The Geek Girls Book Club discussion

General Info > Summer Reading 2016

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (NikkiSticks) | 413 comments Mod
Now that we are on #GGBC summer break, what are you reading? Check our blog for ideas! Geekgirlsbookclub.blogspot.com

message 2: by Nicole (new)

Any new stuff out this summer you are excited to read? Post and give us a great summer reading list! I can't wait for the new book in the Sandman Slim series by Richard Kadrey.

message 3: by Autumn (new)

Autumn (autumnbuck) | 6 comments I'm ever so slowly creeping through the decline and fall of the roman empire. Its 3,000 pages long so it keeps crashing my nook, but the e version is soooo much cheaper than the box set!

But I just finished Moby Dick, why did nobody ever tell me how funny it was!? (Except, you know, the end)

Also just read a book on Catarina Sforza called the Tigress of Forli and omg is she my new hero (except for one very awful thing she did that she spent the rest of her life regretting.) She stood up to the Borgias when they tried to steal her city. Other stuff happens, I don't want to spoil it but that woman was amazing (and kinda went down as a villian in some histories because she crossed machiavelli so he lambasted her in The Prince.) The whole book takes the noble daughter married for politics and turns it on its head.

There are some gems in the $2.99 and under history section in the nook, just fyi

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura (ratatosk) | 26 comments I love Moby Dick! Great meditation on monomania. My husband thought it was hilarious too, but I think it was too close to my work for me to be to amused by it.

message 5: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Hazel | 1 comments I just powered thru the Newsflesh trilogy (Feed, Deadline, & Blackout) by Mira Grant. Great zombie/thriller/political intrigue with characters you really care about & root for.

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer I've got the new Stephen King "End of watch" and Joe Hill's "The Fireman" to work thorough.

I'm also working throught the Witcher books so I can play Witcher 3 at some point now it's all complete.

Also, I'm buddy reading The Iliad with a couple of ladies. We unfortunately decided on the free Kindle version which according to the introduction is not the best and also really hard to read, so it's not easy going. But, we finish on Sunday so after that I'm going to wind down with some trashy free kindle horror stories.

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauralh05) | 13 comments I'm slogging through "Under the Stars: How America Fell in Love with Camping". It's an early reviewer win that I was completely excited for, but is spending a bit more time on the 1800s - 1910s than I anticipated. Based on the blurb which talked up the author's camping experiences, I was hoping for more of a Bill Bryson style book and less waxing poetic about authors who wrote about camping in Victorian times.

Another early review I have to get to is "Dinner with Edward" which sounds pretty good. Also dipping in to a couple of art books - "The Creative License" by Danny Gregory and "The Collage Workbook" (can't remember author/artist at the moment). Those have been good little inspiration books to pick up and read when I want to transition my time from reading to creating.

Other TBR's for this summer - "Euphoria", "Ancillary Mercy", and "Furiously Happy".

message 8: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (owlchilde) | 1 comments I am going to make my way through The Keltiad trilogy by Patricia Kenealy-Morrison. My husband read them many moons before I ever met him and suggested they might be a good bridge for me between fantasy and science fiction.
Not to mention everything else in my "Oh that looks interesting, let me pick it up." pile of books.

message 9: by Autumn (new)

Autumn (autumnbuck) | 6 comments Has anyone else read the Sylph? it was written by Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire (though anonymously) back in the 1700s. Parts of it rely heavily on a romantic gothic...motif I want to say? but it is a woman from the 1700s writing about women in the 1700s which I found facinating because even the kinda silly parts were a little heartwrenching because you felt like she was writing what she wished happened to her instead of being stuck in a horrible marriage.

Kiera Knightley played Georgiana in a movie called the Duchess a few years back if she sounds familiar. I hear it isn't completely accurate but hey, reading and watching made a good pairing.

message 10: by Malaraa (last edited Jul 30, 2016 04:25PM) (new)

Malaraa I've had bad luck this summer finding things, so I'll fall back on some of my winter/spring reads from earlier this year. :)

Dreaming Death fantasy/murder mystery where the characters experience the murders happening in dreams (in real-time when they're actually happening). Beautiful, wonderful world, and a good solid mystery.

Zero World This is often summed up as "Bourne in Space" and it is. Fun, fast, high-action spy thriller. Bring popcorn, this should be on the big screen!

Borderline Hard to explain this one without spoilers, but I really liked it. :)

Also continued reading Martha Wells's Raksura books, the latest of which was The Edge of Worlds. I love this series so very much, it just keeps getting better all the time.

Hopefully fall books will be back in the swing of things. :)

edit: Might have to stop waiting for the price on Towers Fall to fall to paperback level. I need something that'll be a guaranteed hit for me, and this series hasn't failed me yet.

message 11: by Nicole (new)

You are all my reading heroes! Awesome choices!