The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time discussion

Mystery novels for people who don't read mysteries

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Little I have to read a mystery for my library's summer reading challenge. I'm not a big mystery reader, and generally don't enjoy straight mysteries. I do, however, like novels with unique protagonists and unusual structures. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time and Almost Everything Very Fast: A Novel leap to mind as examples. Even The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series is ok, because it's got a charming and unique protagonist. Anyone have a suggestion for me of a not-so-typical mystery?

Sheila A.S. Byatt, Possession. Literary detective fiction. :)

ROBERT Motherless Brooklyn by Jonathan Lethem. https://www.amazon.com/Motherless-Bro...

I have read a lot of mysteries, who dunnits and the like. The protagonist has Tourettes Syndrome and was an orphan, It is a very unusual mystery. Lethem is a good writer and this book (1999 or so) got a lot of good reviews.

Betsy Hetzel TEN LITTLE INDIANS, by Agatha Christie OR

REBECCA , by Daphne du Maurier

Doesn't get better than those two , IMO !!

Christopher Borum "The Name of the Rose" by Umberto Eco. As much historical fiction as mystery, although a death is the catalyzing event. And the resolution is memorable.

ROBERT Christopher wrote: ""The Name of the Rose" by Umberto Eco. As much historical fiction as mystery, although a death is the catalyzing event. And the resolution is memorable."

That is a good suggestion. Plus, she could watch the movie.

Derek I would recommend "Mr. Penumbra's 24 hour bookstore"

Tori "The Thirteenth Tale" by Diane Setterfield, "The 19th Wife" by David Ebershoff and just about anything by Barbara Michaels.