Green Group discussion

News and Current Events > Say no to the Vessel Incidental Discharge Act

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Zwilling | 1952 comments "Environmental groups have been fighting for years to keep ships from dumping additional alien plants, fish, viruses and bacteria into the lakes when they empty water from their ballast tanks.

"Last year, the environmentalists won an important victory when a federal court ruled the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s rules had not been strict enough.

To get around that court decision, lawmakers slipped the Vessel Incidental Discharge Act into the National Defense Authorization Act, knowing it’s virtually impossible for Congress to vote against money for defense or for the White House to veto it. The provision would shift oversight of ballast water from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to the U.S. Coast Guard, effectively negating the court decision. It would prevent states from adopting new laws and also would get ship operators out from under the Clean Water Act."

Email your representatives and tell them to take the provision out of the National Defense Authorization Act.

You could also ask them to remove anything else that doesn't belong in the bill.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/opinion/l...

message 2: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy | 1572 comments Mod
Thanks for that information, Robert.

message 3: by Jan (new)

Jan Greene (jankg) | 187 comments Robert wrote: ""Environmental groups have been fighting for years to keep ships from dumping additional alien plants, fish, viruses and bacteria into the lakes when they empty water from their ballast tanks.

"La..."

Robert, Thank you so much for posting this. I will put it on my Facebook book page as well as spreading the word around to my "environmental network."
Best regards,
Jan