The Kindle Chronicles discussion

Tech Support for Your Kindle > Books Deleted from Kindle Paperwhite Keep Coming Back

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jesse (last edited Jun 08, 2016 02:31PM) (new)

Jesse Smith | 3 comments Having searched numerous forums, I now realize I did a bad thing - deleted books and documents from my Kindle Paperwhite's "documents" folder using Windows Explorer across a USB link. Now, no matter what technique I use to "delete" these books, including touchscreen delete menu, they always reappear in my Paperwhite's "documents" folder after a Restart or Reset - presumably because their sidecar files are "recreating" them. So where are these sidecar files, and how can I delete them to keep these books and documents from constantly being restored to my "documents" folder?

message 2: by John (new)

John Aga | 32 comments Have you tried a factory reset? If that does not work, Kindle technical support. Good luck.

message 3: by Jesse (new)

Jesse Smith | 3 comments As I said, the books reappear after a Reset. And Kindle tech support is useless - the techs I have spoken with are clearly not "techs," merely working off scripts with no intimate knowledge of the inner workings of the Kindle file system.

message 4: by John (new)

John Aga | 32 comments I am guessing you told them their scripts are not working. Did ask for them to elevate you problem to the next level of tech support. Someone who might have some answers not on a script? If you did and still no luck, you might want to insist on a replacement. Is it still within the period of warranty. If not they might still give you a good deal on a new or refurbished mode. Good luck.

message 5: by Lourenco (new)

Lourenco | 2 comments Just an idea.
Try to load them again to your Paperwhite via Windows Explorer. Then delete the books using your Paperwhite.

message 6: by Lourenco (new)

Lourenco | 2 comments Another idea.
Maybe you should delete the books and documents from the cloud. Use your PC browser to do that.

message 7: by Jesse (new)

Jesse Smith | 3 comments Forgot to mention: These are not on the cloud as they were not Amazon purchases. Also, trying to load them again merely creates a second copy, which is itself deletable - but the original remains. The key issue here is the existence of companion "sidecar" files somewhere inside the Kindle file system which are re-creating these books each time I delete them. I need the help of a supergeek who understands how sidecar files work within the Kindle file system.

message 8: by John (new)

John Aga | 32 comments Could you use Windows File Explorer to find and delete their source?

message 9: by Len (new)

Len Edgerly (lenedgerly) | 111 comments Mod
Did this problem ever get solved? I hope so!