Save Our Cozies Readathon discussion

Introductions > Just a place to say Hi and introduce yourself

Comments Showing 1-50 of 118 (118 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) I am Tina, moderator of this group and admin for the Save Our Cozies Readathon. I have a book blog https://angrygreycatreads.com/ . I have participated in other readathons, including Dewey's throughout the years, but this is my first time as an admin. I am a math teacher, mother of 2 college students, and avid reader. I currently live in NJ, but I have lived all over the world.

I am excited about the readathon and hope that it lends support to our cozy mystery series and authors. Looking forward to meeting other cozy readers through this event.

message 2: by Karen-Leigh (new)

Karen-Leigh | 32 comments Hi I am Karen-Leigh: I have some of the books on the list shown on the site, is it a requirement that I buy the others shown? I am not clear on the rules. I have my start time and choice of first book to read but need to know how this works. Sounds like fun. I hardly need an excuse to read but I do not want any of my series to disappear. Anything I can do to support individual authors...just give me a hint.

message 3: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) Karen-Leigh wrote: "Hi I am Karen-Leigh: I have some of the books on the list shown on the site, is it a requirement that I buy the others shown? I am not clear on the rules. I have my start time and choice of first b..."

Hi - During the readathon, we would like to focus on the endangered series, but any cozies at all would be great. You don't need to buy anything for this that you don't want to have. Basically, while you are reading check in on the social media platform(s) of your choice, post about the book you are reading, respond to others who are posting, participate in activities if you like - for example, one activity will be to post about a favorite cosy, another will be to guess which cozy we are talking about from clues, etc. It is as interactive as you want it to be. We will provide and post the activities hourly, but participation in an individual activity is not required. There will be giveaways for participation.

I am really excited for this event. I have participated a few times in Dewey's, which is a huge online readathon and always had a good time and have met lots of other great readers on line from them.

Any questions don't hestitate to ask me or the other moderator - Ronnie Cozy Cat.

The main idea is that by reading and discussing cozies on line we will raise awareness and create a social media presence for them, hopefully getting others to buy more cozies :).

message 4: by Stellans (new)

Stellans | 10 comments Hi, I'm Stella, and this is the first readathon I've participated in since summer vacation at my grandmother's house in Texas when I was 11 years old. Although the genre is different this time, I am looking forward to this very much!

message 5: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) Stellans wrote: "Hi, I'm Stella, and this is the first readathon I've participated in since summer vacation at my grandmother's house in Texas when I was 11 years old. Although the genre is different this time, I a..."

Glad to have you with us. I am really looking forward to it. We will have activites and events throughout the readathon with giveaways.

message 6: by Karen-Leigh (new)

Karen-Leigh | 32 comments Yesterday I bought a few books from the endangered list: Krista Davis' Diva Takes the Cake (I already have Diva Takes Thyme); Peg
Cochran's Allergic to Death, Steamed to Death, Iced to Death; Paige Sheldon's To Helvetica, If Fried Chicken Could Fly and put the others in that series on my wish list; Leigh Perry's The Skeleton Takes a Bow, The Skeleton in the Family (I already have The Skeleton Haunts a House; Lynn Cahoon's Tea Cups and Carnage and preordered Hospital and Homicide; Erika Chase I already bought and read Law and Author' I have all of Krista Davis' Paws and Claws series and preordered Mission Impawsible so I am more than ready for the Readathon.

message 7: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) Karen-Leigh wrote: "Yesterday I bought a few books from the endangered list: Krista Davis' Diva Takes the Cake (I already have Diva Takes Thyme); Peg
Cochran's Allergic to Death, Steamed to Death, Iced to Death; Paig..."

That is awesome! I also did some shopping with a gift card I had. I got the books I needed to finish Avery Aames Cheese Shop series, Christine Wenger's Comfort Foods series, Reading up a storm by Eva Gates, and Death of an English Muffin by Victoria Hamilton.

I loved Peg Cochrans Allergic to Death, Steamed to Death, etc. I was sad that that one got cancelled.

message 8: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) Just checking in - over 30 officially signed up! A few bloggers are going to be supporting us as well which is awesome, including http://www.escapewithdollycas.com/ and http://acupofteaandacozymystery.blogs...

message 9: by Kim (last edited Jun 18, 2016 08:45AM) (new)

Kim Galla (catmommie) Hi everyone, I'm Kim, from CT. I don't have a blog, but I review on GR. I'll be listening to The Haunted Yarn Shop or reading Family Skeleton for the RaT. I'm leaning towards listening so I can do some knitting and decluttering.

message 10: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) Kim wrote: "Hi everyone, I'm Kim, from CT. I don't have a blog, but I review on GR. I'll be listening to The Haunted Yarn Shop or reading Family Skeleton for the RaT. I'm leaning towards listening so I can do ..."

Welcome. So glad you can join us. I am really looking forward to the event. Don't work too hard!

message 11: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1 comments Hello fellow cozy fans -- I'm Ruth, and I will admit to already being so eager to start I'm already dusting off my best list-making talents to start up the SOC TBR pile. Heck, the way I'm going I will need to reinforce the table holding the pile. Is it gauche to name your TBR pile? Possibly I could go with Kilamanjaro.

message 12: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) I think it is just fine to name your pile...as long as it doesn't get too aggressive. Mine was on my nightstand and attacked me one night as I slept.

message 13: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 17 comments My pile is no longer a pile, more like a contagious disease. Cozies have spread into every room in my house, threatening other items that get in their way.

I'm jaxnsmom and am co-moderator of Cozy Mystery Corner. Years ago all I read were cozies. They're gone now, and I hate to think of current series disappearing too.

message 14: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) jaxnsmom wrote: "My pile is no longer a pile, more like a contagious disease. Cozies have spread into every room in my house, threatening other items that get in their way.

I'm jaxnsmom and am co-moderator of Cozy..."

I know, it is especially frustrating when you don't know what happened. I have been invested in a couple series that just stopped. No information on the author, no updates on their websites etc. At least in this case we know what is happening and can try to do something about it.

message 15: by April (last edited Jun 25, 2016 05:58AM) (new)

April Schilling | 2 comments Hi everyone!

I'm Casey from Taunton, MA :) I've been a reader since I was 3 (according to my mother) and still own the first book I paid for with my own money at a school book fair. My TBR list has taken over my Kindle and quite a few boxes for my move back home to NC. I'll be reading Peg Cochran's Iced to Death and Avery Aames' As Gouda As Dead for my first couple of books for the Readathon. I think this is going to be a lot of fun!

message 16: by Jackie (new)

Jackie I'm Jackie from Sugar Land, TX (just seconds away from Houston). I have a lot of cozies on my Kindle and if I need to I will add at least one from the endangered list. I know I have some that are already on there. I love cats, so there will definitely be a cat cozy! My calendar is blocked off and I have my spare portable battery charger ready to go. I use that if I am reading too far from an outlet-for example, on the bed! Looking forward to these books.

message 17: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Riley | 23 comments Hi everyone!

I am Debbie and live in Houston, TX. I can't wait for this to start. I love cozy mysteries!! My TBR pile is spread out between closet, night stand, dresser and not counting nook and what I have on my kindle app!!

message 18: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) Debbie wrote: "Hi everyone!

I am Debbie and live in Houston, TX. I can't wait for this to start. I love cozy mysteries!! My TBR pile is spread out between closet, night stand, dresser and not counting nook and w..."

Well hopefully you will get to make at least a small dent in it with the readathon :)

Tina

message 19: by Kimberley (new)

Kimberley Cornwell | 5 comments Hello everyone! Kimberley from Chicago checking in. I'm looking forward to reading new works to me and revisiting some old friends from Laura DiSilverio and Eva Gates just to name two!

message 20: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) Kimberley wrote: "Hello everyone! Kimberley from Chicago checking in. I'm looking forward to reading new works to me and revisiting some old friends from Laura DiSilverio and Eva Gates just to name two!"

Hi, so happy to see another goodreads participant. Eva Gates and Laura DiSilverio have both donated books as prizes so maybe you will get lucky! Looking forward to the readathon!

message 21: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Hi, I'm Catherine from Bloomington, Illinois. I'm a member of the Save our Cozies Facebook group but just signed up for the Readathon tonight :) I have a TON of cozies on my books to read "shelf" so I won't have a problem finding something to read for the event!! Looking forward to it!

message 22: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) Catherine wrote: "Hi, I'm Catherine from Bloomington, Illinois. I'm a member of the Save our Cozies Facebook group but just signed up for the Readathon tonight :) I have a TON of cozies on my books to read "shelf" s..."

Great! Good to see someone coming over from Facebook!. The point of the event (beside the reading) is to build a supportive cozy mystery community, so thank you!

Tina (Franz Chapman at Facebook)

message 23: by A.E.H. (new)

A.E.H. Veenman (exobia) Hi Everyone,

I'm author A. E. H. Veenman and am also a member of the Facebook group, Save Our Cozies.

I live in The Netherlands, so there's quite a time difference between us. But I'm willing to do everything within my online power to contribute to the cause.

message 24: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) A.E.H. wrote: "Hi Everyone,

I'm author A. E. H. Veenman and am also a member of the Facebook group, Save Our Cozies.

I live in The Netherlands, so there's quite a time difference between us. But I'm willing to..."

Thank you! Your book is included on the bookshelves here at goodreads and on the website. Glad to have you join us. As far as the time difference goes - we will all start at the same time, 00:01 Am July 16th here in EST - I have a time zone converter on the website and will be posting countdowns leading up to it. So 00:01 Saturday July 16th in Nj is 06:01 AM Saturday July 16th in the Netherlands (if the converter is correct) I wanted to do do the timing this way so that everyone is on Hour 1 together, hour 2, etc.

Tina

message 25: by Toni (T.C.) (new)

Toni  (T.C.) LoTempio (toni1953) | 9 comments HI, I'm Toni (T.C.) Lotempio and my mystery series, Nick and Nora, is one that is in danger of cancellation by the Penguin/Random merger! I've never participated in a readathon before, but I'll try anything once. In the meantime, if you like author interviews, visit our blog, www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com where ROCCO conducts author interviews and hosts giveaways pretty much every week. :)

message 26: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Updated my profile pic to advertise our Readathon. Hopefully all the people in my other groups will see it and ask about it! :)

message 27: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) Toni (T.C.) wrote: "HI, I'm Toni (T.C.) Lotempio and my mystery series, Nick and Nora, is one that is in danger of cancellation by the Penguin/Random merger! I've never participated in a readathon before, but I'll try..."

If you'd like to participate, I would sign you up with our blog name and during the readathon we will have a blog hop so i would send traffic your way. I'm sorry to hear about your series.

message 28: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) Catherine wrote: "Updated my profile pic to advertise our Readathon. Hopefully all the people in my other groups will see it and ask about it! :)"

Thanks, that is a great idea! I will have to work on something for my avatar.

message 29: by Toni (T.C.) (new)

Toni  (T.C.) LoTempio (toni1953) | 9 comments Fanficfan44 wrote: "Toni (T.C.) wrote: "HI, I'm Toni (T.C.) Lotempio and my mystery series, Nick and Nora, is one that is in danger of cancellation by the Penguin/Random merger! I've never participated in a readathon ..."

thanks that would be great!

message 30: by Susan (new)

Susan Hi everyone, I'm Susan, living in the burbs of Phoenix AZ but originally from New Jersey. So excited to be here!!!

message 31: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) Susan wrote: "Hi everyone, I'm Susan, living in the burbs of Phoenix AZ but originally from New Jersey. So excited to be here!!!"

Hi Susan - I think there are a couple other NJ connections here. I live in NJ and a few others are former Nj people. Welcome

message 32: by Susan (last edited Jun 23, 2016 05:40PM) (new)

Susan I grew up in Bogota, In Bergen County!! I was born in Jersey City many many moons ago! Haha

message 33: by Toni (T.C.) (new)

Toni  (T.C.) LoTempio (toni1953) | 9 comments Susan wrote: "Hi everyone, I'm Susan, living in the burbs of Phoenix AZ but originally from New Jersey. So excited to be here!!!"
Hi Susan, I'm from NJ but i hope to move to Phoenix within the next few years! Welcome

message 34: by Anna Catharina (new)

Anna Catharina Toni (T.C.) wrote: "HI, I'm Toni (T.C.) Lotempio and my mystery series, Nick and Nora, is one that is in danger of cancellation by the Penguin/Random merger! I've never participated in a readathon before, but I'll try..."

Hello Toni, I'm really sorry to hear your serie is in danger of cancellation. I did a little bit of "research" and it sounds good, so now I've ordered all books of your serie :)

message 35: by Susan (new)

Susan Toni (T.C.) wrote: "Susan wrote: "Hi everyone, I'm Susan, living in the burbs of Phoenix AZ but originally from New Jersey. So excited to be here!!!"
Hi Susan, I'm from NJ but i hope to move to Phoenix within the nex..."

Hi Toni I used to work in Clifton at NPA right on Route 46 where it meets Route 3.......there was a hot dog place right over there that I used to go for lunch. They deep fried their hot dogs.

message 36: by Susan (new)

Susan I think it is the Hot Grill......they used to have buckets of pickles on every table?????

message 37: by Toni (T.C.) (new)

Toni  (T.C.) LoTempio (toni1953) | 9 comments Susan wrote: "Toni (T.C.) wrote: "Susan wrote: "Hi everyone, I'm Susan, living in the burbs of Phoenix AZ but originally from New Jersey. So excited to be here!!!"
Hi Susan, I'm from NJ but i hope to move to Ph..."

Anna Catharina wrote: "Toni (T.C.) wrote: "HI, I'm Toni (T.C.) Lotempio and my mystery series, Nick and Nora, is one that is in danger of cancellation by the Penguin/Random merger! I've never participated in a readathon ..."

Anna Catharina wrote: "Toni (T.C.) wrote: "HI, I'm Toni (T.C.) Lotempio and my mystery series, Nick and Nora, is one that is in danger of cancellation by the Penguin/Random merger! I've never participated in a readathon ..."

Did you mean the Hot Gril?

message 38: by Toni (T.C.) (new)

Toni  (T.C.) LoTempio (toni1953) | 9 comments Anna Catharina wrote: "Toni (T.C.) wrote: "HI, I'm Toni (T.C.) Lotempio and my mystery series, Nick and Nora, is one that is in danger of cancellation by the Penguin/Random merger! I've never participated in a readathon ..."

Thank you anna Catharina! Ihope youlike them

message 39: by Toni (T.C.) (new)

Toni  (T.C.) LoTempio (toni1953) | 9 comments Susan wrote: "I think it is the Hot Grill......they used to have buckets of pickles on every table?????"

Yep - still do

message 40: by Susan (new)

Susan Okay Toni, now I am craving fries and brown gravy!!!! Hahaha

message 41: by Toni (T.C.) (new)

Toni  (T.C.) LoTempio (toni1953) | 9 comments Susan wrote: "Okay Toni, now I am craving fries and brown gravy!!!! Hahaha"

me too!!!!!

message 42: by Susan (new)

Susan You better get your fill of them.......they dont have them out here!! Haha

message 43: by Toni (T.C.) (new)

Toni  (T.C.) LoTempio (toni1953) | 9 comments Susan wrote: "You better get your fill of them.......they dont have them out here!! Haha"

i have a few years to go yet....:)

message 44: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) Just in case anyone tries to reach me for Save Our Cozies Readathon business, I have tickets tomorrow to a Literary Festival and won't be home until evening. So I'm not ignoring messages or emails, I'll just get back to you Saturday Evening. Remember keep supporting our bloggers, Mark Baker http://carstairsconsiders.blogspot.com/ , Lori Boness Caswell http://www.escapewithdollycas.com/ , Karen M Owen http://acupofteaandacozymystery.blogs..., Kelly Maloney http://polishednailsandpuppydogtales.... and Betty Louise at https://idahobluebird50.wordpress.com/
Thank you cozy readers and authors!

message 45: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Enjoy yourself! Thanks for all the work you are doing :)

message 46: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) April wrote: "Hi everyone!

I'm Casey from Taunton, MA :) I've been a reader since I was 3 (according to my mother) and still own the first book I paid for with my own money at a school book fair. My TBR list ha..."

Sorry I must have missed this Casey. Welcome and thank you for joining. I do have you signed up so I must have just forgotten to reply here. I love the Peg Cochran and Avery Aames series, they are both really good.

message 47: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) Jackie wrote: "I'm Jackie from Sugar Land, TX (just seconds away from Houston). I have a lot of cozies on my Kindle and if I need to I will add at least one from the endangered list. I know I have some that are a..."

Welcome, good to have you with us!. Lots of great series with cats either prominent or at least featured so you will have a lot of choices!

message 48: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Wow, I just went through the group bookshelf to get ideas for what books I want to read for the Readathon. I have some books in my collection already that I can read, but looking at the shelf gave me some good ideas for books I want to buy!

message 49: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) Catherine wrote: "Wow, I just went through the group bookshelf to get ideas for what books I want to read for the Readathon. I have some books in my collection already that I can read, but looking at the shelf gave ..."

Good to hear. I had hoped people would find the bookshelf helpful. Sometimes I remember books by a cover but can't quite remember a title or author.

message 50: by Catherine (new)

Catherine I'm so behind on most of these authors. I am such a hoarder ... I have tons of cozies saved for my retirement. (I'm only in my 40's so I have a long way to go!)

« previous 1 3