Read for the Win with Alpha Park Library! discussion

Books Made Into Movies

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Rhea | 7 comments ME BEFORE YOU ...... I haven't seen the movie version of "Me Before You" by Jojo Moyes, but the book was amazing and I would recommend it first. I really didn't think I'd like this book, but I completely fell in love with the characters. They were written to be real and it worked. That alone is a good discussion topic, but there's also the right to life issue as well as the disability discrimination issues. Once you get going, the characters will hook you and you'll just have to find out how it ends. Book two "Me After You" is now out and recommended.

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Jacobsen-Wood (jenjw4) | 19 comments I will have to check it out. (Literally, LOL)

I saw the movie "Love and Friendship" last weekend. It is based upon a Jane Austen novella and stars Kate Beckinsale. It was excellent.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3068194/

message 3: by Georgia (new)

Georgia Brignall Mason | 27 comments A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks. It is so good. I actually prefer the movie a bit. It is a little more modern and I thought the actors did a great job. It stars Mandy Moore and Shane West. It was released quite a few years but is the ultimate tearjerker. I actually believe it is one of his best book to movie.

message 4: by Allison (last edited Jun 14, 2016 03:09PM) (new)

Allison | 19 comments Georgia wrote: "A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks. It is so good. I actually prefer the movie a bit. It is a little more modern and I thought the actors did a great job. It stars Mandy Moore and Shane West. It..."

I can't watch it. I cry too much :P I do recommend both the movie and book for Where the Heart Is. Not my typical thing but one of my favs anyway

message 5: by L57 (new)

L57 | 12 comments I'm working on watching The Lord of the Rings right now (such a good adaptation); it's really making me crave the book.

Minus the bit with Tom Bombadil, of course. I HATE that part with the fire of a thousand suns. It's annoying and completely unnecessary.

message 6: by L57 (new)

L57 | 12 comments I would NOT recommend the book "Pay it Forward." I felt that the movie was superior. I know. A rarity, but I stand by that sentiment.

message 7: by Allison (new)

Allison | 19 comments L57 wrote: "I'm working on watching The Lord of the Rings right now (such a good adaptation); it's really making me crave the book.

Minus the bit with Tom Bombadil, of course. I HATE that part with the fire o..."

Lord of the Rings is one of the few movies I actually prefer to the books... Tolkien has such a great story in there but it's really hard to pick out through his descriptions, but the movies do a good job of telling it. For example: I love the romance between Arwen and Aragorn, but in the books its only told in a couple pages of the appendices.

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Jacobsen-Wood (jenjw4) | 19 comments Can I call myself a librarian when I've never read LOTR (or watched the movies!)

message 9: by Georgia (new)

Georgia Brignall Mason | 27 comments Allison wrote: "Georgia wrote: "A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks. It is so good. I actually prefer the movie a bit. It is a little more modern and I thought the actors did a great job. It stars Mandy Moore an..."

I love Where the Heart is or otherwise known as the book about the Walmart baby...

message 10: by Allison (new)

Allison | 19 comments For those of us who are YA fans... I just found out that movie adaptation of The Selection by Kiera Cass officially has a director so it might actually happen!!! In fact it's the director of Me Before You, Thea Sharrock.

message 11: by William (new)

William | 4 comments Allison wrote: "For those of us who are YA fans... I just found out that movie adaptation of The Selection by Kiera Cass officially has a director so it might actually happen!!! In fact it's the director of Me Bef..."

THIS IS THE GREATEST MOMENT OF MY LIFE!

message 12: by L57 (new)

L57 | 12 comments Jennifer wrote: "Can I call myself a librarian when I've never read LOTR (or watched the movies!)"

I think you can, but you're really missing out on something special. Granted, the books can be a challenge to get through. However, they are 100% worth trying. But if you can't do it, I would at the very least watch the movies.

message 13: by Georgia (new)

Georgia Brignall Mason | 27 comments Jennifer wrote: "Can I call myself a librarian when I've never read LOTR (or watched the movies!)"

I haven't either. I just never really felt like it. Maybe someday.

message 14: by Georgia (new)

Georgia Brignall Mason | 27 comments William wrote: "Allison wrote: "For those of us who are YA fans... I just found out that movie adaptation of The Selection by Kiera Cass officially has a director so it might actually happen!!! In fact it's the di..."

I've never heard about it. What is it about?

message 15: by William (new)

William | 4 comments The selection series is a YA, dystopian series. Its a series of 5 books, fifth one just came out, that is a cross between the bachelor and the hunger games without any blood/violence.

It is definitely a guilty pleasure of mine

message 16: by Allison (new)

Allison | 19 comments William wrote: "The selection series is a YA, dystopian series. Its a series of 5 books, fifth one just came out, that is a cross between the bachelor and the hunger games without any blood/violence.

It is defin..."

Yeah that about sums it up!

message 17: by Georgia (new)

Georgia Brignall Mason | 27 comments I will definitely try it

message 18: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Rhea | 7 comments Jennifer wrote: "Can I call myself a librarian when I've never read LOTR (or watched the movies!)"

Yes. Yes you can! I have tried to watch the movies and cannot stay awake!!

message 19: by Marla (new)

Marla | 5 comments Yes you can! I am a Fantasy, Paranormal nut and altho its well written, characters are defined and edgy, to me it is nap worthy. The movies were ok. The Ents are my personal fav, that's it.
Sorry fans, different strokes for different folks