Amnesty International BookClub discussion

Lives of Girls and Women
This topic is about Lives of Girls and Women
June 2016 - The Lives of Girls and Women by Alice Munro

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amnesty (last edited Jun 18, 2016 01:20PM) (new) - added it

Amnesty Bookclub | 222 comments Mod
Alice Munro's 1971 book is a departure from her other works, being a novel as opposed to the short stories that garnered her the Nobel Prize in Literature.

Have you read this coming-of-age story of Del Jordan? What did you think? Does the book transcend time and place?

Check out the discussion guide for more background, but also on a case to take action on regarding girls abducted by Boko Haram.

http://www.amnestybookclub.ca/wp-cont...

Thanks for joining us here!

Laura (bookwomanmf) | 5 comments I have read this wonderful book - and I am really excited to read this again. Great selection.

message 3: by Amnesty (last edited Jun 18, 2016 01:16PM) (new) - added it

Laura wrote: "I have read this wonderful book - and I am really excited to read this again. Great selection."

I'm glad you enjoyed it the first time- it was selected by author Anne Giardini for the book club. It would be interesting to hear when you first read it and whether the issues from the book still resonate today.

message 4: by Louise (new)

Louise | 15 comments My sister gave me this book when I was about 12 years old. I loved it then, and loved it when I read it again a few years ago.

message 5: by Amnesty (new) - added it

Louise wrote: "My sister gave me this book when I was about 12 years old. I loved it then, and loved it when I read it again a few years ago."

That's great- it can be taking a risk (reading wise, anyway) to re-read a book you loved! Did you find that it held up over time, especially with regards to what women's lives? Or girls?

message 6: by Louise (new)

Louise | 15 comments It takes place at a certain time, in a certain place, one which I can related to, having grown up on a farm in eastern ontario. So for me, yes, it did hold up. I love all of Munro's books for that reason, putting me in a place I'm familiar with.