The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2016 > 20.9 - Moderator's Pet - Wendy UK's task: Celebrate Norwich!

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Jun 10, 2016 04:33PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10915 comments Mod
20.9 - Moderator's Pet - Wendy UK's task: Celebrate Norwich!

I live near Norwich, UK. In 1970 Malcolm Bradbury and Angus Wilson established the UK's first MA in Creative writing at the University of East Anglia in Norwich.

Here are ten of the UEA's well-known alumni:
Trezza Azzopardi (MA 1998), Tracy Chevalier (MA 1994), Anne Enright (MA 1987), Kazuo Ishiguro (MA 1980), Wendy Jones (MA 2000), Toby Litt (MA 1995), Ian McEwan (MA 1971), Monique Roffey (BA1987), Rose Tremain (BA 1967), Christie Watson (MA 2008).

This is a ONE book task. Read a book by one of the above listed authors, OR choose another author from this list of UEA Creative Writing Alumni. Make sure your choice meets all SRC requirements. All books must be written by a single author.

Alternate link: UEA Creative Writing Course Notable Alumni

message 2: by Wendy UK (new)

Wendy  UK (wendyuk) | 756 comments Reserved

message 3: by Wendy UK (last edited Jun 10, 2016 12:20PM) (new)

message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10915 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 887 comments Yay! Perfect place to slot Never Let Me Go. Thanks, Wendy!

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2975 comments Tatiana De Rosney is on the list too.

message 7: by Wendy UK (new)

Wendy  UK (wendyuk) | 756 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Tatiana De Rosney is on the list too."

Yes there are plenty to choose from. I just listed ten as a starting point in case people didn't feel like reading through the whole list.

message 8: by Daphne (new)

Daphne (daphnesm) | 486 comments Checking on Dead Boy Detectives, Vol. 1: Schoolboy Terrors by Toby Litt. The author is on the list, but it is a graphic novel.

message 9: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7584 comments is there anyway to get the list posted? i'm having issues access the site (and i've tried 2 different browsers)

message 10: by Wendy UK (new)

Wendy  UK (wendyuk) | 756 comments Daphne wrote: "Checking on Dead Boy Detectives, Vol. 1: Schoolboy Terrors by Toby Litt. The author is on the list, but it is a graphic novel."

It's described as being 'Co-written by novelist Toby Litt and Mark Buckingham.'

As the illustrations are key to a graphic novel I don't feel it really meets the single author requirement.
Sorry!

message 11: by Wendy UK (new)

Wendy  UK (wendyuk) | 756 comments Dee wrote: "is there anyway to get the list posted? i'm having issues access the site (and i've tried 2 different browsers)"

It's a very long list, which is why I picked out a few examples from it. I don't know why you can't access the site - the link works ok for me. I've messaged Kristina to see if she has any thoughts. She did change the link for me - I wonder if you were trying to access it just as she was working on it and that caused your issues?

message 12: by Terri FL (new)

Terri FL (territhemuse) | 527 comments Almost 90 of them are listed on this wikipedia article - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEA_Cre.... I don't know how complete that is, but, I was at least able to find 2 books I had at home by 2 of the authors (verified on the real UEA site) - Skippy Dies by Paul Murray and The Lady of Misrule: A Novel by Suzannah Dunn.

message 13: by Wendy UK (last edited Jun 10, 2016 02:09PM) (new)

Wendy  UK (wendyuk) | 756 comments Terri FL wrote: "Almost 90 of them are listed on this wikipedia article - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEA_Cre.... I don't know how complete that is, but, I was at least able to find 2 books I had..."

Thanks for that link Terri

message 14: by Wendy UK (new)

Wendy  UK (wendyuk) | 756 comments Dee wrote: "is there anyway to get the list posted? i'm having issues access the site (and i've tried 2 different browsers)"

Terri FL has found a Wikipedia page which should help you. See post 12.