Gore and More discussion

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 677 comments Mod
The zombie market has been over-saturated for a decade now. Most known horror authors and many that you've never heard of have thrown their hat in the ring. What ones have you read that are worthy of the title "great zombie story"?

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim Lay | 5 comments I've read a bloody mess of them (pun intended) but a recent one that surprised me was Coldbrook by Tim Lebbon. It was a clever sci fi/horror blend about a secret govt lab that manages to create a portal to an alternate Earth and an infected person staggers through and spreads the plague on our earth.

message 3: by Kenneth (new)

I've read a couple of Lebbon's stuff. I really like him. I'll have to check it out.

message 4: by Kevin (last edited Jun 09, 2016 02:36AM) (new)

Kevin (spiralcity) | 406 comments Mod
The rise of the Zombie genre mirrors that of the Vampire novel. All that it takes in todays market is one successful novel (or series), then the cat's out of the bag.

I remember the onslaught after Anne Rice had great success. There was a never ending churn of pulpy, buttery, sexy vampire book's flooding the market.

I truly felt at the time, Anne Rice ruined the genre for good.

message 5: by Emma (new)

Emma The girl with all the gifts? That has been trending this year. I really liked it and it fact encouraged me to explore the zombie story line more. Rot and Ruin, quite a good YA series..

message 6: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I have loved the comic series The Walking Dead, Compendium 1 by Robert Kirkman since it started and still love the show.

Not your typical zombies perse, but Cell by Stephen King was a different take on the genre and I really liked it. I'm in the minority, though.

message 7: by Kenneth (new)

Kandice wrote: "I have loved the comic series The Walking Dead, Compendium 1 by Robert Kirkman since it started and still love the show.

Not your typical zombies perse, but Cel..."</i>

Many people don't realize that [author:Brian Keene
jump started the zombie revival long before The Walking Dead with his excellent novel, The Rising. For those of you that aren't familiar with it, I highly recommend it.

message 8: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 150 comments They both sound good Scott!

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) I'm actually picky with zombie stuff since they don't interest me much either, although I do love The Walking Dead TV Show, some of the comedy Zombie movies like Sean of the Dead and Zombieland, and the book Dead Sea by Brian Keene is pretty good.

message 10: by Emma (new)

Emma Double Dead and
The Reapers are the Angels are both brilliant zombie novels, the first is pretty funny and the second is touching.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) I'm not a big zombie fan really, but I loved

Dead Sea by Brian Keene Stranger by Simon Clark

Also this book is hilarious - I recommend everyone checking it out. It's tongue in cheek humor with all kinds of classic monsters, a zombie in the lead

Love, Death and Tea by Will Once

message 12: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 113 comments Confessions of a Red Neck Zombie Killing Psycho

I read this last year. It's a good paced horror and zombie novel. It's the first book of a series although I've yet to read the other two. I definitely recommend it.

message 13: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 113 comments Seeing as zombies are still hot right now lets get some recommendations going.

message 14: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) I am not a zombie kinda girl but I really liked The Girl with All the Gifts and Raising Stony Mayhall

message 15: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) I am new to the group and just have to say Latasha, I loved Raising Stony Mayhall and am not really into zombies either.

message 16: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) Yeah it was a good one. Welcome to the group

message 17: by MJ (new)

MJ (budsnspuds) | 37 comments I'm not a big zombie fan either but Raising Stony Mayhall sounds good.

message 18: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I liked The Forest of Hands and Teeth, and although this is kind of band-wagon-ish, (I read it before it was really popular!) I love The Walking Dead comics. The show is going downhill, but the comics continue to amaze.

Real zombie stories are never, ever about the zombies.

message 19: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) I tried to read that but I thought they were vampires! Lol

message 20: by Kenneth (new)

Kandice wrote: "I liked The Forest of Hands and Teeth, and although this is kind of band-wagon-ish, (I read it before it was really popular!) I love The Walking Dead comics. The show is going downhi..."

I agree. Zombies tend to be the setting in story and not the main characters. The same as characters on a deserted island. The dangers of the deserted island being the constant setting.

Has anyone read Joe McKinney's Dead City ? I've had that one on my TBR for quite some time now.

message 21: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) Ken wrote: "Kandice wrote: "I liked The Forest of Hands and Teeth, and although this is kind of band-wagon-ish, (I read it before it was really popular!) I love The Walking Dead comics. The show..."

I haven't.

message 22: by Marie (new)

Marie Zero Day / Infected / Destroyer by Bobby Adair is a very good series - I wasn't much of a zombie person either till the storyline of these sounded really good, so I decided to give them a try and really liked them.

Though there is more in the series that I need to get back to reading as I haven't read the whole series yet, but I did enjoy what I read and there was quite a bit of action in the series also, which helped to move the story along faster.

message 23: by Kenneth (new)

David wrote: "Slowly we rot by Bryan Smith is one of the best zombie novels I have ever read. I also recommend the sinister mr corpse by Jeff strand."

That is a good one. I had the pleasure of discovering Bryan with that read last year. Believe it or not, I have yet to read anything by Strand. I have a bunch of his stuff in my Kindle, but my TBR pile is growing at an uncontrollable rate!

message 24: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Rooney | 7 comments Zombie Fallout by Mark Tufo! such a fantastic book series

message 25: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Rooney | 7 comments oh, and Peter Meredith writes really great zombie books as well

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Feed wasn't bad - very good story, although zombies are so in the background I kind of forgot about them half the time.

message 27: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 113 comments I haven't heard much on the zombie front as of late. I wouldn't say it's died down by any means but I haven't heard as much on The Walking Dead and other related zombie things. It's now October so I think I may have spoken too soon...