Mount TBR 2016 discussion

Level 4: Mt. Ararat (48 Books) > Brianna's Mt Ararat Climb

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Brianna (last edited Dec 16, 2016 07:52PM) (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 96 comments statistics & books read

physical books read → 40
physical books added to the TBR → 38
dnfs → 01

01 → Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard | 4 Stars
02→ The Secret History of the Pink Carnation by Lauren Willig | 3 Stars
03→ Illuminae by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff | 3 Stars
04→ A Blind Spot for Boys by Justina Chen | 3 Stars
05→ Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling & Jim Kay | 5 Stars
06→ The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh | 4 Stars
07→ Flirting in Italian by Lauren Henderson | 2 Stars
08→ Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury | 4 Stars
09→ City of Bones by Cassandra Clare | 4 Stars
10→ Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi | 2 Stars
11→ The Dawn of the Color Photograph by David Okuefuna | 4 Stars
12→ Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas | 4 Stars
13→ Matilda by Roald Dahl | 5 Stars
14→ Afterworlds by Scott Westerfeld | 3 Stars
15→ All Unquiet Things by Anna Jarzab | 4 Stars
16→ Pretty Girl-13 by Liz Coley | 5 Stars
17→ The 100 by Kass Morgan | 4 Stars
18→ The Jewel by Amy Ewing | 4 Stars
19→ Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn | 3 Stars
20→ Ripper by Stefan Petrucha | 3 Stars
21→ The Girl Who Was Supposed to Die by April Henry | 3 Stars
22→ Long Way Round by Ewan McGregor & Charley Boorman | 5 Stars
23→ Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay | 3 Stars
24→ Matched by Ally Condie | 4 Stars
25→ Guy Langman, Crime Scene Procrastinator by Josh Berk | 3 Stars
26→ Legend by Marie Lu | 4 Stars
27→ Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson | 5 Stars
28→ Red Rising by Pierce Brown | 2 Stars
29→ Wishful Drinking by Carrie Fisher | 2 Stars
30→ The Walking Dead, Book One by Robert Kirkman | 3 Stars
31→ This Dark Endeavor by Kenneth Oppel | 4 Stars
32→ My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick | 4 Stars
33→ The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory | 5 Stars
34→ Confessions of a Murder Suspect by James Patterson & Maxine Paetro | 2 Stars
35→ A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin | 4 Stars
36→ The Running Dream by Wendelin Van Draanen | 5 Stars
37→ The Body in the Woods by April Henry | 3 Stars
38→ Maybe Someday by Colleen Hoover | 4 Stars
39→ The Martian by Andy Weir | 3 Stars
40→ Threads and Flames by Esther M. Friesner | 3 Stars

message 3: by Brianna (last edited Jul 02, 2016 08:27AM) (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 96 comments These are my top choices!

Red Queen (Red Queen, #1) by Victoria Aveyard Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1) by Amie Kaufman The Book Thief by Markus Zusak Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury The Wrath & the Dawn (The Wrath & the Dawn, #1) by Renee Ahdieh
The 100 (The 100, #1) by Kass Morgan Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn Long Way Round Chasing Shadows Across the World by Ewan McGregor Stormdancer (The Lotus War, #1) by Jay Kristoff The Green Glass Sea (Green Glass #1) by Ellen Klages
White Sands, Red Menace (Green Glass #2) by Ellen Klages Brave Story by Miyuki Miyabe S. by J.J. Abrams Someday, Someday, Maybe by Lauren Graham Shadowlands (Shadowlands, #1) by Kate Brian

top choices read→ 07
dnf'd→ 01

message 4: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 96 comments I reached the top of Mount Blanc and now I'm aiming for the top of Mount Ararat!

Here's what I aim to read for the remainder of June:
Guy Langman, Crime Scene Procrastinator by Josh Berk

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (outtaty) | 78 comments Well done!!!!

message 6: by Jane (new)

Jane Way to go!

message 7: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 96 comments Thank you ladies! :)

message 8: by Natália (new)

Natália Lopes (silkcaramel) You're doing so great!

message 9: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 96 comments #25→ Guy Langman, Crime Scene Procrastinator by Josh Berk | 3 Stars

This was alright. Some of the things discussed in the synopsis don't really happen until over halfway through the story so it was just mainly a lot of build up. It wasn't really a favorite, but not one I regret reading.

Guy Langman, Crime Scene Procrastinator by Josh Berk

message 10: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 96 comments I can't believe it's already almost July! After a pretty slow climb in June, I hope to make some big progress with reading the following:

Red Rising (Red Rising, #1) by Pierce Brown The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making (Fairyland, #1) by Catherynne M. Valente Wishful Drinking by Carrie Fisher Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson Stormdancer (The Lotus War, #1) by Jay Kristoff

message 11: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 96 comments #26→ Legend by Marie Lu | 4 Stars

I really liked this book. The pacing was a bit off, but still super enjoyable. I can't wait to read the sequel (which I already own)!

Legend (Legend, #1) by Marie Lu

message 12: by Brianna (last edited Jul 05, 2016 05:59PM) (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 96 comments #27→ Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson | 5 Stars

This was just way too cute! I seriously needed something fluffy and cute and this definitely fulfilled that need. There were a few things I wish were addressed, but it was nice that there was such an open ending.

Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson

message 13: by Natália (new)

Natália Lopes (silkcaramel) Brianna wrote: "#26→ Legend by Marie Lu | 4 Stars

I really liked this book. The pacing was a bit off, but still super enjoyable. I can't wait to read the sequel (which I already own)!

[bookcover:L..."

I'm currently finishing this book as well! I'm enjoying it a lot, but I agree the pacing is a little off. I struggles to understand the world building at first, but after the first 60 pages or so, things started to pick up a little.

message 14: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 96 comments Natália wrote: "Brianna wrote: "#26→ Legend by Marie Lu | 4 Stars

I really liked this book. The pacing was a bit off, but still super enjoyable. I can't wait to read the sequel (which I already own..."

The beginning definitely dragged, but I was definitely invested by the end. I hope you enjoy it as well!

message 15: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 96 comments #28→ Red Rising by Pierce Brown | 2 Stars

I'm not doing so hot this month! This book was seriously subpar for me. I just was not a fan. I can see the appeal, but it just wasn't my cup of tea.

Red Rising (Red Rising, #1) by Pierce Brown

message 16: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 96 comments #29→ Wishful Drinking by Carrie Fisher | 2 Stars

Yet another mediocre book this week. I was really excited for this one, but it was nothing like I though it would be. It was seriously all over the place and didn't entirely make a whole lot of sense.

Wishful Drinking by Carrie Fisher

message 17: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 96 comments I didn't get all the books read that I wanted to this month, but I still made good progress up the mountain! Here are my goals for August:

Stormdancer (The Lotus War, #1) by Jay Kristoff The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making (Fairyland, #1) by Catherynne M. Valente The Walking Dead, Book One (The Walking Dead #1-12) by Robert Kirkman This Dark Endeavor (The Apprenticeship of Victor Frankenstein, #1) by Kenneth Oppel The Other Boleyn Girl (The Tudor Court, #3) by Philippa Gregory

message 18: by Brianna (last edited Aug 09, 2016 08:26PM) (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 96 comments 30→ The Walking Dead, Book One by Robert Kirkman | 3 Stars

I am not a fan of the show, so I wasn't sure how I would like the graphic novel it was based on. I actually liked it! It definitely moved quicker than the show which was always my main complaint-that it was too boring.

The Walking Dead, Book One (The Walking Dead #1-12) by Robert Kirkman

message 19: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 96 comments 31→ This Dark Endeavor by Kenneth Oppel | 4 Stars

I really enjoyed this one! I've had the series for what feels like forever and for some reason I've never picked it up. Well, I'm happy I finally did so! Definitely one I recommend.

This Dark Endeavor (The Apprenticeship of Victor Frankenstein, #1) by Kenneth Oppel

message 20: by Brianna (last edited Aug 17, 2016 06:09PM) (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 96 comments 32→ My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick | 4 Stars

I tried reading this a year or two ago and didn't really get into it. I'm happy I tried it again! This book was really good! Parts were kind of unrealistic, but overall I enjoyed it. I thought I had the twist guessed, but I definitely did not! I definitely will read more by this author.

My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick

message 21: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 96 comments 33→ The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory | 5 Stars

I really really really liked this one. I have put off reading this because it's not the first in the series, but I don't think that was much of a problem. This time frame is definitely one of my favorite and this book was such an easy read, I couldn't help but enjoy it!

The Other Boleyn Girl (The Tudor Court, #3) by Philippa Gregory

message 22: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 96 comments 34→ Confessions of a Murder Suspect by James Patterson & Maxine Paetro | 2 Stars

Meh. This book was just alright. There were so many elements that were just too random and did not really add to the story at all. This is one series I will not be continuing with.

Confessions of a Murder Suspect (Confessions, #1) by James Patterson

message 23: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Brianna wrote: "34→ Confessions of a Murder Suspect by James Patterson & Maxine Paetro | 2 Stars

Meh. This book was just alright. There were so many elements that were just too random and did not ..."

This was my reaction too. Have you read other Patterson books? I was wondering if I just started with a poor choice...

message 24: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 96 comments Leslie wrote: "Brianna wrote: "34→ Confessions of a Murder Suspect by James Patterson & Maxine Paetro | 2 Stars

Meh. This book was just alright. There were so many elements that were just too ran..."

I read a couple books from the Maximum Ride series (The Angel Experiment) and enjoyed them. They weren't anything earth shattering, but I liked them better than this book!

message 25: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Thanks Brianna -- I'll give Patterson another try some day.

message 26: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 96 comments Decided not to focus on certain books I had planned for in August, but still got a good amount read! Here is my plan for September:

The Running Dream by Wendelin Van Draanen The Martian by Andy Weir The Body in the Woods (Point Last Seen, #1) by April Henry

message 27: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 96 comments Leslie wrote: "Thanks Brianna -- I'll give Patterson another try some day."

I don't blame you at all! lol

message 28: by Brianna (last edited Sep 08, 2016 12:08PM) (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 96 comments 35→ A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin | 4 Stars

Oh goodness, this book was hard for me to get through! I originally started read it last April/May (ish), got about half way through, put it down and never picked it up again. This year I am part of a reading group that is reading the Song of Ice and Fire series so it definitely helped push me to get this finished! This is probably my least favorite of the 4 I've read so far. Either that, or it's tied with A Clash of Kings. It wasn't badly written or anything, but it was just full of characters I'm fairly indifferent about.

A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, #4) by George R.R. Martin

message 29: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 96 comments 36→ The Running Dream by Wendelin Van Draanen | 5 Stars

This book was too cute! I haven't read a book this quick in forever! I read it in less than 3 hours. I couldn't put it down! I suffer from a very minor (thankfully) case of cerebral palsy myself and I feel like disabilities in general are very underrepresented in literature-especially young adult. Definitely one I recommend!

The Running Dream by Wendelin Van Draanen

message 30: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Congrats on reaching the top of Mt. Vancouver Brianna!

message 31: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 96 comments Thank you Leslie! I honestly didn't even notice that! lol Well on my way to Mt Ararat! Yay!

message 32: by Brianna (last edited Sep 16, 2016 03:02PM) (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 96 comments 37→ The Body in the Woods by April Henry | 3 Stars

This was another book by April Henry that I enjoyed this year. This was more realistic, but still had some fun elements. I did guess who it was pretty early on, but that didn't detract from me enjoying watching everyone else figure it out. There were a few things that didn't feel quite necessary and a few things that were never really resolved, but felt like they were forgotten. Either way, an enjoyable story by an author I'd definitely recommend!

The Body in the Woods (Point Last Seen, #1) by April Henry

message 33: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 96 comments 38→ Maybe Someday by Colleen Hoover | 4 Stars

This was such a cute book. There were a few moments I wasn't sure I was going to like it, but by the end I couldn't put it down. The main complaint I have-my goodness does Sydney cry at everything!

Maybe Someday (Maybe, #1) by Colleen Hoover

message 34: by Brianna (last edited Oct 02, 2016 10:09AM) (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 96 comments Overall, September was a pretty good reading month! Mainly read ebooks, but still got quite a few physical books off my shelves! I'm still reading The Martian, but here's what else I plan to read in October:

The Green Glass Sea (Green Glass #1) by Ellen Klages Rot & Ruin (Rot & Ruin, #1) by Jonathan Maberry

message 35: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 96 comments I had a horrible slump hit me in October and in November I was able to start reading a bit more, but no books that I owned for this challenge.

I was able to read one book before my slump hit though!

39 → The Martian

The Martian by Andy Weir

I need to read 9 books to reach the top of my mountain and I highly doubt that I will. I am happy that I reached the top of Mt Vancouver though!

message 36: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 96 comments I finally finished a book that counts towards this challenge! I started coming out of my slump in the beginning of November but any of the books I read were in electronic form (which don't count towards my challenge) or books that I bought this year.

40 → Threads and Flames by Esther M. Friesner | 3 Stars
I think this was an interesting book but not as captivating as I hope historical fiction to be.

Threads and Flames by Esther M. Friesner