Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2016 Weekly checkins > Week 23: 6/3-6/9

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Juanita (last edited Jun 09, 2016 07:36AM) (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Good morning fellow readers!

I have progress to report! Woo hoo! I read The Graveyard Book Volume 1 for my graphic novel. I was disappointed. I have the actual long-form novel by Neil Gaiman on my Kindle, which I will probably read. Last year I read The Complete Maus for my graphic novel, which had been on my TBR list forever. I just don't think graphic novels are my thing and that is OK. This accomplishment puts me at 29/41.

I have two challenge books in progress including And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie, an author whom I have never read. This will be my murder mystery.

I'm just about finished with my book club book for the month Between You & Me: Confessions of a Comma Queen, which won't fit any prompts but would work for "protagonist with your same job" for someone who is a copy editor or works in publishing.

Vote for the July group read
Click here to cast your vote for our July group read: a book that takes place in the summer. The poll will also show up at the bottom of our group page and in the POLLS section for which there is a link on the homepage to the right (under the image of the book with the pages folded like a heart.)

Question of the week: Where is your favorite place to read?

I don't know that I have a "favorite" place myself. I just love a quiet place (no music, no talking, no kids :-) that I can concentrate on what I'm reading. On Memorial Day last week, we went out on a boat and both kids fell asleep. My husband was driving and I just laid back and read for two hours. It was bliss.

Can't wait to hear from all of you!

message 2: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Jones | 5333 comments Mod
This week I finished only ONE book! I've got a lot in process though so I should finish several next week. My one book was not for this Challenge which means my progress has not changed, I continue to be 37/41.

My one book was What Lies Between Us. This would work for blue cover, culture I'm unfamiliar with, or takes place on an island. (I used it for the "author from Southeast Asia" task in the Book Riot Challenge.) It's about a young woman who grew up in Sri Lanka, then emigrated to the U.S., and was arrested for harming her child. It starts with her in prison. She tells us her story to show how things came to that point. It was very well written and certainly thought-provoking, but not as good as I had hoped it would be.

Favorite place to read: lying in bed! Which is where I read every night. Other nice places: sitting on the beach, sitting on a recliner in my backyard, or reclining in a LaZBoy (my parents had one so that was my preferred reading spot growing up).

message 3: by Megan (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 537 comments 19/41

I only finished one book and I just checked it hasn't made the best seller list. Its The Crown. Its fine - it'll still count for my yearly reading goal and I put it in my Around The Year challenge.

I do have two challenge books in progress which I'm happy about because this week I was super busy.

I have my book written by celebrity in progress - which I'm only about 50 pages shy of finishing. I selected Scared Scriptless. I really like it. Its been a quick fun read which is what I needed because I was borderline to falling in to a reading slump.

I also have the audiobook of A Million Suns. I think I'm going to switch to the e-book copy though. Its the second book of the Across the Universe series that I'm using for my science-fiction novel. I enjoyed the first book - but this one is not really wowing me just yet.

My favorite places to read are poolside, the couch, laying in bed before sleeping - in that order. But of course I wouldn't say no to reading on a beach somewhere...but that's a dream considering I don't live anywhere near a beach haha

message 4: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments I have not finished any books this week. I'm at 31/41.

I am working on two new release books:

The One-in-a-Million Boy
Jane Steele

Both are pretty good, but they aren't all consuming. If I finish either of them I may use it to replace my book published this year since I really didn't like the one I read.

Question of the week: I don't know that I have a favorite place to read either. I like to sit out on my back deck if its nice, but I need a more comfortable chair. My parents have a nice swing that I would love to relax on and read! I am working towards turning a spare room in my house into my library. If I can manage it I will include a comfortable reading chair, but that's probably years away.

message 5: by Fannie (new)

Fannie D'Ascola | 409 comments I just finished yesterday The Girl on the Train and I will use it for murder mystery since my movie prompt is alreay filled.

I like it okay, but not more than that.

I also read The Aeronaut's Windlass but it fits no prompt.

I'm starting Why Not Me? for the celebrity book.

Question of the week: I like to read outside. In a park, on my patio, near a beach. Anywhere with sun.

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 617 comments This week, I read two books for my Around the Year challenge and just one for PopSugar, but it was one of the best books I've read all year!

I read A Monster Calls as my book becoming a movie this year, and I was blown away by it. It was an amazing book, and a little ironic since I had just finishing reading another book for much younger readers (Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret), and found it really hard to get into, in part because I think I was too old for it. A Monster Calls proved that it doesn't really matter the intended audience, as long as the book is good.

I generally like to read in my room, either under the blankets in my bed, or on my chair at the desk so I can control the music.

message 7: by Kaci (new)

Kaci | 67 comments This week I finished two books, The Last Summer by Ann Brashares, who wrote the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, and The Road, Cormac McCarthy. Neither were as good as I thought they'd be, though the ending of The Road made up for the repetitive story line. Im using them to fill Set on an Island and Dystopian.

My favorite place to read is looking out the window in a comfy chair with a blanket and tea. Or on the New England beach, but thats kind of up to the elements :)

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah FitzGerald | 14 comments I finished two books this week-both yesterday. I read Yes Please by Amy Poehler as my book by a comedian and You Are a Badass by Jen Sincero as my self-improvement book. I'm not sure what to read next. I was considering The Girl on the Train, but I'm on library wait lists to get it so I think I would have to buy it if I wanted to catch up with the June read.

My favorite place to read is on the porch swing outside, with a cup of tea or coffee.

message 9: by Lindi (new)

Lindi (lindimarie) I only finished one book this week, The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank for A book translated to English. I believe this was my first time reading it (at least I can't remember if I did when I was in school), and it was pretty good. Obviously it's not a captivating can't put down story, as it's just a diary, but it was so so interesting.

This week I'm working on Modern Romance and The Princess Bride.

I wouldn't say I have a FAVORITE place, as I usually end up reading at work, on the couch, or in bed. Just preferably someplace quiet.
I would say my IDEAL place is on a porch or balcony (some shady spot outdoors with a breeze), with a snack or drink in hand with the rest of the day to read.

message 10: by Mike (new)

Mike | 443 comments Finished Spade & Archer: The Prequel to Dashiell Hammett's The Maltese Falcon for the prequel half of A Book and it's Prequel. The "Book" half was The Maltese Falcon, which I read a few months ago.

About 1/3 of the way through our June Group Read, The Girl on the Train. Enjoying it so far.

25/41 complete.

I like to read anywhere! No real preference. When I get some time I just pull out the phone and read my ebook.

message 11: by AF (new)

AF | 319 comments This week I finished The Maze Runner by James Dashner for my dystopian prompt. I like it okay. I felt like it was too far-fetched though. However, I would like to read the next book when I'm done with this challenge. I'm 27/41 now. When I finish this challenge, which should be by early to mid fall, I plan on going back and reading all the rest of the books in series I've started.

I started Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. It's a slow start so far. So many people love this book so I'm very excited for it to pick up the pace.

QotW: My favorite place to read is in bed or on the couch. I need somewhere comfortable and cozy. I can read other places and often do. I especially love to read on a rainy day in a quiet house. *sigh*

message 12: by Christophe (last edited Jun 10, 2016 03:11PM) (new)

Christophe Bonnet | 212 comments Only one book read this week for the challenge:

✅✅6. A book translated to English (2): Stieg Larsson, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millenium trilogy, #1), MacLehose, 2008 (translated from Swedish, 1st ed. 2005).

An easy read, quite captivating despite its shortcoming.

Also read Deadline by John Sandford. Could fit in the "murder mystery" prompt but I have other plans for that one.

That puts me at 43/82. Chugging on.

QOTW: I'd go for bed or couch as well. Must confess that I'm actually doing quite a bit of reading in the crapper, though... :D

Thegirlintheafternoon Nothing to report this week. OOF, what a week it's been.

message 14: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Christophe:

a) You must have children.
b) Overshare (as we say in the States.) ;-)

message 15: by Catharina (new)

Catharina (_nekoi) | 93 comments I've been in a huge reading slump, or rather I'm still in it. It took me almost three weeks to finish Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.
I'm still ahead though, so shouldn't worry to much (but I do).

28/41 and am now working on non-challenge books to get through me TBR pile.

I don't really have a favorit place, as long as it's not too loud so I can concentrate I can read anywhere. Mostly I read on my commute to/from work.

message 16: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Holbrook (jessicalh08) | 86 comments I've been working on Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children this week. I'm about half way done.

I like to read to a comfy chair or in bed. I get into trouble with the bed though. No matter how good the book is If i'm even slightly sleepy I'll be out in 10 mins. haha.

message 17: by Patricia (new)

Patricia I had family in town this week and Vacation Bible School at church so I didn't read much. I did manage to read Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children--loved it--and started Empire of the Summer Moon (audio) for another challenge.
QOTW: I don't really have a favorite place to read. Any place where I won't be interrupted works for me.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.