Help For Writers discussion

Advice wanted for PWYF Novelette project

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joseph (new)

Joseph J. Wood (JosephJWood) | 2 comments Hi.

So I have a piece that's about 10,000 words. I figure this is too long to be sending out to short story magazines, for a couple of reasons. And the story itself shouldn't be cut down and shouldn't be any longer - it can't stretch to novel length.

So I figure I'd publish it myself as an ebook, which would be priced as "Pay What You Feel."

I'm pretty much set on this, so I was just wondering if anyone had any experience in any area of this. I've published a novel on Kindle myself so I have a little experience of publishing and marketing.

So what do people think?

Would be good to hear specifically about anyone's experience with PWYF e-book sites (both uploading and downloading) and any advice on reviewers (are there reviewers for 10,000 word books?) But any advice or ideas or anything is welcome. :)

message 2: by Tina (new)

Tina Foster | 134 comments Mod
Hi Joseph:

As you said, the piece is too long for most magazines, and too short to work into a novel, so most likely you would have to self-publish.

However, most places, like Kindle, which I'm most familiar with, you have to name a price. The buyer can't just "pay what you feel". For a work of that length, I'd maybe offer it for $2.99. That seems reasonable for the length. You can go as high as $3.99 but I wouldn't offer it for more than that. You could start with $1.99 and go up, after a few reviews come in.

If you plan to make it into a print version, then you would have to adjust the cost to take in the expense of paper, binding and print costs. Most have a minimum that you can charge to cover their costs, then add what you feel the reader would be willing to pay. It may depend on the genre of your work.

I hope this helps a bit.

Best wishes in your writing endeavors.

Tina Foster
Author of five books on the craft on writing,
Two fiction books, "Flirting With Danger" and "Trails of Deception."
www.amazon.com/author/fostertina

message 3: by Joseph (new)

Joseph J. Wood (JosephJWood) | 2 comments Hi Tina, thanks for your input.

While Kindle might not allow for a Pay What You Feel function, I know of at least one site that does:

https://gumroad.com/

I still need to check it out properly, but it should be what I'm looking for I think.

message 4: by Tina (new)

Tina Foster | 134 comments Mod
Never heard of that site. If they don't charge a fee, how do they make their money? Be careful that you're not giving away your work for free. Every author should take into consideration the time they spend on their writing. Also, the quality of their work. It should be worth something. Even if it's short.

Best of luck.

Tina Foster
www.amazon.com/author/fostertina