Editio Self-Publishing discussion

Self-Publishing questions > Advice wanted for PWYF Novelette project

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joseph (new)

Joseph J. Wood (JosephJWood) | 2 comments Hi.

So I have a piece that's about 10,000 words. I figure this is too long to be sending out to short story magazines, for a couple of reasons. And the story itself shouldn't be cut down and shouldn't be any longer - it can't stretch to novel length.

So I figure I'd publish it myself as an ebook, which would be priced as "Pay What You Feel."

I'm pretty much set on this, so I was just wondering if anyone had any experience in any area of this. I've published a novel on Kindle myself so I have a little experience of publishing and marketing.

So what do people think?

Would be good to hear specifically about anyone's experience with PWYF e-book sites (both uploading and downloading) and any advice on reviewers (are there reviewers for 10,000 word books?) But any advice or ideas or anything is welcome. :)

message 2: by Sonnet (new)

Sonnet Fitzgerald (sonnetfitzgerald) | 12 comments I don't know much about PWYF, but the length shouldn't be a problem! Traditionally, agents and publishers shied away from novellas and novelettes, simply because it wasn't worth the cost for them to produce copies. But digital publishing and reading has changed the field, and shorter works are having a real resurgence! Readers today are busier than they were 10 or 20 years ago and don't always have time to read a full-length novel. And more and more readers are using a tablet or phone, making a shorter work much easier for them to access.

If you still want to submit, I think there's space for that, too. Depending on genre, a lot of lit mags will take stories that length. But if self-publishing feels right to you, then go for it!