Our Shared Shelf discussion

Book Suggestions > Female Autistic Protagonists

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Quentin (new)

Quentin Zero We all know The Curious Incident of the Dog at Night Time and Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close. Are there also books with young female autist protagonists?

message 2: by Sam (new)

Sam Daab (scstadlman) | 2 comments Thinking in Pictures by Temple Grandin is a fantastic book about a woman who is on the autism spectrum. It's not fiction, but a true account of her life and experiences and revolutionary inventions. Temple Grandin has written many books (I'm looking forward to reading Animals in Translation) and has also done some wonderful TED talks as well.

message 3: by Quentin (new)

Quentin Zero Sam wrote: "Thinking in Pictures by Temple Grandin is a fantastic book about a woman who is on the autism spectrum. It's not fiction, but a true account of her life and experiences and revolutionary inventions..." thx! I'll add it to "to read" also never too much TED talks amirite

message 4: by Alia (new)

Alia Hermione in Methods of Rationality, Lisbeth in The Millennium Trilogy, possibly Bella in Twilight.

message 5: by Dani (new)

Dani Mockingbird features a young autistic girl coping with death of a sibling. It's decent, ya book.

message 6: by Nenda (new)

Nenda | 5 comments Bernadette in Where'd You Go, Bernadette might be high functioning autism with her quirk and singularity although later she becomes an agoraphobic.

message 7: by Quentin (new)

Quentin Zero Alia wrote: "Hermione in Methods of Rationality, Lisbeth in The Millennium Trilogy, possibly Bella in Twilight."

Is that Mockingbird from the Hunger Games serie? As in Catniss Everdeen?

message 8: by Alia (new)

Alia Mockingjay* And no, I would not characterize her as autistic. Bit oblivious, perhaps, but she doesn't seem to be written as autistic.

Another character, if not main character, is Helen Burns from Jane Eyre.

message 9: by Alia (new)

Alia And judging by her tv counterpart, Temperance Brennan from the crime novels by Kathy Reichs.

message 10: by Dani (new)

Dani No. I'm speaking of a different book called mockingbird. It's not the one you're thinking of as in Mockingjay (that's hunger games)
The one I'm thinking of and suggesting Is:
MOCKINGBIRD written by Kathryn Erskine

You're welcome.

message 11: by Dani (new)

Dani My suggested list featuring autistic females:

Mockingbird- Kathryn Erskine
Carly's Voice- Carly Fleishman
Lucy's Story: Autism and Other Adventures- Lucy Blackman
Songs of the Gorilla Nation- Dawn Prince- Hughes
Pretending to be Normal: Living with Asperger Syndrome- Liane Holliday-Willey

message 12: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 5 comments Have you read Gennifer Choldenko's books? The Al Capone series. I only read the first one. These are middle reader books. However, the protagonist is a neurotypical boy who has a severely autistic older sister.

message 13: by A. (new)

A. S. | 2 comments Aphrodisiac for an Angel by Thomas Timmins has an autistic protagonist, though she does mention she hates the label.

message 14: by The Fae Louise (new)

The Fae Louise (the_land_of_fae) | 2 comments Rogue by Lynn Miller-Lachmann
The State of Grace by Rachael Lucas

message 15: by Kate (new)

Kate (kbirch) Ioana wrote: "Sorry I just discovered this topic but I'm very interested in it. temperance brennan is actually not exactly authistic. I'm quite sure she has Asperger's syndrome. And Carrie Brownstein, the singer..."

Asperger's Syndrome is under the umbrella of Autism Spectrum Disorders, although no longer formally recognized by the DSM-V. Yes it is more formally diagnosed in boys, however it presents different in females which could be why it appears there are more males. It is not a disease!!! Did you mean that you have Asperger's? It is unclear by your post, but I just wanted to clarify these points

message 16: by Mary-Helen (new)

Mary-Helen (mpchaplin) Piece of Mind by Michelle Adelman is a traumatic brain injury sufferer but there may be some similarities as she is often overwhelmed