Play Book Tag discussion

Archives 2016-2017 > 30 Days of Books: Day 23

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenni Elyse (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1313 comments Today's prompt is a book you've wanted to read for a long time but haven't. There are so many books I could choose for this prompt since I've only really been reading for nine years. I know I've missed out on a lot of good books and I'm trying to catch up, even though I probably never will.

I'm choosing Anne of Green Gables by LM Montgomery because it has been on my TBR since I was a teenager. I loved the movies so much that I tried to read the book, but I just couldn't get through the first chapter. My parents even bought me the series, hoping in vain, that I'd finally found the reading bug.

I don't know where those books are anymore and I'm sad about that. I do own them on my Kindle now, though, so it's just a matter of taking the time to read them. I'll admit that I'm a little scared to read them. I'm afraid I've built them up so high in my mind that they'll never live up to my expectations. I really hope when I do finally read them that I'll like them. Only time will tell, I guess.

What book have you wanted to read for a long time but haven't?

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Sooooo many! I'm going to say Pride and Prejudice. I never seem to be in the mood.

message 3: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4979 comments Way too many! I managed to cross of Anne Frank last year or that would by my #1 answer. Also, the year before I managed to read Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret. Both are books I learned of in my teens that I never got around to reading.

I think Frankenstein is probably the one that has been on my TBR the longest. I started it in 2010 but never got past the first few pages.

message 4: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3809 comments Les Miserables! Been meaning to read it since I first saw the musical in middle school. It always gets surpassed by something newer and less daunting.

message 5: by Book Concierge (last edited Jun 08, 2016 06:31PM) (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5803 comments Well, I finally read Peyton Place earlier this year .. which I had wanted to read since the TV series was popular back in the 1960s!

So I think the book I've wanted to read the longest, but haven't gotten to yet is probably Marjorie Morningstar ... which has been on my "tbr" list since sometime in the early-to-mid 1970s.

And the next longest is And Ladies of the Club, which I've been meaning to read since it debuted in 1982!

message 6: by LibraryCin (last edited Jun 08, 2016 06:33PM) (new)

LibraryCin | 8335 comments This is where I miss shelfari again. I'm not sure if I can get to my tbr in order of when I added it on GR or LT or not.

ETA: I'm not sure it would be accurate on GR or LT, anyway.

message 7: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2817 comments I used to say Anna Karenina in answer to this question, but I think I've resigned myself to the fact that I will never read it. Or that I will never read all of it. I've read enough to know that I wasn't enjoying it.

Next on the list? There are many, many. It's a long list.
The Count of Monte Cristo has been waiting a long time.

message 9: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4979 comments Sarah wrote: "Watership Down"

Oh Sarah, you are missing something! You should try to get to this soon! This is one of my favorite books and I used to read it over and over as a child. I've even memorized some passages! I highly recommend it.

message 10: by Red52 (new)

message 12: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marniegoodrich) | 106 comments I have a lot of these that all tend to be 1001 classic types such as The Count of Monte Cristo. Also up there would be Les Mis, Anna Karenina, War and Peace. My book that haunts me though is Ulysses, I've tried so many times and failed.

message 13: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments The Three Musketeers

I loved The Count of Monte Cristo and have always wanted to get to more of Dumas's work, but they are all endlessly long and a challenge to read.

I agree with Marnie above: most of my "want to read but never have" are classics. I could easily add David Copperfield, Frankenstein, Lolita, Tess of the D'Urbervilles, ....etc. etc....

message 14: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments Rina1775 wrote: "Dracula"

Rina, I listened to this on audio last Halloween, the version with Tim Curry and Alan Cummings. It was masterfully done! If you have the opportunity to "read" that version, I highly encourage you to do so!

Maybe this Halloween for a fall-themed read :)

message 15: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments JoLene wrote: "Gone with the Wind"

Stop what you are doing and start this book. Now.

It is long but doesn't even feel that way as you get swept up into it. I am often surprised that so many people criticize the book for being racist and I encourage you to keep the mindset that this was Civil War south. Of course it is racist. Of course there is slavery. The nation was fighting a war over it.

message 16: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments Joi wrote: "Les Miserables! Been meaning to read it since I first saw the musical in middle school. It always gets surpassed by something newer and less daunting."

I never ever ever say this about books, but you could easily read the abridged version of this and be satisfied.

message 17: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments annapi wrote: "I think Frankenstein is probably the one that has been on my TBR the longest. I started it in 2010 but never got past the first few pages. ..."

Maybe we could read Frankenstein this October as part of the fall-themed reading challenge?

message 18: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marniegoodrich) | 106 comments Nicole wrote: "The Three Musketeers

I loved The Count of Monte Cristo and have always wanted to get to more of Dumas's work, but they are all endlessly long and a challenge to read.

I ag..."

Ha, we are opposites, I read and loved The Three Musketeers years ago and still can't quite get myself to actually read the beautiful edition I have of The Count.

message 19: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8529 comments The book I for so long have wanted to get to, is Once We Were Brothers. It's remained on my TBR and I even own it. I hope with all these challenges, I can somehow choose it soon.

message 20: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments Marnie wrote: "Nicole wrote: "The Three Musketeers

I loved The Count of Monte Cristo and have always wanted to get to more of Dumas's work, but they are all endlessly long and a challenge..."

Sounds like we should read each other's favorite the next PBT monthly tag that fits Monsieur Dumas :)

message 21: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marniegoodrich) | 106 comments Nicole wrote: "Marnie wrote: "Nicole wrote: "The Three Musketeers

I loved The Count of Monte Cristo and have always wanted to get to more of Dumas's work, but they are all endlessly long ..."

Maybe that would give me the little extra push. :) You are already one ahead of me with Ms. Gabaldon.

message 22: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments Marnie wrote: "Maybe that would give me the little extra push. :) You are already one ahead of me with Ms. Gabaldon. ..."

You have read through two? I have #4 up next and am determined to get to it this summer....Probably. I think.

message 23: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marniegoodrich) | 106 comments Nicole wrote: "Marnie wrote: "Maybe that would give me the little extra push. :) You are already one ahead of me with Ms. Gabaldon. ..."

You have read through two? I have #4 up next and am determined to get to i..."

Yep, 2 so far I want to get to the third soon or I am going to be behind in the show just like I have been with GOT.

message 24: by Kimber (new)

Kimber (kimberwolf) | 836 comments There are so many books that I have wanted to read for a long time. Although I dearly love my book discussion groups, it does mean I'm committed to read certain books that I haven't chosen for myself on a regular basis, and leaves less time for me to read books I've chosen for myself. There are benefits to this, in that I read books outside of my comfort zone (which I think is important to stretching your mind) and also books that I've loved that I wouldn't have chosen on my own. But the downside is that my personal choices end up playing second fiddle most of the time.

One book that has been on my shelves for a really long time that I should be able to get to this summer is Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury.

message 25: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments Marnie wrote: "Nicole wrote: "Marnie wrote: "Maybe that would give me the little extra push. :) You are already one ahead of me with Ms. Gabaldon. ..."

You have read through two? I have #4 up next and am determi..."

I am going to move this conversation to your GR notes section. I have many questions....

message 26: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4979 comments Nicole wrote: "Maybe we could read Frankenstein this October as part of the fall-themed reading challenge?"

That would be great! I could use someone to push me to finish this! :)

message 27: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments annapi wrote: "Nicole wrote: "Maybe we could read Frankenstein this October as part of the fall-themed reading challenge?"

That would be great! I could use someone to push me to finish this! :)"

Unless I am looking at something wrong, it appears that Frankenstein is less than 200 pages?! We can totally read that in October :)

message 28: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marniegoodrich) | 106 comments Nicole wrote: "annapi wrote: "Nicole wrote: "Maybe we could read Frankenstein this October as part of the fall-themed reading challenge?"

That would be great! I could use someone to push me to finish this! :)"

..."

Yes, Frankenstein is relatively short but wonderful. One of those I can't believe I waited this long to read this. Eye-opening too considering the story you are told in Hollywood etc.

message 29: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3809 comments I'm surprised so many people HAVEN'T read Frankenstein, it was required reading in freshman year for me. I believe it was required for all the high schools in our district too and for both honors and non-honors classes. The only other book I remember like this was Romeo and Juliet.

message 30: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments Count me in on one that hasn't read Frankenstein. I have however seen the movie Young Frankenstein, so I'm sure that I don't really need to read the book ;-)

message 31: by Nicole R (last edited Jun 09, 2016 11:01AM) (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments Joi wrote: "I'm surprised so many people HAVEN'T read Frankenstein, it was required reading in freshman year for me. I believe it was required for all the high schools in our district too and for ..."

It may have very well been required reading in my high school, but I didn't realize it because I was not in regular English classes and we had a different curriculum from honors and non-honors classes.

I remember that we had to read The Jungle, Light in August, and Their Eyes Were Watching God for sure. I know there were a couple of others as well but I don't remember what they were....

message 32: by Jenni Elyse (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1313 comments Nicole wrote: "annapi wrote: "I think Frankenstein is probably the one that has been on my TBR the longest. I started it in 2010 but never got past the first few pages. ..."

Maybe we could read Frankenstein this..."

That would be a lot of fun. I haven't read it yet, but want to. My IRL book club is reading it for October too. So, I could kill two birds with one stone. :D

message 33: by Sunday (new)

Sunday Reynolds | 6 comments I can't pick! I have a list of books that I have been wanting to read and I have some I bought from the library for ridiculously cheap. Just not enough time in the day. I guess I'll go with Grimm's Fairy Tales. A friend told me to read them a long time ago.

I haven't read Frankenstein either. My freshman year of high school we had to read/study Shakespeare. I'll have to add that to my list.

message 34: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments Jenni Elyse wrote: "Nicole wrote: "annapi wrote: "I think Frankenstein is probably the one that has been on my TBR the longest. I started it in 2010 but never got past the first few pages. ..."

Maybe we could read Fr..."

If I forget when October rolls around, be sure to remind me. I am in for a little group read!

message 35: by Marti (new)

Marti (coloreader) | 84 comments War and Peace. Especially since I watched the mini-series.