Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > Obsession by Nora Roberts - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2149 comments The Obsession by Nora Roberts
When the story starts - pretty much with a bang - I'm surprised I'm reading Nora Roberts. This is a story about a very nasty serial killer and what happens to his family.

Then the story switches to something that I know Roberts does so well, a lovely story about Naomi (daughter of the serial killer) buying a huge, rather decrepit house in Washington State. She starts a major rehab and is surprised at herself settling in one place. She has baggage from her life with her father and mother. She starts to meet people in the village and one man in particular gets under her skin. Roberts does such a good job on this type of story (not to say she didn't do an excellent job on the first part!) I think she's really captured the way of life in a small town. I lived in a small town (but bigger than this one) for over 30 years so I feel comfortable saying that.

The first part of the story, the serial killer father, haunts Naomi but just as it seems to be off to the past, Roberts brings the story full circle.

I've worked hard on this to keep the spoilers out! I really enjoyed this slight change of pace to the Roberts I've been used to reading lately. Now I really would love to travel to Washington and check out this town and the fictional house. Besides, I learned what a nurse tree is now and I love knowing that!

message 2: by Nicole R (last edited Jun 09, 2016 06:48AM) (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments Yay! I love Nora and I love when other people love Nora. I also thought the opening was darker than many of Nora's other books (of course, not darker than her J.D. Robb persona) but liked how Naomi's childhood impacted her adult life in a number of complicated ways. I also liked that she and her brother reacted completely different to their shared childhood. I really loved Mason...oh! And the kind of hippie gardener guy. Adored him.

I think that is what I love most about Nora books: I think she does relationship - romantic and otherwise - really well. She always has fun, quirky secondary characters who I love as much as the main couple.

And, like you, I think she picks great settings :)

Did you read the first book of her latest trilogy, Stars of Fortune? If so, the second book, Bay of Sighs comes out on Tuesday!

My mom, the woman who introduced me to Nora - though unwittingly because she didn't know I was stealing Nora off her book shelf when I was 15 - is going to be in town next weekend (yay!) and we are hoping for hot weather so we can lay on the beach and read Nora together :) Come on, that has to warm even Nora-hating-hearts!

message 3: by Barbara M (last edited Jun 10, 2016 01:47PM) (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2149 comments Nicole wrote: "Yay! I love Nora and I love when other people love Nora. I also thought the opening was darker than many of Nora's other books (of course, not darker than her J.D. Robb persona) but liked how Naomi..."

I haven't read Stars of Fortune. I'll have to put it on my list. Thanks for the suggestion.

I felt The Inn BoonsBoro Trilogy started her off on a nice tangent of building refurbishing that really works well.