100 Books Challenge discussion

Exodus
This topic is about Exodus
Past Group Reads - 2015-2016 > 2016 Group Read - June & July - Exodus

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Martha (marthas48) | 860 comments Mod
This folder is for discussion of the book Exodus by Leon Uris. Discussion will officially begin on June 20 & we will allow 2 months for the reading of this long book.

I am a fan of Uris' work. I read this one in high school & loved it. Looking forward to reading it again. Hope I can find my copy. I've recently read QB VII & Armageddon. Both are good ... a little dated in some ways, but accurate for the times and doesn't distract from the stories.

message 2: by Book Concierge (last edited Jun 17, 2016 08:45AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 414 comments I'm glad we're doing this one over two months ... having a hard time getting to it. I'm just over-extended ...

I've never read this one, though I have read other books by Uris and enjoyed them.

I haven't looked for my copy. I remember buying a used hardback years ago. I think it is with the books in my son's living room that I've never moved out of there. He gently reminds me occasionally that he could use the shelf space for his huge collection of video games. LOL
I don't go in there much because it's 2 steps down and my pain has been awful lately. I am ready for surgery. I want to be able to walk better again. Anyway ... I'll look for it next week. Have a library book I really need to finish this weekend. :-)

I still haven't found my copy. I may break down and buy a copy for my KIndle ... it's less than $7.00 & much easier to hold or carry around. LOL

I hope this works. Am doing this on my phone. Just a little info from Wikipedia.

Exodusuris.jpg
First edition
Author Leon Uris
Country United States
Language English
Genre Historical fiction
Publisher Doubleday & Company
Publication date
Media type Print (Hardcover)
Pages 626 pages
Exodus is an historical novel by American novelist Leon Uris about the founding of the State of Israel. Published in 1958, it begins with a compressed retelling of the voyages of the 1947 immigration ship Exodus.

Uris covered the Arab–Israeli fighting as a war correspondent in 1956; two years later, Exodus was published by Doubleday. Exodus became an international publishing phenomenon, the biggest bestseller in the United States since Gone with the Wind (1936).[1] The book remained number one on the New York Times bestseller list for eight months after its release,[2] and initiated a new sympathy for the newly established State of Israel.[3]

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 414 comments I don't have an e-reader so I'm stuck with hauling around a 600+ page book! My library doesn't carry it as audiobook either (which is how I usually tackle big books).

I can get it free through Amazon prime. Have to finish the one I've borrowed first, but I'll start Exodus as soon as I can.

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 193 comments I have exodus on hold. Hope I get it before everyone has finished it. :)

Where has the time gone? I'm still reading this. Is anyone else? I'm enjoying what I've read so far. Much more detailed than the movie it seems which is why books are usually better, isn't it?

Anyway, I'll put up a thread for nominations for our next read if anyone is interested.

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 193 comments I got it and completed it in about 2-3 days. I loved it. :) It caused me to want to find the movie and watch it to see if it is as good

I saw the movie a year or so ago. It's good, but I don't remember it being as good as the book. Of course, it's been years so I have no clear memories of the book ... just the feeling. LOL
So glad you loved it.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 414 comments I am FINALLY going to get this book! I've put a hold on it at the library. Of course, that means our "big" book for Feb/March will have to wait .... story of my life.

I usually don't get big ones from the library as I take so long to read them. Have trouble holding them.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 414 comments Just started this on Sunday (Jan 29) and I'm at "book two" now ... I really wish I knew more of the history of this time period. I've been asking my husband questions and now he's decided to read the book once I'm done with it.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 414 comments I've slowed down ... but I've passed the half-way mark. I was talking to my husband about it and he wants to read it next, so I'd better get crackin'!

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 414 comments Try as I might, it seems that the most I read each day is about 40 pages. I feel like it's taking forever.

Also really noticing how anti-Arab and anti-British it is.

I was surprised at the attitude of the British as portrayed in this book. I'd like to read some history from this time period. Very interesting.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 414 comments Only 65 pages to go ... but I've got book club tonight, so it'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 414 comments  Exodus  by Leon Uris
Exodus – Leon Uris – 3.5***
This is an epic novel covering the history of the Jewish people’s efforts to return to Palestine and form an independent state. I felt that Uris couldn’t make up his mind whether he was writing an epic romance, a war novel or a history of the formation of Israel. It certainly made me think. And I’m glad I finally read this novel.
LINK to my review