Gore and More discussion

General Horror Chat > Werewolves/Shapeshifters

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 677 comments Mod
In the last year, the horror market has seen some great new werewolf and shapeshifter tales. My favorites here recently have been:

Wolf Land Wolf Land by Jonathan Janz by Jonathan Janz

Blood And Rain Blood And Rain by Glenn Rolfe by Glenn Rolfe

Out of the Light Out of the Light by Douglas Smith by Douglas Smith

Ravenous Ravenous by Ray Garton by Ray Garton

Northwoods Northwoods by Bill Schweigart by Bill Schweigart

Best New Werewolf Tales Best New Werewolf Tales (Vol.1) by Carolina Smart

Which ones did you like and recommend?

message 2: by Kevin (last edited Jun 09, 2016 02:39AM) (new)

Kevin (spiralcity) | 406 comments Mod
My favorite wolf novel to date was written by Robert McCammon.

The Wolf's Hour

The Wolf's Hour by Robert McCammon

I have yet to read a better werewolf novel.

message 3: by Kenneth (new)

Kevin wrote: "My favorite wolf novel to date was written by Robert McCammon.

The Wolf's Hour

I have yet to read a better werewolf novel."

How could I forget Wolf's Hour?!? McCammon did a fantastic job with that one.

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 52 comments I hope one comes up as a group read someday because as far as I can remember I've never read a proper werewolf book.

Bitten doesn't count, and it was rubbish so it double doesn't count.

message 5: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater was ok, but the series kind of went down hill from there.

I know they were pretty trashy books, but I liked the “mythology” of the wolves in the Twilight series. *ducks* :)

message 6: by David (new)

David Brian (davidbrian) | 116 comments I've just started reading Where Wolves Run by Jason Parent by Jason Parent. It's a promising start, so I'll check back with a final verdict.

message 7: by Kenneth (new)

Jennifer wrote: "I hope one comes up as a group read someday because as far as I can remember I've never read a proper werewolf book.

Bitten doesn't count, and it was rubbish so it double doesn't count."

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at what's coming down the pike with the group reads. I don't want to let the cat out of the bag too soon, but one of the things we'll be doing on here is not only our group reads where the members pick the stories, but we've got a few group reads where the authors that wrote the books will be joining us along the way in the discussions.

message 8: by Kenneth (new)

David wrote: "I've just started reading Where Wolves Run by Jason Parent by Jason Parent. It's a promising start, so I'll check back with a final verdict."

Please do. Parent is a promising up-and-comer. I'm looking forward to reading more of his work.

message 9: by Blight (new)

Blight (wolfcreed) I'd like to join in a future buddy read too if it concerns a *proper* werewold book, as you described :D

No Twilight, packs, alpha/beta, soul mates crap, please & thank you, hahah!

message 10: by David (new)

David Brian (davidbrian) | 116 comments Well, I finished Where Wolves Run by Jason Parent by Jason Parent, and I liked it a lot. Voiced in the style of a folk tale, JP caught the feel of 'Old Europe' well.

My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 11: by Kenneth (new)

David wrote: "Well, I finished Where Wolves Run by Jason Parent by Jason Parent, and I liked it a lot. Voiced in the style of a folk tale, JP caught the feel of 'Old Europe' well.

My review: https://www.go..."

Sounds like it's right up my alley. On the TBR pile it goes!|

message 12: by Kenneth (new)

Wolfrott wrote: "I'd like to join in a future buddy read too if it concerns a *proper* werewold book, as you described :D

No Twilight, packs, alpha/beta, soul mates crap, please & thank you, hahah!"

We don't tolerate anything that sparkles around here. No teenage angst or mushiness. Our lycanthropes are required to be bloodthirsty and go for the throat.

message 13: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 150 comments I enjoyed Rougarou and Rougarou II. Haven't read the 3rd one yet.

message 14: by D20 (new)

D20 | 173 comments Lots of books I haven't heard of before in this thread. I'll enjoy checking them out.

message 15: by June (new)

June (-_-_-june-_-_-_) | 10 comments David wrote: "Well, I finished Where Wolves Run by Jason Parent by Jason Parent, and I liked it a lot. Voiced in the style of a folk tale, JP caught the feel of 'Old Europe' well.

My review: https://www.go..."

Yeah I really liked this one too, David. Really good for anyone who enjoys more 'old feel' werewolves.
Incidentally, I liked both your Carmilla books, but Carmilla: A Dark Fugue is a bad-ass werewolf story. Carmilla A Dark Fugue by David Brian

message 16: by D20 (new)

D20 | 173 comments Keep them coming! I'm going to have to make a werewolves shelf.

message 18: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 150 comments I enjoyed that one Tom!

message 19: by David (new)

David Brian (davidbrian) | 116 comments June wrote: "David wrote: "Well, I finished Where Wolves Run by Jason Parent by Jason Parent, and I liked it a lot. Voiced in the style of a folk tale, JP caught the feel of 'Old Europe' well.

My review: ..."

Thanks, June. :)

I think this thread now qualifies as my 'go to' list for fur and fang reads.

message 20: by David (new)

David Brian (davidbrian) | 116 comments Kevin wrote: "My favorite wolf novel to date was written by Robert McCammon.

The Wolf's Hour

I really must get to The Wolf's Hour, and sooner rather than later. I've only ever heard good things about it.

message 21: by D20 (new)

D20 | 173 comments Anyone read High Moor by Graeme Reynolds ? The Amazon reviews are mostly very good.

message 22: by Kenneth (new)

D20 wrote: "Anyone read High Moor by Graeme Reynolds? The Amazon reviews are mostly very good."

You know, I have that one downloaded and on my TBR pile, but I haven't read it yet.

message 23: by Kenneth (new)

David wrote: "Kevin wrote: "My favorite wolf novel to date was written by Robert McCammon.

The Wolf's Hour

I really..."

I love it. It's like James Bond is a werewolf spy for the British and he's taking on the Nazis. Just a lot of fun.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) I can't think of horror novels with werewolves I've read other than the Howling books years ago (cant remember well enough what I'd rate them) and the medicre Silver Bullet

I read werewolves in Urban fantasy but those aren't the horror type of shifters!

I have Wolf hour to read sometime, and another werewolf book by John Farris

message 25: by D20 (new)

D20 | 173 comments Ken wrote:"You know, I have that one downloaded and on my TBR pile, but I haven't read it yet."

I've downloaded it now too. I've become distrustful of vampire and werewolf books in recent years so I check them out thoroughly before buying.

message 26: by Marie (new)

Marie You all want a good werewolf story, then you need to go buy this five part series or if you have a kindle unlimited account on amazon, then you can get them there: Outage Boxed Set Books 1-3 (Outage #1-3) by T.W. Piperbrook The Reckoning (Outage #4) by T.W. Piperbrook The Change (Outage #5) by T.W. Piperbrook

These are excellent books and you won't be disappointed! Actually these books fit right in with the name of our group "Gore and More" as these books have plenty of gore.

message 27: by D20 (new)

D20 | 173 comments M wrote: "You all want a good werewolf story, then you need to go buy this five part series or if you have a kindle unlimited account on amazon, then you can get them there:[bookcover:Outage Boxed Set: Books..."

That kind of goes with the territory when you're dealing with werewolves.

message 28: by Kevin (last edited Nov 21, 2016 08:15AM) (new)

Kevin (spiralcity) | 406 comments Mod
I recently read "Wolf Hunt" by Jeff Strand. I got a kick out the story. It wasn't too bad.

Wolf Hunt by Jeff Strand

message 29: by Kenneth (last edited Jan 25, 2017 03:46PM) (new)

I'm going to throw one more in the mix of my favorites and this comes from my most recent read. Dead of Winter Dead of Winter by Brian Moreland by Brian Moreland is a fantastic story and it involves a marriage of Native American Windigo/shapeshifters with demonic possession. I highly recommend it!

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Marie wrote: "You all want a good werewolf story, then you need to go buy this five part series or if you have a kindle unlimited account on amazon, then you can get them there:[bookcover:Outage Boxed Set: Books..."

Interesting - just added the first collection.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) I read Wolf Hunt the other day and really enjoyed it.

message 32: by Glenn (last edited Mar 27, 2017 12:06AM) (new)

Glenn Rolfe | 71 comments Just to update you guys, I just re-released the Kindle Edition of BLOOD AND RAIN Blood And Rain by Glenn Rolfe .

I'm currently halfway through the writing process of the follow-up. Hoping to release this October.

Arroooooo!

message 33: by June (new)

June (-_-_-june-_-_-_) | 10 comments Glenn wrote: "Just to update you guys, I just re-released the Kindle Edition of BLOOD AND RAIN Blood And Rain by Glenn Rolfe .

I'm currently halfway through the writing process of the follow-up. Hoping to..."

TBR, Glenn! Thank you for the heads up! :-)

message 34: by JL (new)

JL Shioshita (uberproductions) | 40 comments Has anybody read The Guns of Santa Sangre? It was recommended to me a while back as a good werewolf western but haven't had a chance to check it out. Wanted to see if anyone else had read it before.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Sorry haven't heard of it.