Agatha Christie Lovers discussion

Fun Stuff > 10 BOOKISH THINGS ABOUT YOU - Answer these fun questions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Carolyn F. (last edited Jun 08, 2016 09:35PM) (new)

Carolyn F. | 4565 comments Mod
This is fun (at least to me). Add your answers in the comments section!

1. What book is on your nightstand now?

2. What was the last truly great book that you read?

3. If you could meet any writer – dead or alive – who would it be? And what would you want to know?

4. What books might we be surprised to find on your shelves?

5. How do you organize your personal library?

6. What book have you always meant to read and haven’t gotten around to yet? Anything you feel embarrassed never to have read?

7. Disappointing, overrated, just not good: what book did you feel you were supposed to like but didn't?

8. What kinds of stories are you drawn to? Any you stay clear of?

9. If you could require the president to read one book, what would it be?

10. What do you plan to read next?

message 2: by Carolyn F. (new)

Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor - it's the book of the month for my sci-fi book club.

Fire Touched by Patricia Briggs. The Mercy Thompson series is one of my top 5 favorite series.

3. If you could meet any writer – dead or alive – who would it be? And what would you want to know?
Any of the Brontes, Agatha Christie, Jane Austen, Arthur Conan Doyle and C.S. Lewis. I would have all of the questions ready but would end up smiling and not saying anything because I'd be too freaked out.

Erotica, the Bible, some children's books, if you put those with my historical fiction, autobiographies, biographies, sci-fi, paranormal romance, chick fiction, classical books, you'd probably be surprised by what I don't have.

I have them split up with paranormal and sci-fi on one bookshelf and historical and contemporary fiction on another in semi-alphabetical order. My read books are grouped by authors on a 3rd and 4th bookshelf and my "fancy" books are in the living room on our nice bookshelves.

6. What book have you always meant to read and haven’t gotten around to yet? Anything you feel embarrassed never to have read?
I've been reading since I was about 12 and I've gone through times when I read only a certain genre so there's not much I haven't read. I'm not embarrassed about anything I haven't read because now that I'm in my 50s I don't have time for books that aren't interesting to me.

7. Disappointing, overrated, just not good: what book did you feel you were supposed to like but didn't?
Women in Love by D.H. Lawrence. That book so was sanctimonious, I just could not finish it. It's a classic so I guess I'm in the minority.

I am drawn to anything of a sci-fi bent.

I am not interested in any Arthurian books. How many ways can these characters be explained? About 1000. So incredibly boring.

I don't think he (or maybe she?) should be "required" to read anything.

I get most of my books from the library so it's whatever is due next.

message 3: by Aušrinė (last edited Jun 09, 2016 02:38AM) (new)

Aušrinė (ausrejurke) | 148 comments 1. What book is on your nightstand now?
If I had a nightstand, A Caribbean Mystery would be on it. Now I just have to keep it on the nearest table.

What's a very tricky question! I read many great books, but it is hard to find something TRULY great. Let's say, it is To Kill a Mockingbird.

Agatha Christie, J. K. Rowling, Dan Brown. I would ask, how did they come up with the ideas for their books and if they do a lot of research to make the story realistic.

Anything similar to Fifty Shades of Grey. Never read that one and not going to in the nearest future.

I put fiction and non-fiction separately. Usually non-fiction is in random order or a little bit sorted by a subject, but last time (actually on last Sunday) I rearranged it by height of books. Fiction is in two groups: the books I have already read and the ones still waiting to be read. In each group they are in alphabetical order by authors surnames.

I probably missed some children books. Also Frankenstein is on my to-read list for a very long time.

The Dinner was very well advertised, but wasn't that good. Most of Lithuanians like Jurga Ivanauskaitė books, but I read only one yet and not planning to read more soon.

Mysteries, detective stories, sometimes even horror. I could also read romance, but not too erotic.

The Casual Vacancy - it addresses so many social problems and would be good to read in order to raise the awareness.

Still need to start the book, mentioned in the first answer!

message 4: by Helle (new)

Helle (helleb) | 21 comments 1. What book is on your nightstand now?
None, but Jaws of Darkness (Harry Turtledove) is in my bag.

11/22/63 (Stephen King)

Terry Pratchett, Agatha Christie

Depends, what would surprise you? I guess most friends would be surprised to find The Darkroom Of Damocles – in English. Never read it in Dutch, although in high school it was pretty popular to read for Dutch literature, but I never got round to it. Nowadays I don’t read in Dutch anymore, so when I ran into the English version I just bought it. Haven’t read it yet though.

Alphabetically by author, then by year of publication

I’m not embarrassed about not having read a book; I just read what I like. Maybe just a mild feeling of shame for how long The Pickwick Papers (Charles Dickens) has been sitting on my shelve unread.

The English Patient, I honestly do not understand its popularity. And Moby-Dick; or, The Whale, seriously, how did that become a classic?
(No offence to anyone who does love these books – it’s just a matter of taste, and I am glad there are people who enjoy them)

Detectives/crime stories and fantasy appeal to me most, but I’ll read books of any genre if recommended. There are some authors whose books I’ll never touch (again) though.

Anything he (or she) enjoys. But if he (or she) is interested in some recommendations, they would include The Secret History (Donna Tartt), The Lord of the Rings (Tolkien), Kruistocht in spijkerbroek (Thea Beckman), Murder on the Orient Express (Agatha Christie) and The Promise (Chaim Potok)

Probably The Amber Room (Steve Berry), but I may change my mind, depending on what I feel like after finishing my current book.

message 5: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 43 comments 1. What book is on your nightstand now?

“Third Girl” by Agatha Christie. I’m reading all the books which feature Ariadne Oliver. I’m really enjoying myself.

"The Ocean at the End of the Lane" by Neil Gaiman — Gaiman is a passion and this book in particular spoke to me on a visceral level. I loved the boy’s relationship with the Hempstock ladies; his birthday presents were a boxed set of The Chronicles of Narnia and an album of Gilbert & Sullivan’s Iolanthe. The father’s betrayal (be-witched or not) seemed familiar and true to my own experience – at least emotionally.

Yikes, I can’t imagine. I guess it would be Dame Agatha as I am reading a number of her books in quick succession. I’d ask her: how autobiographical is the character of Ariadne Oliver?

I went through a phase of reading all the children’s books I hadn’t read as a child. I have hundreds on my shelves [it’s NOT hoarding when it’s books!].

My books are arranged in alphabetic order by author last name and by publication date if there are multiple titles by a specific author. I also have books separated by category such as fiction, poetry, drama, biography, non-fiction and children’s literature.

I keep thinking I’ll read “Dracula” or “Frankenstein” but I never do. Someday I will read “Lolita” and “Silent Spring.”

“The Catcher in the Rye” by J. D. Salinger — I found the hero whinny and unsympathetic. I didn’t care what happened to him – it was all uninvolving for me.

I have rather eclectic tastes in reading material. I do enjoy a well written, fast-paced yarn. I like “low” fantasies where extraordinary things happen to ordinary people. I stay clear of overly bleak works – dystopian or nihilistic.

I just don’t know – I’m sure he’s better read than I am. We already think alike politically so anything of that nature he’s probably already read. Maybe something fun like H. G. Wells or Arthur Conan Doyle or, dare I suggest, Agatha Christie.

“Elephants Can Remember” by Agatha Christie.

message 6: by Elizabeth (last edited Jun 11, 2016 09:27PM) (new)

Elizabeth This does sound like fun

1. What book is on your nightstand now?ok so I have a small table beside my bed and it has a lot of my must read paper and hardback books on it:55 total, just to name a few of the : Unseen (Will Trent, #7) by Karin Slaughter by Karin Slaughter, One Mile Under (Ty Hauck #4) by Andrew Gross by Andrew Gross, 77 Shadow Street (Pendleton, #1) by Dean Koontz by Dean Koontz, Deeply Odd (Odd Thomas, #6) by Dean Koontz by Dean Koontz, Insomnia by Stephen King by Stephen King as well as Christine by Stephen King by Stephen Kingand The Boy in the Suitcase Volumes 1 and 2 of the Nina Borg Series Volumes 1 and 2 of the Nina Borg Series by Lene Kaaberbol by Lene Kaaberbøl

2. What was the last truly great book that you read? Jefferson's America The President, the Purchase, and the Explorers Who Transformed a Nation by Julie M. Fenster by Julie M. Fenster 6/1/16-6/7/16

3. If you could meet any writer – dead or alive – who would it be? And what would you want to know? Clive Cussler or James Rollins (live) a dead author would be Agatha Christie.For Mr. Cussler and Rollins it would be about their books and how they go about their research.and for Agatha Christie it would be about her character Hercule Poirot

4. What books might we be surprised to find on your shelves?I read just about anything that catches my eye, but I would have to The Egyptian Book of the Dead by Ernest a Wallis Budge The Egyptian Book of the Dead by Ernest a Wallis Budge

5. How do you organize your personal library? I keep all the series by the same author together, true crime on their own shelf, books about ancient Egypt,Maya,Inca and Aztec their together as well.and books on dinosaurs have their on shelves.

6. What book have you always meant to read and haven’t gotten around to yet? Anything you feel embarrassed never to have read?haven't gotten around to read as of yet Les Misérables by Victor Hugo by Victor Hugo as for being embarrassed at never read it would have to be J.R.R. Tolkien 4-Book Boxed Set The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien by J.R.R. Tolkien

7. Disappointing, overrated, just not good: what book did you feel you were supposed to like but didn't? Secrets of Men in a Lifeboat by Todd R. Baker by Todd R. Baker I DNF it after only 77 ,only thing I actually love is the cover.

8. What kinds of stories are you drawn to? Any you stay clear of?stories I'm drawn to : it depends because I'm really picky on what I read but mostly I would have to say anything that's by James Rollins, Clive Cussler, ancient History ( mostly on Ancient Egypt,Inca,Maya and Aztec) dinosaurs, true crimes ( Serial killers,Jack The Ripper), thrillers, mysteries, action,adventure,horror just to name a few, Books that I stay way from : Christian romance, graphic novels,comics and manga.
9. If you could require the president to read one book, what would it be? The Apache Wars The Hunt for Geronimo, the Apache Kid, and the Captive Boy Who Started the Longest War in American History by Paul Andrew Hutton by Paul Andrew Hutton

10. What do you plan to read next? Don't know I keep changing what I want to read this month.right now I'm reading Blood Infernal (The Order of the Sanguines, #3) by James Rollins by James Rollins and Charnel House by Graham Masterton by Graham Masterton,

message 7: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn Tayla (bookishbrooklyn) | 500 comments 1. What book is on your nightstand now?

Surprisingly, I don't have one. However I have about 20 piles of books next to my bed. Ha.

Hmm. That would be..."A Court of Mist and Fury" by Sarah J Maas

Agatha Christie, of course! I would want to know what really occurred for her during her disappearance. What she thought, and so on.

I don't know? Vintage cookbooks and books about The British Royal family?

I don't. I stack books where they can fit ;)

The Hobbit and The Lord of The Rings Trilogy

Looking for Alaska by John Green

If it ha pages, I'll read it ;)

I would want the Australian PM to read anything by Maya Angelou.

Me After You by Jojo Moyes

:)

LobsterQuadrille | 668 comments 1. What book is on your nightstand now?

"The Tale of Holly How" by Susan Wittig Albert

2.What was the last truly great book that you read?

"The Foundling and Other Tales of Prydain" by Lloyd Alexander

3. If you could meet any author(dead or alive), who would it be? And what would you want to know?

Beatrix Potter or Lloyd Alexander perhaps... Maybe I would ask a bit about their creative process and discarded ideas.

4.What books might we be surprised to find on your shelves?

A lot of Disney-related books.

Generally by just putting books wherever they will fit and are out of harm's way. Though I do group books in series together, of course.

6. What book have you always meant to read but haven't gotten around to yet? Anything you feel embarrassed never to have read?

The Odyssey and The Iliad by Homer

"Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen. I know that so many people love this book, but I guess it's just not my cup of tea.

8. What kind of stories are you drawn to? Any you stay clear of?

I gravitate towards stories with fantasy, mystery, or historical settings. Especially if they have very immersive and beautiful writing as well.
I tend to avoid dystopian and romance-centric literature for the most part.

Not sure, maybe "The Long Secret" by Louise Fitzhugh, simply because it's fantastic.

"The Neverending Story" by Michael Ende

message 9: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 43 comments Brooklyn wrote: "1. What book is on your nightstand now?

Surprisingly, I don't have one. However I have about 20 piles of books next to my bed. Ha.

Hmm. That ..."

Brooklyn - you have to watch the Doctor Who episode called The Unicorn and the Wasp to find out what happened when Agatha disappeared.

message 10: by Carolyn F. (new)

Ivan wrote: "7. Disappointing, overrated, just not good: what book did you feel you were supposed to like but didn't?

“The Catcher in the Rye” by J. D. Salinger — I found the hero whinny and unsympathetic. I didn’t care what happened to him – it was all uninvolving for me.."

Oh my gosh Ivan, I just went to dinner with some neighbors and the wife mentioned that she read this book to her young sons 8 and 10 and that she couldn't believe I've never read it. I bought the audiobook because that's an easy way to "read" it. :)

message 11: by Carolyn F. (new)

I just love reading people's answers to these questions - so interesting. I'm really going to organize my books better this year (I hope).

message 12: by Aušrinė (last edited Jun 15, 2016 12:57AM) (new)

Aušrinė (ausrejurke) | 148 comments Carolyn F. wrote: "I just love reading people's answers to these questions - so interesting. I'm really going to organize my books better this year (I hope)."

I like to rearrange my books once in a while. Probably, at least once a year. When I buy a new book or finish to read one, I put them whenever I can find a place on the shelf. But it soon gets crowded and I like to keep order to easily find everything, so I have to do rearrangements.
Also, this is the only form of tidying up, which I enjoy and even find relaxing :)

message 13: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 43 comments Carolyn F. wrote: "Ivan wrote: "7. Disappointing, overrated, just not good: what book did you feel you were supposed to like but didn't?

“The Catcher in the Rye” by J. D. Salinger — I found the hero whinny and unsy..."

Let me know what you think about it. I read it a very long time ago. Who knows, if I re-read it I might like it now.

message 14: by Carolyn F. (last edited Jun 15, 2016 09:40PM) (new)

Ivan wrote: "Carolyn F. wrote: "Ivan wrote: "7. Disappointing, overrated, just not good: what book did you feel you were supposed to like but didn't?

“The Catcher in the Rye” by J. D. Salinger — I found the h..."

I know the book swears a lot but so do I so not a problem but I can't imagine reading it to little kids. :)

message 15: by Louise (last edited Jun 16, 2016 04:13AM) (new)

Louise Culmer | 129 comments 1. the white Cottage mystery by Margery allingham

2. Undomestic Goddess by sophie Kinsella is the most recent book i've read i have given 5 stars to, absolutely hilarious.

3. jane austen. i want to find out what happens in Sanditon.

4. i don't know. i don't think i read anything that surprising.

5. Fiction is arranged alphabetically by author, non fiction by subject. history, my largest non ficton section, is arranged by period.

6. Nothing I can think of. I just read what I like, and see no reason to read books I don't like.

7. i loved The Hobbit when I was a child, so I expected to enjoy Lord of the rings, but didn't, it was very dull.

8. I like mysteries, humorous stories, romances if they are light and witty, i don't like anything sad.

9. we don't have a president, but I think the prime minister should read the Trouble with europe by roger bootle

10. Next i'm going to read Death of an Airman by christopher st john sprigg

message 16: by Brad (new)

Brad Friedman | 191 comments 1. What book is on your nightstand now?
There are five: The Moai Island Puzzle by Alice Arisugawa (current read), Don't Go Out After Dark by Norman Berrow, The Frightened Stiff by Kelley Roos, Love Lies Bleeding by Edmund Crispin, and Ellery Queen Detective (a comic book collection)!

I just finished Josephine Tey's Miss Pym Disposes and found it both funny and haunting.

It would be easy to say Christie, but she was notoriously shy and didn't like to talk about her process. I think Charles Dickens would be a hoot to chat with, and I would ask him how he juggled the mammoth plots and huge casts of characters.

I have a lot of children's and young adult literature. I love re-reading old favorites from throughout my life, like Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle and the Edward Eager books (Half Magic).

There's a shelf in my bedroom for mystery fiction and non-fiction, a shelf in my living room for most of the film and theatre coffee table books, and most of the rest up in the den, divided into fiction, non-fiction . . . you know, it's not that organized, I guess, but I love exploring!

Haven't read any Tolstoy or George Eliot. (I feel I should read Anna Karenina and Middlemarch.) I've read all of Dickens and Austen, more than once, so I don't know why I don't explore the other classic writers.

Moby Dick. Oy!

I hate romance novels and really heavy duty science fiction. Otherwise, most fiction is probably fair game, although lately I've been sticking almost exclusively to mysteries. I'll read books about film and theatre, but I tend to avoid biographies and other non-fiction. Not enough time! (That can always change.)

Lois Lowry's The Giver, reminding us that we must remember that we can only govern a people if we can respect and nourish their individuality and freedom.

One of the books listed in #1 above, plus I have a bunch on Kindle to read, including the latest Elizabeth George doorstop!

message 17: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 43 comments I love reading these posts.

message 18: by Carolyn F. (new)

Brad wrote: "2. What was the last truly great book that you read?
I just finished Josephine Tey's Miss Pym Disposes and found it both funny and haunting."

I love Josephine Tey. I read all her books in the 1990s. I tried to listen to the audiobooks but the narrator made the characters so flip that it didn't fit. I think of Josephine Tey as a dark Agatha Christie.

message 19: by Brad (new)

Brad Friedman | 191 comments Carolyn F. wrote: "I think of Josephine Tey as a dark Agatha Christie."

I agree with you there, Carolyn. I love AC more than anyone, but Tey seemed more mature and darker. The mystery element here was almost a minor point (which many of my mystery-loving friends complained about), but it was enough for me. Mostly, it was an amazing character study, especially of Miss Pym herself, one of the most delightfully self-deluded characters I've ever come across.

message 20: by Carolyn F. (new)

Ivan wrote: "I love reading these posts."

Me too Ivan :)

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Brad wrote: "1. What book is on your nightstand now?
There are five: The Moai Island Puzzle by Alice Arisugawa (current read), Don't Go Out After Dark by Norman Berrow, The Frightened Stiff by Kelley Roos, Love..."

I was interested to read what you said of Josephine Tey's Miss Pym Disposes. This is one of my favourite books--I've read it many times. I love the setting; I'm a sucker for books set in a school. I love Miss Pym and her interior dialogue. I also enjoyed all the students and the various teachers--wonderful characterisation. The school's principal was as self-deluded as Miss Pym herself, setting in motion the fatal outcome. A great book.

message 22: by Louise (new)

Louise Culmer | 129 comments i found miss Pym Disposes really annoying. The stupid woman got everything wrong.

message 23: by Renee (last edited Jun 19, 2016 10:53PM) (new)

Renee | 447 comments So I'm going to try and answer these as best I can because I've been enjoying reading everyone else's answers.

Mrs. McGinty's Dead because I have fallen pretty far behind on the book of the month reads and am trying to catch up. The Return of the King I've been slowly reading for a while and really need to finish.

I'd have to say David Copperfield. I thought it was a brilliant book and loved every bit of it. Growing up I had not read many of the classics that everyone else has. I'm so glad I started reading them because I have found so many great books!

I would love to ask Agatha Christie how she came up with her ideas for her stories. She gets me every time. Only a couple times have I been lucky enough to figure it out myself. Charles Dickens seems like he would be interesting to talk to also, though I don't have anything specific I would ask him.

Fifty Shades of Grey because my husband bought it for me as a joke on my birthday quite a few years back. I really wish he'd bought me a book I wanted to read though as I've never even opened that one so it seems like a waste.

Nothing is organized at all right now. I really need to get another bookcase so I can organize them again.

Answer to both would probably be A Tale of Two Cities. I've always meant to read it, but seem to always be reading something else. I love all the Dickens I have read so far, and really need to get around to reading the rest of his books.

I know a lot of people seem to like it, and my husband loved it but I just couldn't like A Clockwork Orange. I guess I just couldn't get into it. Maybe it was the language, I don't know. Just not my sort of book I guess.

Mysteries of course! I'm also trying to read all the classics that I've not read yet, and have enjoyed quite a few of them so far. Also, Fiction and I've been enjoying some Fantasy novels also. I never read Non-fiction though and am not drawn to Romance novels. I used to read those Harlequin romance books as a kid, but never would I go near those now.

David Copperfield because I just thought it was a wonderful book. I couldn't put it down.

Mrs. McGinty's Dead as I mentioned above, and probably The Big Sleep because it was a book of the month read for another group that I missed out on a while ago and have always wanted to read it.

Sorry guys, this seems to have turned out to be much longer than I thought it would but it was fun to fill out.

message 24: by Kim (last edited Jun 19, 2016 09:23AM) (new)

Kim (crossreactivity) Renee wrote: "I know a lot of people seem to like it, and my husband loved it but I just couldn't like A Clockwork Orange."

I tried twice but could not get into this one either.

message 25: by Kim (last edited Jun 19, 2016 02:18PM) (new)

Kim (crossreactivity) 1. What book is on your nightstand now? In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. I’ve always meant to read it. Fascinating and chilling; I recommend it.

2. What was the last truly great book that you read? I recently finished The Forsyte Saga. It’s not a comedy of manners (like Austen or Trollope), which I’m a little tired of right now. The characters are more human and have complex motivations. This book made my list of favorites read in 2016.

3. If you could meet any writer – dead or alive – who would it be? And what would you want to know? There are so many I’d like to meet… But right now I’m hooked on the Longmire series, so I’d love to chat with Craig Johnson and find out what people and what experiences inspired his wonderful characters.

4. What books might we be surprised to find on your shelves? I’ve been reading more philosophy lately; Camus, for instance. So for Mother’s Day, my son gave me a couple of books – Fear and Trembling by Soren Kierkegaard and A Treatise of Human Nature by David Hume.

5. How do you organize your personal library? Alphabetically by author, nothing fancy.

6. What book have you always meant to read and haven’t gotten around to yet? Anything you feel embarrassed never to have read? The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky. I’ve started it twice and am determined to finish it, if it takes me all year.

7. Disappointing, overrated, just not good: what book did you feel you were supposed to like but didn't? There are lots in this category: A Clockwork Orange, The Great Gatsby, Oliver Twist, The Handmaids Tale, and Atonement (just to name a few).

8. What kinds of stories are you drawn to? Any you stay clear of? I like classics, mystery and science fiction. I’ll try just about anything, but find I’m generally disappointed by contemporary (chick lit) and fantasy unless recommended by readers I trust.

9. If you could require the president to read one book, what would it be? Heavens, I don’t know. Something enjoyable? The Count of Monte Cristo never disappoints.

10. What do you plan to read next? I’ve got book 4 in the Longmire series (Another Man’s Moccasins) on deck. Also Corrag by Susan Fletcher and The High Window by Raymond Chandler (audiobook narrated by Ray Porter, who is excellent in this series).

message 26: by Katheryn (new)

Katheryn Thompson (katherynt) 1. What book is on your nightstand now?
31 Treats And A Marriage by Lynn Farley-Rose

The Children Act by Ian McEwan

Oscar Wilde and I would want to know what he is actually like as a person

The Iron Man and The Iron Woman

In alphabetical order (of author, according to their surname) within genre

More William Shakespeare

The Jackson Brodie series by Kate Atkinson

I'm drawn to murder mysteries and stay clear of romance

The Aeneid

Over the Line by Steve Howell

message 27: by Carolyn F. (new)

♪ Kim wrote: "3. If you could meet any writer – dead or alive – who would it be? And what would you want to know? There are so many I’d like to meet… But right now I’m hooked on the Longmire series, so I’d love to chat with Craig Johnson and find out what people and what experiences inspired his wonderful characters."

I love the Longmire books. I'm slowly going through the series.

message 28: by Carolyn F. (new)

Katheryn wrote: "3. If you could meet any writer – dead or alive – who would it be? And what would you want to know?
Oscar Wilde and I would want to know what he is actually like as a person"

Oooh, Oscar Wilde, he would be interesting to meet.

message 29: by Kim (new)

Kim (crossreactivity) Carolyn F. wrote: "I love the Longmire books. I'm slowly going through the series.."

Me too; VERY slowly to make them last as long as possible.

message 30: by Nouf (last edited Jul 12, 2016 04:18PM) (new)

Nouf (noufis) | 71 comments 1. What book is on your nightstand now?
The Thirteen Problems by Agatha Christie.

The A.B.C. Murders by Agatha Christie, and the Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.

Paulo Coelho, Agatha Christie, J.K. Rowling, J.R.R. Tolkien
I would like to know how did they came up with the characters in their books.

The Hen Who Dreamed She Could Fly by Sun-mi Hwang.

Alphabetically by author.

Dan Brown's books.

The Broken Wings by Kahlil Gibran.

I like mystery novels of course, also i like romance novels but not as much as i like mystery novels.

Nothing specific.

The Witch Of Portobello by Paulo Coelho, and Unbearable Lightness: A Story of Loss and Gain by Portia de Rossi.

message 31: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) 1. What book is on your nightstand now?

Seers of Verde: The Legend Fulfilled by M.L. Williams

Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult

I would like to spend a day with Charlotte Brontë, Emily Brontë, and Anne Brontë at the Haworth Vicarage

Portal of the Wind by Shizuko Natsuki

By size and author.

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid

romantic suspense; stories set in the time before, during, and after WWI; historical mysteries; gothic fiction; true crime

This President? I'm not sure. He seems pretty smart. It's the other side I worry about.

Cold-Hearted Rake by Lisa Kleypas

message 32: by Carolyn F. (new)

Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "9. If you could require the president to read one book, what would it be?

This President? I'm not sure. He seems pretty smart. It's the other side I worry about."

LOL

message 33: by shanghao (last edited Jul 27, 2016 08:46AM) (new)

shanghao (sanshow) | 38 comments 1. What book is on your nightstand now?

Ancient Herbs, Modern Medicine: Improving Your Health by Combining Chinese Herbal Medicine and Western Medicine by Henry Han et al

Love and Other Stories by Anton Chekov

Ted Chiang - I'd like to know what are the images that inspire him and how he gets his message across so eloquently while building a fascinating virtual world each time. Oh, and JK Rowling of course, to talk about mystery books and persuade her to include me as a sidekick in her latest fantasy/mystery series XD

The Trump Card: Playing to Win in Work and Life by Ivanka Trump (plan to read it...can't let this one go on collecting dust what with all the performances in the US!)

By genre (fiction/non fiction/graphic books) and language.

Don Quixote by Miguel Cervantes
I've started the book in bits and pieces but have never quite gotten very far with it, I have to pick it up again one of these days.

The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie King

Simply awful and not even a passable mystery, not to mention the icky author-character projections. It has really scared me off Holmes rewrites, though I'm sure there are some good ones out there.

Young adult fantasy with a fast-paced game/tournament-style environment, especially Japanese ones since most are better written than US YA books; golden-age/locked-room mysteries; non-fiction books on the supernatural, although I'm sometimes too squeamish to read those. I'm not big on romance books, have read some short story anthology by currently popular romance writers and have found them quite contrived.

I wouldn't force anyone to read any book, and I'm not sure my president has any spare time on his hands to read books now ^^;

Summer Days & Summer Nights: Twelve Love Stories by Stephanie Perkins

message 34: by Carolyn F. (new)

sanny wrote: "8. What kinds of stories are you drawn to? Any you stay clear of?

Young adult fantasy with a fast-paced game/tournament-style environment, especially Japanese ones since most are better written than US YA books.."

My daughter says the same thing Sanny. She's been reading translated Japanese YA fantasy books for years.

message 35: by Joanna (new)

Joanna | 30 comments 1. What book is on your nightstand now?
War And Peace by Leo Tolstoy
Les Miserables
I would like to meet John Green and ask for advice and know about all his work and I just have so much to ask
I read a lot of classics even though I'm 13 so books like The Plague, Of Mice And Men might surprise some people
Many of my books are on my kindle, usually they're separated by author and by genre.
I really want to read David Copperfield, I've heard great things about it and I think I'd enjoy it. I don't specifically feel embarrassed about not having read a certain book but I'm embarassed I don't read more.

Little Women was one of the worst books I've ever read. Too long, dreary, it lost all its depth and I only read it for the sake of knowing who marries who, and the marriages in the end made no sense based on how the characters had evolved throughout the story. Confusing and dull.

I don't see myself reading gruesome thrillers but I try to be open minded. From The Hunger Games to Pride and Prejudice a good book is a good book, though Young Adult and Classics are my top choices.
Les Miserables, it's underrated and it's the most beautiful depiction of ugly humanity you'll ever find.

I'm thinking Animal Farm or The Great Gatsby, but I really haven't decided.

message 36: by Carolyn F. (new)

Wow, Joanna. I didn't start reading the classics until my 20s. I'm very impressed.

message 37: by Candy (new)

Candy | 11 comments 1. What book is on your nightstand now?
The Case of the Philosophers Ring by Dr. John Watson Unearthed by Randall Collins. Just finished.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Annie Barrows. It was the last book that stayed with me several days after reading.

I think I would enjoy having a conversation with Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I would like to see the difference between his fairy's and spirit world side vs his logical Sherlock side.

Right now I have Quiet Strength by Tony Dungy on my "to read" shelve.

It's not organized at all right now. When it is, it's alphabetical by authors last name.

6. What book have you always meant to read and haven’t gotten around to yet? Anything you feel embarrassed never to have read? Always meant to read East of Eden. I've picked it up several times; I just haven't opened it. I'm not embarrassed about not reading anything

The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George

I enjoy stories with atmosphere. Usually, foggy, rainy nights. I also enjoy closed circle of suspects types. I stay clear of anything involving animal cruelty or abuse and anything to dark.

Nothing really

Endless Night by Agatha Christie

message 38: by Carolyn F. (new)

Candy wrote: "2. What was the last truly great book that you read?
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Annie Barrows. It was the last book that stayed with me several days after reading...."

I LOVED that book! I keep recommending it to various people I run into. I heard there was supposed to be a movie with Kate Winslet but I haven't seen anything yet.

message 39: by Marmie7 (new)

Marmie7 | 7 comments 1. What book is on your nightstand now?
The Fifth Season By N. K. Jemisin

Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

Agatha Christie- no idea

My Lucille Ball.Katherine Hepburn collection

I have Fantasy sci fi on one unit, fiction on another. Then I have a fantasy (my Game of Thrones collection) and contemporary bookcase, and my Lucille Ball.Hepburn with poetry bookcase. My Horror books are with my dvds.

Little Women-love the movies, have never read the book!

The Beautiful and the Damned by Fitzgerald, American Psycho By Ellis-hated that one.

Loving the Fantasy Genre at the moment-not a romance fan

9. If you could require the president to read one book, what would it be? Definitely Name of the Wind-love that book!

10. What do you plan to read next? Trigger Warning by Gaiman

message 40: by Carolyn F. (new)

Marmie7 wrote: "10. What do you plan to read next? Trigger Warning by Gaiman."

I didn't even know this book was out Marmie.

message 41: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine (saanichlori) | 2214 comments What book is on your nightstand now?
Hard Truth by Nevada Barr

Dust by Hugh Howey

Stephen King - I'd want to know how he thinks

Life by Keith Richards

Shelves of books I've read, and by size, then shelves I haven't read.

Probably David Copperfield by Charles Dickens.

The House at Riverton Kate Morton. I had read so many glowing reviews I expected to love it, but really had trouble finishing it.

I love mysteries, but steer clear of really gruesome murder stories.

9. If you could require the president to read one book, what would it be? No idea - anyone running for president has probably read more books that I have. Except for maybe one person.

10. What do you plan to read next? Sex and the City by Candace Bushnell

reply | flag *

message 42: by Carolyn F. (new)

Lorraine wrote: ".9. If you could require the president to read one book, what would it be? No idea - anyone running for president has probably read more books that I have. Except for maybe one person."

Hmmm, I wonder who that could be? :)

message 43: by Candy (new)

Candy | 11 comments Carolyn F. wrote: "Candy wrote: "2. What was the last truly great book that you read?
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Annie Barrows. It was the last book that stayed with me several days after re..."

I had not heard that, but would love to see a movie!!

message 44: by Carolyn F. (new)

I keep looking for it Candy

message 45: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 43 comments Carolyn F. wrote: "I keep looking for it Candy"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTDNG...

message 46: by Teri (last edited Jul 27, 2018 04:22PM) (new)

Teri (teria) So this hasn't been active for awhile, but I love filling out questionnaires like this, so I'm going for it anyway.

I am currently reading Wild Storm by the fictional author Richard Castle (love Nathan Fillion so I picture him actually writing it anyway). I am also listening to The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics by Daniel James Brown as an audiobook in my car.

Dear Ijeawele, or a Feminist Manifesto in Fifteen Suggestions by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Feminism gets an unfairly bad rap in some quarters, and this little book explains feminism in a way that everyone is likely to understand.

Mark Twain, because I think he would be highly entertaining. I don't know that I would ask a lot. I'd just be happy to hear him talk.

Since I'm no longer religious, it might be surprising how many religious books I still own. Possibly I've just been too lazy to figure out what to do with them.

I separate fiction and non-fiction. Fiction is sorted alphabetically by author, with any series sorted by publication date. Non-fiction is loosely sorted by topics. Books I have yet to read are in a separate small bookcase.

Frankenstein and Dracula seem like books I should have read long before now. I'm determined to read them this October. Not really any I'm embarrassed about not yet reading.

Two in the past month were The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger and The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald. These were two books I actually was embarrassed I hadn't read yet, and then I really didn't care for either one and cannot figure out why people love them.

I'm drawn to anything I think might be interesting, so I read non-fiction, biographies, memoirs, contemporary fiction, historical fiction, sci-fi, fantasy, thrillers, mysteries, best sellers, classics. I rarely read romance or horror novels.

I would be delighted if the current president would read any book.

Catch Me If You Can: The True Story of a Real Fake by Frank W Abagnale or The Knowledge: A Richard Jury Mystery by Martha Grimes (both of which I just picked up at the library)

message 47: by Carolyn F. (new)

Ivan wrote: "Carolyn F. wrote: "I keep looking for it Candy"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTDNG..."

Thanks Ivan! I've borrowed someone's Netflix so I can watch it (hopefully next week)!

message 48: by Carolyn F. (new)

Teri wrote: "So this hasn't been active for awhile, but I love filling out questionnaires like this, so I'm going for it anyway.

Mark Twain, because I think he would be highly entertaining. I don't know that I would ask a lot. I'd just be happy to hear him talk."

Me too, I'd just sit there with a stupid smile waiting for his pearls of wisdom. He'd probably walk out.

message 49: by Dianeby (last edited Sep 02, 2018 11:46PM) (new)

Dianeby Go (noblestripes) | 9 comments 1. What book is on your nightstand now?
Joan Crawford by Bob Thomas

The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli

Agatha Christie, I would ask her "How did you do it?"

Books by Rick Riordan, Eoin Colfer, Dan Brown, and of course Joan Crawford.

It's not that organized since I'm in desperate need of shelf space.

Malala Yousafzai's book

JK Rowling's post-Potter books

Historical fiction, I tend to steer clear of horror stories.

The Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama

More Agatha Christie

message 50: by Maximilian (new)

Maximilian Birner | 25 comments 1. What book is on your nightstand now?
A Different Kind Of Evil by Andrew Wilson

Five Little Pigs
Agatha Christie... of course!
Magpie Murders? Or that may be a little too obvious. Let's just say I'm addicted to whodunits.
Agatha Christie has it's own crate, series that have more than 5 books have a crate. The rest are put together for other reasons.
Cards On A Table, its a favorite and I still have not read it.
SAD CYPRESS! People say this book is very good, but I can't find very much good things to say about it. (Also The Murder Of Roger Ackroyd.)
Drawn to whodunits and not very violent ghost stories. I stay clear of books that try to cover modern issues or the life of an average human.
I would love too see Trump read FEAR. Oh, what a funny combination would that be!
Murder In Mesopotamia. This makes me look bad because I know everybody isn't a fan but I had to get this one because it's cover. Plus, I can get it over with for the future.

« previous 1