DFW Planetary Society Book Club discussion

The Martian > Book vs Movie *spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Markie (new)

Markie (vegoego) | 90 comments Mod
So, I finally finished the book today and was reflecting on the movie version of the story. My husband watched the movie recently so I'm a little fresh on the movie but probably need to re-watch it again soon.

In my opinion, the movie stuck pretty close to the book. They left out some stuff towards the end, like Watney getting trapped in the storm and flipping the rover, but I guess they couldn't fit everything into the movie.
They also did a great job in casting, as I think Matt Damon did a great job portraying Watney's sense of humor.

Have you guys seen it recently? Any major issues with the adaptation or do you think they did a good job?

message 2: by Jo (new)

Jo Phillips | 8 comments I thought a lot of detail was left out of the movie, but it stayed true to the book in the major story. I read the book in 2 days, then noticed the movie is now playing on HBO. What luck. So I watched it last night. Mainly the loss of communication toward the end was very tense in the book, Mark having to lay out rocks to communicate in morse code. Totally gone in the movie, so could have been more exciting. All in all I think they did a great job with everything, including casting.

message 3: by Mark (new)

Mark | 87 comments Totally agree on the casting, Matt Damon is great (and spawned hilarious memes about how much money has been spent to rescue him in movies). One of my favorite differences is that in the movie he actually does do the "Iron Man" move with the glove, very funny and fitting addition. Probably the best book to movie adaptation I can remember.

message 4: by David (new)

David Marchbanks | 16 comments I thought it was great as well. You always know that there will be some stuff lost in a movie adaptation, but this one did a great job of capturing the overall feel of the story and characters.