Athiest book club discussion

What made you lose your faith?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Youssef (last edited Jun 09, 2016 04:41AM) (new)

Youssef Eddarif | 3 comments I suppose a lot were brought to religion without their consent, and thought it was the true and only one, what made you drop all that casuistry?

message 2: by Justin (new)

Justin (justineaton) | 7 comments Mod
I was raised without religion. My mother will make an occasional comment about god or heaven but never used it with raising me other than comforting a small child when my pets died. I don't remember ever believing but i suppose if i did have faith to lose it was around the same time i quite believing in Santa and the tooth fairy.

message 3: by Youssef (new)

Youssef Eddarif | 3 comments You're lucky not have been brought to a conservative family and country, where people just assume that is true and shouldn't even be discussed, case closed.

I never believed the fairy stories, but I didn't drop the whole thing until 3 or 2 years ago.

message 4: by Justin (new)

Yea i do think i am lucky to have been raised the way i was, the majority of the area i live in is Christian, and the percentage is high enough that anyone openly athiest does get shunned by a majority of the population but it definitly could have been a lot worse. Unfortunately i can see it getting worse in this country, with new legislation being based around Christianity and some states recently changing their schools textbooks to include biblical stories, or including biblical figures into real history. Texas recently changed their textbooks to teach that Moses was one of the countries founding fathers. It's scary.

message 5: by Justin (new)

So whats your story Youssef? Where are you from? What's the major religion, and how did you overcome it?

message 6: by Youssef (new)

Youssef Eddarif | 3 comments Believe me you're lucky the constitution in USA is secular and doesn't include the name of god at all. I would rather be happy get shunned by a majority of the population, since I already hate stupid conversations.
I'm from a Muslim background which means Apostasy is equal to death, however I'm openly Atheist and Anti-theist. In Ramadan's time if I'm caught eating public I'll be thrown in jail for at least 3 months. So yeah you are really lucky.