, modded it slightly. How's this:

Cubonia’s most famous treasure hunter, Broderick Porter, has just been hired to steal a necklace from Queen Annelise’s youngest daughter, Alexandra. But Alexandra has different plans. When Broderick shows up looking for the necklace, Alexandra says she will give up the necklace if Broderick trains her to fulfill her dreams of hunting monsters. When the duo delivers the necklace to the dastardly Witch of the Wastes, Alexandra is taken prisoner by the Witch and Broderick finds himself in the royal prison. Now Broderick must rescue the princess and set things right before he finds his head in a guillotine.

message 13: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Looking many gooder Ben.

message 14: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 606 comments Not only does the blurb look awesome, the book sounds awesome too :) I think your modified version makes a lot more sense.

message 15: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) V.M. wrote: "Moved this to the appropriate folder.

Ben - don't feel discouraged. There are techniques to doing the blurb.

Why don't you start by telling us what the story is about in 1 line. (no spoilers)

..."

great examples! i'm going to try that.

message 16: by Ben (new)

Ben Mariner This is awesome guys, thanks. I went from hopeless desperation to optimistic adjacent! This group is fantastic!

message 17: by Noah (new)

Noah Nichols (nanmanme) I'm a firm believer in bite-sized blurbs. Almost bordering on teasing the reader, enticing them to know more off of only a general primer. I like yours, Ben. It's very detailed, yet brief.

Here's mine for an upcoming novel:

A divorced, recovering alcoholic is killed after rescuing a kitten from getting run over by a teen driver texting. Inexplicably reincarnated as a kitten himself soon thereafter, Cade A. Tanner is saved by his ex-wife...who has now become a closet drunk.

The book is called Cat Incarcerated and I've had a lot of fun writing it.

message 18: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Reber | 181 comments Ben wrote: "Ok, modded it slightly. How's this:

Cubonia’s most famous treasure hunter, Broderick Porter, has just been hired to steal a necklace from Queen Annelise’s youngest daughter, Alexandra. But Alexand..."

Please post when you publish your book, because this sounds FABULOUS! I cannot wait to read it. 8-)

message 19: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Late to the party, but since I've got insider information...

What you have is good. My only suggestion might be to tweak it a little to give some background. Maybe say something about how he never backs away from a challenge or how he's done all theae dangerous things and stealing the necklace should have been an easy job, but the princess throws a monkey wrench into his plans.

My technique is typically to write out the cheeziest, most over the top cliche pitch (every one of them beginning with the words "In a world...") and get the silly out of my system. Usually I can actually pick some good points out of the dreck.

Of course, you could always just say this is the madcap adventures of Princess Monster Hunter and Mr. Not A Thief and I'd be sold.

message 20: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments Christina wrote: "My technique is typically to write out the cheeziest, most over the top cliche pitch (every one of them beginning with the words "In a world...") and get the silly out of my system. "

Aww, dang! That's where I'm going wrong, Miss Christina! The silly just never gets outta my system :P (Kinda, sorta, not really kidding *sigh*)

As for you, Mr Ben...

I step way from GR for the day and come back to find that you've done a wonderful reworking of your blurb! *high fives* Okay, I'm just being nitpicky now and I don't know if anyone else would even agree, but I feel like it has too many names. Like, what I mean is "Broderick" and "Alexandra" feel overused to me...if that makes sense? Dunno though. Hope someone can give some input hahaha.

Hugs,
Ann

message 21: by Ben (new)

Ben Mariner I'm going to do a little more modding today. Important question:

This is a very different world, similar to Terry Pratchett's Discworld, should I put in an extra paragraph that gives a brief intro to that? Something short, like the important bit in the blurb for The Color of Magic? Would that be too wordy?

message 22: by Ben (new)

Ben Mariner How's this:

On a cube planet embroiled in magic, monsters, adventure, and sticky buns, a sinister plot unfolds that will join unlikely friends on a journey where the flow of time is variable and youth is at stake.

Cubonia’s most famous treasure hunter, Broderick Porter, has just been hired to steal a necklace from Queen Annelise’s youngest daughter, Alexandra. For one so skilled, it should be an easy job. But the princess has different plans. When Broderick shows up looking for the necklace, Alexandra makes him an offer: she will give up the necklace if he trains her to fulfill her dreams of hunting monsters. When the duo delivers the necklace to the dastardly Witch of the Wastes, Alexandra is taken prisoner by the Witch and Broderick finds himself in the royal prison. Now Broderick must rescue the princess and set things right before he finds his head in a guillotine.

message 23: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Ben wrote: "How's this:

On a cube planet embroiled in magic, monsters, adventure, and sticky buns, a sinister plot unfolds that will join unlikely friends on a journey where the flow of time is variable and y..."

I'm going to disagree with VM and say don't change anything about this. Especially the sticky buns. That's a nice touch.

message 24: by Ben (new)

Ben Mariner Christina wrote: "Ben wrote: "How's this:

On a cube planet embroiled in magic, monsters, adventure, and sticky buns, a sinister plot unfolds that will join unlikely friends on a journey where the flow of time is va..."

Well they're featured so prominently, I figured they deserved a mention.

message 25: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Reber | 181 comments Hey wait...can I go to this planet? I could use a sticky bun right now. Just give me directions. !-)

message 26: by Ben (new)

Ben Mariner Shannon wrote: "Hey wait...can I go to this planet? I could use a sticky bun right now. Just give me directions. !-)"

Second star to the right and the straight on til.....wait, that's somewhere else.

message 27: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments Ben wrote: "Well they're featured so prominently, I figured they deserved a mention"

Bennnnn!

Okay, I freakin' adore this part!! It's giggle-worthy and caught my attention. Like, makes you stand out from the other...oh, I dunno...bazillion blurbs of this genre (and every genre)?

Dig it :)

Hugs,
Ann

message 28: by Ben (new)

Ben Mariner V.M. wrote: "Christina wrote: "Ben wrote: "How's this:

On a cube planet embroiled in magic, monsters, adventure, and sticky buns, a sinister plot unfolds that will join unlikely friends on a journey where the ..."

Hey, share the love. I'll give you my address so you can mail me one.