UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I find it fascinating but I haven't much knowledge of it.

I've listen to a couple of Infinite Monkey Cage podcasts that have touched on the subject. It showed me just how little I know.

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21832 comments I tend to ask more technical questions, like what colour is the atmosphere on a world with more Sulpher dioxide than is considered sensible :-)

message 3: by T4bsF (Call me Flo) (last edited Jun 09, 2016 08:08AM) (new)

T4bsF (Call me Flo) (time4bedsaidflorence) Answer.....any colour your sense enhancement "medication" says it is!!

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21832 comments as in Lucy in the sky with diamonds

T4bsF (Call me Flo) (time4bedsaidflorence) Definitely Jim! A place where rocking horse people eat marshmallow pies!

message 6: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Dark matter is simply the 84.5% of the universe that the gods have deemed we do not have clearance to look at.

Geoff (G. Robbins) (merda constat variat altitudo) (snibborg) | 9052 comments From my understanding, and it may be incorrect, dark matter is a theoretical construct to explain the lack of matter in the universe.

Currently scientists can account for all but 27% of the universe's mass. Dark matter is invisible to all areas of the electromagnetic spectrum and there cannot be detected or measured.

There is a fascinating Wikipedia post here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_ma...

Well, it's fascinating to me and you all know I'm odd.

message 8: by ✿Claire✿ (new)

✿Claire✿ (clairelm) | 3055 comments Yes, the cosmology module was the main reason I took A Level Physics!

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I think this is the episode where they discuss dark matter, Jamie, if you fancy a listen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06z2851

message 10: by Pam (new)

Pam Baddeley | 2887 comments Came in this thread thinking of the Carl Sagan series and related book Cosmos Cosmos by Carl Sagan . Don't think it would help your quest though Jamie as it was published in 1980. The music was good too (Vangelis) Music of Cosmos

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Thanks for bumping the thread, Pam.

I mentioned it to one of the science teachers and she lent me her DVDs of

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2395695/

I may be able to have a slightly intelligent discourse after I view them.

message 12: by Pam (new)

Pam Baddeley | 2887 comments Is that an update to the original series Patti - I see it had a 2014 date on it. Carl Sagan died in 1996 sadly.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Updated, I believe. But even 2014 will be out of date, unfortunately.

Geoff (G. Robbins) (merda constat variat altitudo) (snibborg) | 9052 comments Cosmology is a fast moving target. Most programmes are probably out of date before they are shown or published.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Geoff (G. Robbins) (The noisy passionfruit) wrote: "Cosmology is a fast moving target. Most programmes are probably out of date before they are shown or published."

Thanks Geoff. Cuz my post didn't make that point.

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9070 comments Geoff (G. Robbins) (The noisy passionfruit) wrote: "Cosmology is a fast moving target. Most programmes are probably out of date before they are shown or published."

That's because of the speed of light

message 17: by Darren (new)

Darren Humphries (darrenhf) | 6980 comments Rosemary what's that coming over the hill wrote: "Geoff (G. Robbins) (The noisy passionfruit) wrote: "Cosmology is a fast moving target. Most programmes are probably out of date before they are shown or published."

That's because of the speed of light"

i do know that Bonnie Tyler can move faster than the speed of night.

Loved that original Cosmos show. Didn't understand much of it, but loved it all the same.

Also loved Sagan's novel Contact. Much more than the film, anyway.

message 18: by Jane (new)

Jane Jago Cosmology. Isn't that the in-depth study of lippy and eye-liner and mascara and the like?

*Ducks head below parapet and awaits shower of abuse*

message 19: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments I thought it had strayed from the Green Thumb thread.
We studied a bit of cosmology in a geology degree but that is now so far out of date it even makes me laugh.

message 20: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21832 comments Kath wrote: "I thought it had strayed from the Green Thumb thread.
We studied a bit of cosmology in a geology degree but that is now so far out of date it even makes me laugh."

my mother was taught physics, and she always remembers the lesson that they had which said the atom was the smallest possible particle and couldn't be divided.
Just after the bombing of Hiroshima

Geoff (G. Robbins) (merda constat variat altitudo) (snibborg) | 9052 comments Jim wrote: "my mother was taught physics, and she always remembers the lesson that they had which said the atom was the smallest possible particle and couldn't be divided.
Just after the bombing of Hiroshima "

The ultimate QED, Jim.

T4bsF (Call me Flo) (time4bedsaidflorence) Jane wrote: "Cosmology. Isn't that the in-depth study of lippy and eye-liner and mascara and the like?

*Ducks head below parapet and awaits shower of abuse*"

No silly.... it's the in depth study of one of Les Dawson's characters....... Cosmo Smallpiece!

++ also ducking beneath the parapet++