Koontzland - Dean Koontz discussion

The Funhouse
This topic is about The Funhouse
Stand Alone Novels 1980-1985 > The Funhouse (Group Read - July 2016)

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 6034 comments Mod
The Funhouse will be featured as our July Group Read (in addition to Saint Odd). Please consider reading or re-reading this Dean Koontz title with us. The Funhouse is available as an audiobook as well.

Reminder: The Funhouse is our July Group Read.
Who is planning to read this book in July?

Charissa Wilkinson (lilmizflashythang) | 247 comments Not me, busy with important projects. The mom was pretty creepy though.

Charissa wrote: "Not me, busy with important projects. The mom was pretty creepy though."

Thanks Charissa :-) I'll be re-reading this one sometime this month.

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 884 comments I started this book at the beginning of the month but now I forget what I read and have to re-read. That's unusual for me for a Koontz read; once I begin I usually have a hard time putting it down.

Karen B. wrote: "I started this book at the beginning of the month but now I forget what I read and have to re-read. That's unusual for me for a Koontz read; once I begin I usually have a hard time putting it down."

Thanks Karen. I will try to fit The Funhouse into my reading soon :-) It's pretty short.

I own both a paperback & an audiobook of The Funhouse. I've just been giving the items I have borrowed from the library priority because I have them for a limited time.

I'm still waiting for an audiobook of Darkfall from the library (June's Group Read) - still plan to give it a re-read.

message 7: by Michael (new)

Michael (dashripr0ck) | 1 comments I read this book already but will re-read it. This is my first group. I hope I am doing this correctly.

The Funhouse

Michael wrote: "I read this book already but will re-read it. This is my first group. I hope I am doing this correctly.

The Funhouse"

Thanks Michael. I am still planning on reading The Funhouse soon. I am a bit behind on the group reads. I wasn't able to get Darkfall from the library, but I own The Funhouse.

The Funhouse was our July Group Read. 77 Shadow Street is our August Group Read. You can join the discussions anytime & participate any way you want to.

message 9: by Diane Lynch (new) - added it

Diane Lynch (dianedesmarrstlynch) | 477 comments I'll be starting Fun House next week. Running about 2 months behind in life in general

Diane Lynch wrote: "I'll be starting Fun House next week. Running about 2 months behind in life in general"

Great! I'll join you :-)

I started reading The Funhouse today!

In the prologue, I wasn't sure if Ellen was disillusioned or if the baby was really a monster. Later we learn the horrifying truths of both.

If you enjoyed The Funhouse, you might also enjoy Twilight Eyes by Dean Koontz :-)

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 884 comments I had a similar confusion and went back and restarted reading the book and that helped.

"Sick and Twisted"

Some interesting thoughts about family - how traits or disorders are passed down through generations. I believe we all carry parts of the past with us and cycles will continue to some degree unless one person steps up to break the cycle (good or bad).

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 884 comments I agree about cycles. I am seeing the cycles repeated. I think before now some of those things were kept secret and so we didn't know that something in one generation was a part of a cycle.

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 884 comments You mentioned in your review about marriages and the carousel. I liked that part too and wondered if that was unique to the book or is something they really do.

Karen B. wrote: "I agree about cycles. I am seeing the cycles repeated. I think before now some of those things were kept secret and so we didn't know that something in one generation was a part of a cycle."

Yes. I have noticed that in my own family history. I have done research and found things - that is how I have learned.

Karen B. wrote: "You mentioned in your review about marriages and the carousel. I liked that part too and wondered if that was unique to the book or is something they really do."

Good Question. I tried to look it up but I didn't find out any information on Carnival Marriages & Divorces via Carousel.
I found out about a Walt Disney Carousel:
http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume...
and I found a couple who met at age 3 and recreated a carousel photo for their save a date 27 years later :-)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08...

There is also a wedding planner named Carousel. I think I've learned enough about carousels for one day.

I am really enjoying The Funhouse. I might even increase my rating to 5 stars because it's really creepy good fun. I will probably finish the book tomorrow.

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 884 comments As for the carousel wedding/divorce I found it mentioned in a list of carny terms. http://www.goodmagic.com/carny/car_a-...

you have to scroll down a bit and choose
"carny lingo"

Thanks Karen :-)

With your help this thread has had more activity than the previous Funhouse Discussion Thread which hasn't happened much recently - there used to be more participation.

"To Hell With It" Ha Ha :-)

Carny Marriage — Carnies are an unromantic lot, as a rule. According to others, as a sign that a couple intends to be monogamous (or relatively so) for a while, thus keeping the individuals (more or less) from straying and from unwanted romantic advances, they may engage in a carny marriage. The sign that they are "married" in the eyes of their fellows is a ride once around on the carousel or ferris wheel; a divorce is less formal, sometimes with a ride turning in the other direction, but more often at the end of the season or when both parties just say "to hell with it."

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 884 comments I think there is lower participation lately because most of us have read his books and don't care for re-reading books. Me ... Dean Koontz and Harry Potter books. Always up for a re-read.

Karen B. wrote: "I think there is lower participation lately because most of us have read his books and don't care for re-reading books. Me ... Dean Koontz and Harry Potter books. Always up for a re-read."

That's okay :-) Mr. Koontz doesn't seem to be releasing books as quickly as he once was. I don't know of a 2016 release at all. The next book currently slated is Ivy Elgin:
https://www.fantasticfiction.com/k/de...

Karen B. wrote: "I think there is lower participation lately because most of us have read his books and don't care for re-reading books. Me ... Dean Koontz and Harry Potter books. Always up for a re-read."

Since Dean has been such a prolific writer, I don't mind re-reading :-)

I have been thinking of re-reading Harry Potter. I have only read them once. How many times have you read them?

FYI: Our scheduled Group Reads for the next 5 months will be The Frankenstein Series.

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 884 comments Dustin, I really don't know how many times I've read the Harry Potter books. When I was still working I made it a thing to re-read all the books each summer. I re-read them more times than I've re-read Koontz only because Koontz IS such a prolific writer and there are so many of his books out there.