Our Shared Shelf discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Just a few jewels I found

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robin (new)

Robin | 3 comments I was searching the internet for some great feminist books and I found the following jewels in the list made by Renée Römkens who is a feminist in the Netherlands and founded Atria which is the Dutch national institute on gender equality and women's history (Amsterdam).

1. Simone de Beauvoir, Le deuxième sexe (1949)
2. Marie NDiaye, Trois femmes puissantes (2009)
3. Andreas Burnier, Jongens, poëzie en het gezelschap van geleerde vrouwen (1974)
4. Toni Morrison, The Bluest Eye (1970)
5. Siri Hustvedt, The Blazing World (2014)

I'm not sure if you will be able to find these books in your own languages but If you can maybe give them a shot :)

This is the original list ; https://www.groene.nl/artikel/de-vijf... ( It's in Dutch so you would have to translate)

message 2: by Melis (new)

Melis | 10 comments Thank you for recommendations Robin!

I personally believe that Le Deuxieme Sexe is a must-read if you want to learn more about feminism!

message 3: by Agustin (new)

Agustin | 223 comments I am planning to read ""Hidden Girl: The True Story of a Modern-day Child Slave" by Shyima Hall. I believe it would be a good book to discuss on ths thread and you might like it, at east if you're a feminist.

message 4: by Katelyn, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Katelyn (katelynrh) | 836 comments Mod
Hi Robin,

Thanks for the recommendations. In the interest of organization, we do not allow individual threads for book suggestions. You can suggest these books for the group by following the directions here: How to Suggest a Book
Additionally, you can suggest them in relevant book lists in the book suggestion folder. Those lists are based on subject matter, genre, etc. You can start your own list if you don't see one for a particular subject or genre already, but please check first, as we will remove duplicate threads. This is all in the interest of keeping our book suggestions organized, which helps us to make Our Shared Shelf a navigable community despite its size. Thanks for your help in this!

Locked and Archived

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.