Jewish Historical Fiction discussion

Looking for reviews on Jewish/Latin American Historical Fiction

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jack (new)

Jack Michonik (jackmichonik) | 12 comments Hello. My name is Jack Michonik and I am a Jewish Spanish author. My historical fiction book, “La Descendencia” was translated and published in English on Amazon Kindle in 2015. "The Heritage" follows the story of two families who landed up in Latin America after they were forced to flee poverty and anti-Semitism in Eastern Europe in 1926. Though not an autobiographical novel, it could be the story of the parents or grandparents of any Jew from Central or South America.

I'm currently looking for reviews. If you would like to read and review this book, please message me and I'd be happy to gift you a copy on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010GJP068

Thank you,
Jack

message 2: by Mirta (last edited Jun 13, 2016 10:00PM) (new)

Mirta Trupp | 63 comments Hello Jack. I've posted my review, but here it is for easy access:

The Heritage, by Jack Michonik

What will become of your heritage? A seminal question; it is the heart wrenching query on the lips of every Jew as they witness the next generation take their place as leaders and shapers of the faith. The Heritage is an excellent fictional story of two families as they emigrate from Russia to the shores of South America. While there are innumerable accounts that speak of a mass exodus of Eastern European Jews immigrating to the ‘goldene medina’-The United States of America, this book provides much insight into another, equally fascinating, experience- that is to say, the immigration of Jews to South America.

The reader follows the lives of two young men as they make their way to a fictional location in South America in the early 1900’s. With great detail, Michonik presents a vivid narrative allowing us to be privy to historical events, as well as fictional situations that surely arose, one way or another, in the life of Jewish immigrants. The Heritage provides a look into Jewish South America and shines a light on one of the more prevalent difficulties: assimilation within a Catholic nation. As opposed to the United States, most, if not all, South American countries are Catholic. It is written within their constitution; there is no separation of Church and State. While Jews living on the Lower East Side in New York might have faced anti-Semitism and hardships as a minority, it was (and remains) a completely different experience when Catholicism is the official religion of the land. Michonik weaves a mystical ribbon of longing and trepidation throughout the novel- “a kind of luminous, nearly imperceptible dew” that seems to represent the tears of ancestors crying out, “What will become of your heritage?” I could hear my own ancestors posing the same appeal.

The Heritage was a pleasure to read as it mirrored much of my own family history. As a second generation Argentine, I was born to Jewish immigrants that escaped Russia prior to the revolution. I was mesmerized from the first few pages as I felt myself part of the family, identifying with their trials and tribulations. As a matter of fact, The Heritage is truly more than ‘just a Jewish’ story; it is a narrative that speaks of the quest for a better life- for oneself and for those yet to come, while remaining true to those who paved the way before us.

Mirta Ines Trupp

message 3: by Jack (new)

Jack Michonik (jackmichonik) | 12 comments Thank you Mirta!