Play Book Tag discussion

Carrying Albert Home: The Somewhat True Story of A Man, His Wife, and Her Alligator
This topic is about Carrying Albert Home
Archive: Other Books > Carrying Albert Home: The Somewhat True Story of a Man, His Wife, and Her Alligator by Homer Hickam ★★★★

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Karin | 6888 comments Faced with the ultimatum to choose between her husband and her growing alligator, Albert, Elsie Hickam chooses her husband on the condition they take Albert home to Florida. Thus begins the tale of an epic road trip, based on real events, but grown into tall tales by the author’s parents as they told the tales to him over the years. Adventure, humour, danger; everything is here as the three main characters—two humans and a reptile—are joined in their journey early on by a rooster, for a while by author John Steinbeck, and a host of characters, some honest, some nefarious, some rather odd.

This is the first book I’ve ever read by Homer Hickam, and I’m grateful to the group that had an author discussion with him that prompted me to read it, to whomever came up with such a winning title that kept me interested in starting it despite delays on my part, as well as the good writing. This may not have been one of those rare five star books for me, but it is a very strong 4 stars. I have another book of Hickam’s here now, waiting to be read.

message 2: by Kathy (last edited Jun 15, 2016 08:38PM) (new) - added it

Kathy This book has been on my radar for awhile. To think it all started with Buddy Ebson. Do you think it would be a good selection for a face-to- face bookclub comprised mostly of retired English teachers? I am not an English teacher myself so I am at a bit of a disadvantage when it comes to book selection, but I am so sick of WWII books.

message 3: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments It sounds very intriguing!

message 4: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3778 comments Sounds interesting!

Looked at the Goodreads page, it say's a cross between Big Fish and The Notebook. What a weird mix.

Karin | 6888 comments Kathy wrote: "This book has been on my radar for awhile. To think it all started with Buddy Ebson. Do you think it would be a good selection for a face-to- face bookclub comprised mostly of retired English teach..."

Not being an English teacher, it's hard to say with one hundred percent certainty, but seeing as they are mostly retired and this is set in the 1930s (perhaps some of them were born then if they are in my parents' generation), it's entertaining and a good read, I would say give it a try.

Karin | 6888 comments Joi wrote: "Sounds interesting!

Looked at the Goodreads page, it say's a cross between Big Fish and The Notebook. What a weird mix."

I haven't read either of those two books, so can't say :).

message 7: by Kathy (new) - added it

Kathy I loved Big Fish so I am definitely going to read this one.

message 8: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (margarette) | 292 comments Is your other book by Hickam Rocket Boys? If so, you're in for a treat.

Karin | 6888 comments Margarette wrote: "Is your other book by Hickam Rocket Boys? If so, you're in for a treat."

Yes, I'm hoping to get to it before I have to return it to the library, but have some other books to finish, and then to read, first. So many books, only so much reading time.