The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2016 > 25.11 - Amanda A's task as suggested by Karen Michele: Visit the Centre Pompidou

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Jun 09, 2016 03:06PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10801 comments Mod
25.11 - Amanda A's task as suggested by Karen Michele: Visit the Centre Pompidou

The Centre Pompidou has one of the world’s largest collections of contemporary and abstract art. It is located in Paris, France and I have been fortunate enough to visit the museum twice. I hope to go back someday, but for now please join me on a virtual visit with books!

The museum has six floors to explore and they are full of collections dating from 1905 to the present day. Here’s a link to the museum site: Centre Pompidou

This is a TWO book task. Please choose one book from two different options.

Required: State which two options you chose when you post.

NOTE: Sequential Art, Comics, Comic Book, or Manga may be used provided the general SRC guidelines are met.

I'd like to send out a special thank you to Amanda A for passing her chance to write a task on to me!

First Floor: You’re in Paris!
Read a book set at least 50% of the time in Paris.
Required: If the book's metadata or description do not make it obvious, explain how your book fits the task when you post.

Second Floor: You’re surrounded by great art!
Read a book about an art crime (for example: fraud, forgery, and/or theft). These lists might give you some ideas: Art Crime; Art Fraud and Theft
Required: If the book's metadata or description do not make it obvious, explain how your book fits the task when you post.

Third Floor: You can see collections of all kinds of modern art.
Read a collection of short stories or essays. This may be a single author collection or an anthology that includes many authors. There must be at least five stories/essays in the collection.
Required: If the number of short stories/essays is not indicated in the book's description on GRs, provide a list of at least 5 stories contained within the collection.

Fourth Floor: What a visual treat!
Read an illuminated novel or a graphic novel. These lists might give you some ideas: Illuminated Novels; Illuminated Novels. Beware, not all the books on these list fit the rules of the SRC. Choose wisely.

Fifth Floor: A Poor Art - see the summer 2016 special exhibit.
(Disclaimer - I don't know if this is really on the fifth floor)
About the exhibit: With "A poor art", multidisciplinary and innovative event, the Centre Pompidou proposes to examine artistic practices tied to the question of "poor" in the creation in the 1960s: in the visual arts, with the eminence of current Arte Povera, in the field of music, design, architecture, theater, performance and experimental film. Mindful of the traces, the reliefs, the most basic manifestations of life, artists of Arte Povera and more broadly of "poor art" claiming archaic gestures. This event builds on all components of the Centre Pompidou, the richness and breadth of his collection that preserves one of the sets Arte Povera the largest in the world. It traces the decade 1964-1974, as well as notable year 1960 and later a few exceptions. (Description from the Centre Pompidou site)

Read a book first published in the years 1960 to 1974, inclusive.

Sixth Floor: Eat at the restaurant and relax.
Read a book about a restaurant and/or a chef. This list might give you some ideas: Restaurant Reads

message 2: by Karen Michele (last edited Jul 16, 2016 10:28AM) (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1650 comments I'd like to thank the AMMP Group and especially the creators of The Museum of Oddities challenge for the inspiration to use the floors of a museum for this task!

Approved:

First Floor
Gemma Bovery by Posy Simmonds

Second Floor
Sharpe & Donovan Series
Saint's Gate (Sharpe & Donovan, #1) by Carla Neggers Chasing Mona Lisa by Tricia Goyer Chasing Cezanne by Peter Mayle

Third Floor
The Devil's Larder by Jim Crace A Contract With God and Other Tenement Stories by Will Eisner (if there are at least 5 stories)

Fourth Floor
Sweet Tooth, Vol. 2 In Captivity by Jeff Lemire A Contract With God and Other Tenement Stories by Will Eisner Troublemaker (Alex Barnaby #3) by Janet Evanovich

Fifth Floor

Sixth Floor
White House Chef Mystery Series
State of the Onion (A White House Chef Mystery, #1) by Julie Hyzy Tough Cookie (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #9) by Diane Mott Davidson

message 3: by Karen Michele (last edited Jun 09, 2016 03:28PM) (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1650 comments Sorry ------ Rejected

message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10801 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily | 644 comments For clarification: for the Fourth Floor option, are you considering anything with the genre "Graphic Novel" to be considered a Graphic Novel?

It's a technicality, I suppose, but I just want to know if you're including a collection of comics - something like Fell, Volume 1: Feral City a Graphic Novel, or sticking to the more literal definitions - something like A History of Violence.

message 6: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1650 comments Boston Kate wrote: "For clarification: for the Fourth Floor option, are you considering anything with the genre "Graphic Novel" to be considered a Graphic Novel?

It's a technicality, I suppose, but I just want to kn..."

Yes, all forms of sequential art will be accepted for the Fourth Floor option.

message 7: by Emily (new)

Emily | 644 comments Karen Michele wrote: "Boston Kate wrote: "For clarification: for the Fourth Floor option, are you considering anything with the genre "Graphic Novel" to be considered a Graphic Novel?

It's a technicality, I suppose, b..."

Excellent. :) Thanks for the fast response.

message 8: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2437 comments Are the White House Chef books okay for option 6?
https://www.goodreads.com/series/5271...

message 9: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7517 comments for second floor - does Heron's Cove work - in the first one, they investigated a murder tied to a missing picture and this one seems similar...

message 10: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1650 comments Trish wrote: "Are the White House Chef books okay for option 6?
https://www.goodreads.com/series/5271..."

Yes, that works and it looks great! Have you read any of the series?

message 11: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1650 comments Dee wrote: "for second floor - does Heron's Cove work - in the first one, they investigated a murder tied to a missing picture and this one seems similar..."

Yes, since the MC is in the art crimes division and is contacted about this collection it will work. I think this series might just jump on my TBR as well!

message 12: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments For the third floor, may I use The Devil's Larder?

Thanks.

message 13: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1650 comments Donna Jo wrote: "For the third floor, may I use The Devil's Larder?

Thanks."

Yes, that works.

message 14: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Galloway | 700 comments May I use this for #6
Delicious

message 15: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1650 comments Cathy wrote: "May I use this for #6
Delicious"

Yes, that fits.

message 16: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 780 comments Would you accept Tough Cookie for Opt 6?

message 17: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1650 comments KSMary wrote: "Would you accept Tough Cookie for Opt 6?"

Yes, I would.

message 18: by Amanda A (new)

Amanda A (carolinabookworm) | 614 comments Great task, Karen Michele!

message 19: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1650 comments Amanda A wrote: "Great task, Karen Michele!"

Thank you Amanda and I really appreciate the chance to write it!

message 20: by Wanda (last edited Jun 13, 2016 08:10PM) (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1668 comments Sorry mistake no post.

message 21: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2437 comments Karen Michele wrote: "Trish wrote: "Are the White House Chef books okay for option 6?
https://www.goodreads.com/series/5271..."

Yes, that works and it looks great! Have you read any of the series."

I've read and enjoyed the first three.

message 22: by Sue (new)

Sue (suetinge) | 1488 comments Can I use Chasing Mona Lisa for option 2?

message 23: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1650 comments Sue T wrote: "Can I use Chasing Mona Lisa for option 2?"

Yes, it works and on to my toppling TBR it goes!

message 24: by Sue (new)

Sue (suetinge) | 1488 comments Thanks!

message 25: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3612 comments Please approve for SECOND FLOOR -
Chasing Cezanne by Peter Mayle
The book description mentions: And in no time he's on the trail of a state-of-the-art art scam, chasing Cézanne.

message 26: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1650 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Please approve for SECOND FLOOR -
Chasing Cezanne by Peter Mayle
The book description mentions: And in no time he's on the trail of a state-of-the-art art scam, chasing Cézanne."

Sure, this one is approved.

message 27: by BellaGBear (new)

BellaGBear | 261 comments For the third floor, is this one allowed? (A Contract With God and Other Tenement StoriesMainly the genre)

an d this one for the fourth flour, illuminated novels because it's a graphic novel? Or this one Sweet Tooth, Vol. 2: In Captivity

message 28: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1650 comments Bellagbear wrote: "For the third floor, is this one allowed? (A Contract With God and Other Tenement StoriesMainly the genre)

an d this one for the fourth flour, illuminated novels because it's a grap..."

Both of the books work for the fourth floor because it's illuminated books or sequential art. The Eisner will work for short stories, third floor, if there are at least five separate stories. Enjoy!

message 29: by BellaGBear (new)

BellaGBear | 261 comments Karen Michele wrote: "Bellagbear wrote: "For the third floor, is this one allowed? (A Contract With God and Other Tenement StoriesMainly the genre)

an d this one for the fourth flour, illuminated novels ..."

ok thanks :)

message 30: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1668 comments Seeking approval for Troublemaker as graphic novel for Option 4

message 31: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1668 comments Still seeking approval for Troublemaker as graphic novel for Option 4

Thanks

message 32: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1650 comments Wanda wrote: "Still seeking approval for Troublemaker as graphic novel for Option 4

Thanks"

Yes, it's approved. I'm so sorry to be so late responding! Somehow I missed that first request.

message 33: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1668 comments No problem just wanted to make sure before I began reading. Thanks for getting back to me.

message 34: by BellaGBear (new)

BellaGBear | 261 comments hello,

nice task :) For option 1, is it clear enough with the goodreads desciption that this one: Gemma Bovery set for at least 50% in France?

Thanks in advance :)

message 35: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1650 comments Bellagbear wrote: "hello,

nice task :) For option 1, is it clear enough with the goodreads desciption that this one: Gemma Bovery set for at least 50% in France?

Thanks in advance :)"

Yes, that works for set in France. It looks like a good one, too!

message 36: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ebpnd17) | 704 comments Hi! I was wondering if Already Home would work for the sixth floor? It appears to me that the main character is a chef at the beginning of the book and goes on to open a cooking store, but as I haven't read it yet I'm not sure. Does she have to stay a chef the whole time? Just wanted to double check!

Thanks!

message 37: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1650 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Hi! I was wondering if Already Home would work for the sixth floor? It appears to me that the main character is a chef at the beginning of the book and goes on to open a cooking stor..."

This looks fine. I think the cooking store will still have enough connection to her experience as a chef. Enjoy!

message 38: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindyd) | 256 comments Will this work for the third floor? It is a collection of essays.

Hidden Stories of the First World War Hidden Stories of the First World War by Jackie Storer